Europe as a whole is more violent than U.S. As a whole....even with gun restrictions....

Do you have any reason to believe the OP should have disregarded data from European countries other than Germany, France and the United Kingdom?
Of course not, and I have no idea how he arrived at a murder rate of 9.2, everything I've seen puts it at somewhere between around 3.

I'd be surprised if any European country had a murder rate over 9, except maybe Russia.

His chart is not just murders it is all violent crimes and yes places like Britain have a higher rate of violent crimes then the US and that includes Britain failing to report crimes because they will make them look worse.
Do you have a source of violent crime rates by country in Europe?

I might have missed it but the link provided by OP just made a reference to "official stats" but I couldn't find the supporting data anywhere.

Do you have any reason to believe the OP should have disregarded data from European countries other than Germany, France and the United Kingdom?
Of course not, and I have no idea how he arrived at a murder rate of 9.2, everything I've seen puts it at somewhere between around 3.

I'd be surprised if any European country had a murder rate over 9, except maybe Russia.

Well the OP data is cited ... And Europe consists of 50 countries (the data omitted 3 countries ... Ireland, Iceland and the UK).

My point was that arguments consisting of European countries should include more than the preferred three. And that if strict gun laws are supposed to reduce crime rates ... We don't have to look at Europe when we have examples here.

I can't find the source of the Stats for Europe, they are obviously cherry picked.
And they don't seem to match these figures:
List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
His chart is not just murders it is all violent crimes and yes places like Britain have a higher rate of violent crimes then the US and that includes Britain failing to report crimes because they will make them look worse.
Britain have recently revised their reporting criteria which actually make their statistics look worse.

Well the OP data is cited ... And Europe consists of 50 countries (the data omitted 3 countries ... Ireland, Iceland and the UK).
Where? I just see a table someone made with numbers for Europe, nothing about where that came from.

Do you have a source of violent crime rates by country in Europe?

I might have missed it but the link provided by OP just made a reference to "official stats" but I couldn't find the supporting data anywhere.
Google it. just Google violent crime rates however be aware some of the charts use numbers of crimes and not percentages per population, for example they do that for some of the violence stats and it makes the US look worse but when you do the percentage per pop it turns out several of the Western European Countries are worse by a large margin. Don't know about Eastern Europe and if his status include Russia you have a major problem even with murder.

Interesting compilation of numbers from the Ally...so if you have a problem...take your outrage over there....

Europe Vs. United States Crime Rates Extrano s Alley a gun blog

"Well, I am always pleased to be of assistance. Before I begin let me “st the stage,” starting with the fact that Europe consists of 50 countries. The following table provides the averaged crime rate for the 47 “continental” European countries, omitting Iceland, Ireland, and the United Kingdom.

The United States numbers are taken from the FBI’s 2013 Uniform Crime Report, primarly tables 1 and 1a at this link.

European numbers are taken from the 47 countries included’s official reports, and I have, or will, list post each of the major counties crime rates as I get time.

The starred (*) numbers generally do not include crimes in which a Roma or other immigrant is the victim, so the actual rate is certainly somewhat higher than those indicated.

And with the preliminaries taken care of, let’s look at the crime rates, in crimes per 100,000 population:"

And with the preliminaries taken care of, let’s look at the crime rates, in crimes per 100,000 population:

Obviously, Europe generally has higher violent and other crime rates than the United States. And, while the United States continues its 21 year decline in both violent and property crime rates:"

Europe’s numbers are grinding slowly and inexorably up.

But if belief made it so, these numbers could not be true. Because there are still those who believe “no guns makes safe.” Which is an even bigger lie than “the check is in the mail.”
I assume you included Russia in your Europe numbers didn't you?

Google it. just Google violent crime rates however be aware some of the charts use numbers of crimes and not percentages per population, for example they do that for some of the violence stats and it makes the US look worse but when you do the percentage per pop it turns out several of the Western European Countries are worse by a large margin. Don't know about Eastern Europe and if his status include Russia you have a major problem even with murder.
You made the claim, why should I go searching to support it?

What is your source for violent crime stats from Europe?

He links to another blogger with no sources for his claims

Exactly, just a vague reference on that blog to official numbers that he'll put up some day.

I'm quite skeptical as to the validity since he shows a murder rate of 9.2%, but a glance down a list of European countries it seems impossible no matter who he includes/excludes.

There is also this regional aggregation:

iDE7riJ.png

Exactly, just a vague reference on that blog to official numbers that he'll put up some day.

I'm quite skeptical as to the validity since he shows a murder rate of 9.2%, but a glance down a list of European countries it seems impossible no matter who he includes/excludes.

I don't see how you can add a bunch of countries with a murder rate below 2% and come up with a 9.2% murder rate. Even throwing in Russia wouldn't do that.

Interesting compilation of numbers from the Ally...so if you have a problem...take your outrage over there....

Europe Vs. United States Crime Rates Extrano s Alley a gun blog

"Well, I am always pleased to be of assistance. Before I begin let me “st the stage,” starting with the fact that Europe consists of 50 countries. The following table provides the averaged crime rate for the 47 “continental” European countries, omitting Iceland, Ireland, and the United Kingdom.

The United States numbers are taken from the FBI’s 2013 Uniform Crime Report, primarly tables 1 and 1a at this link.

European numbers are taken from the 47 countries included’s official reports, and I have, or will, list post each of the major counties crime rates as I get time.

The starred (*) numbers generally do not include crimes in which a Roma or other immigrant is the victim, so the actual rate is certainly somewhat higher than those indicated.

And with the preliminaries taken care of, let’s look at the crime rates, in crimes per 100,000 population:"

And with the preliminaries taken care of, let’s look at the crime rates, in crimes per 100,000 population:

Obviously, Europe generally has higher violent and other crime rates than the United States. And, while the United States continues its 21 year decline in both violent and property crime rates:"

Europe’s numbers are grinding slowly and inexorably up.

But if belief made it so, these numbers could not be true. Because there are still those who believe “no guns makes safe.” Which is an even bigger lie than “the check is in the mail.”

Somebody should chart the last 100 years, and log all the Nazi and Communist murders in there too.

Like I mentioned above ... You can still compare the data you provided for three states (replace Alabama with Oregon using your data) ... And my point remains the same.

Gun laws vary by state in the United States as do gun laws in European countries. If you are going to include them all in your your comparison then all European countries can be included.

If you want to make the point more strict gun laws are a determining factor ... Then you have to address the fact states with strict gun laws often have higher murder rates than some states that don't have strict laws.

I just proved to you that wasn't the case. Why does Alabama have the 2nd highest murder rate? Why does the U.S. Have a higher murder rate than almost every, and possibly actually every, country in Europe?
Grubercrats!!!

The internet.

There is also this regional aggregation:

iDE7riJ.png

If you look at the data. Russia has the worst murder rate in what may be consider Europe at 9.2........ Coincidence?

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Interestingly you've been able to google up just about everything but what you specifically made a statement about... violent crime rates.

Forum List

Back