🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Evangelicals

Questioner

Nov 26, 2019
Anyone care to give me a history of the "evangelical" movement?

Usually I just see "evangelical" used as a buzzword for any Christian or group someone dislikes, with no documentation of their history, theology, and so forth.

It all started with this ...

R-1177094-1316853058.jpeg.jpg

Well Questioner, you could look it up on Wiki and see it's the part of Christianity that believes in being "born again" and bringing the Word of God to everyone who hasn't heard it.

I also think that they are the most annoying part of Christianity. And, while some have said that the Golden Rule is "do unto others as you would have them do unto you", that means that sharing the Word of God is the best thing that someone could do to them, meaning they should do it to everyone else.

Sorry, but I don't believe like that. Matter of fact, I believe the opposite, "DON'T do unto others as you wouldn't like to be treated". I don't like it when people try to push their views off on me, so I don't do it to others. However, if a person starts a conversation with me about spiritual things, I'm willing to talk to them and will respect their views, as long as they respect mine. If they start pushing their brand of spirituality off on me as the only "right" one, that is where I part ways with them.

Personally? I think that God is too big to be contained in just one dogma or religion. I believe that all religions have pretty much the same thing (something better, something worse, what we do in this life determines what happens next, there is a force for Good, and there is also a force for Evil, etc.), and because of that, I view God as a multiple faceted being, with each facet being represented by a major religion.

Well Questioner, you could look it up on Wiki and see it's the part of Christianity that believes in being "born again" and bringing the Word of God to everyone who hasn't heard it.

I also think that they are the most annoying part of Christianity. And, while some have said that the Golden Rule is "do unto others as you would have them do unto you", that means that sharing the Word of God is the best thing that someone could do to them, meaning they should do it to everyone else.

Sorry, but I don't believe like that. Matter of fact, I believe the opposite, "DON'T do unto others as you wouldn't like to be treated". I don't like it when people try to push their views off on me, so I don't do it to others. However, if a person starts a conversation with me about spiritual things, I'm willing to talk to them and will respect their views, as long as they respect mine. If they start pushing their brand of spirituality off on me as the only "right" one, that is where I part ways with them.

Personally? I think that God is too big to be contained in just one dogma or religion. I believe that all religions have pretty much the same thing (something better, something worse, what we do in this life determines what happens next, there is a force for Good, and there is also a force for Evil, etc.), and because of that, I view God as a multiple faceted being, with each facet being represented by a major religion.
Ive never had a talk about spiritual matters with anybody. I would be appalled if somebody started one and would be looking for an exit straight away. It is seen as bad form over here. We used to laugh at US politicos dribbling about God being their running mate but it seems to have got worse.

• Banned

Ive never had a talk about spiritual matters with anybody. I would be appalled if somebody started one and would be looking for an exit straight away. It is seen as bad form over here. We used to laugh at US politicos dribbling about God being their running mate but it seems to have got worse.
I'll just add that actual Christian theology isn't on the level of the "pop religion" on television, most of the serious theology is deep and intellectual and played a role in the development of modern systems and institutions, such as Common Law theory, but beyond that I won't comment on it.

I'm not familiar with the Church of England or how it's regarded in Britain.

I have other theories, but I prefer not to share them at this time.

It only seems that way because you entered a discussion forum on religion.

Usually I just see "evangelical" used as a buzzword for any Christian or group someone dislikes, with no documentation of their history, theology, and so forth.

There are left-wing evangelicals as well. There is a movement within the Christian church that's called "Marxianity."

That is a mixture of Christianity, cultural Marxism, social justice, interfaith dialogue with Islam, radical feminism, same-sex marriage, liberation theology, illegal immigration, community activism, multi-multiculturalism, globalism, Hegel Dialectic, Allinsky’s Rules, and Huxley philosophies.

It's basically a left wing form of Christianity which is pushing Marxism, as opposed to orthodox biblical ideas.

Last edited:

I'll just add that actual Christian theology isn't on the level of the "pop religion" on television, most of the serious theology is deep and intellectual and played a role in the development of modern systems and institutions, such as Common Law theory, but beyond that I won't comment on it.

It really isn't complicated and it shouldn't be. Any attempt to complicate it should be given a swerve and those responsible should be shot.

It really isn't complicated and it shouldn't be. Any attempt to complicate it should be given a swerve and those responsible should be shot.

Good luck finding a gun in your neck of the woods. :21:

Lest we forgot ... the origins of religious extremism in America began in England.

matthew-hopkins.jpg

Lest we forgot ... the origins of religious extremism in America began in England.

whendidyoulastseeyourfather-658x285.jpg

With all the radical Islamic knifings they're having there, they can keep their religious extremism to themselves.

It's a damn shame someone hasn't developed some sort of software where you could type some keywords into a box and press enter then this software, call it a "search engine" would scour the Internet and find the answers you're looking for...

Gosh, that'd be real cool...

whendidyoulastseeyourfather-658x285.jpg

With all the radical Islamic knifings they're having there, they can keep their religious extremism to themselves.

Long before Americans fought a civil war, which began over a struggle for power between Puritans in Parliament and the King. This led to the regicide of Charles I and England gaining it's first, and so far only, dictator in the form of the Puritan Oliver Cromwell.

The dictator deposed, the monarchy restored, and the remaining Puritans took flight to other countries to avoid persecution. Some of them ended up in Massachusetts.

Ive never had a talk about spiritual matters with anybody ... It is seen as bad form over here.

what do you talk about in the religious forum from over there - the queens birthday.

Ive never had a talk about spiritual matters with anybody ... It is seen as bad form over here.

what do you talk about in the religious forum from over there - the queens birthday.
We dont have religious forums. Its considered your personal business.It means we are not bothered by loons trying to impose their lunacy on us. Only 2 places in the UK are afflicted. Ulster and parts of Scotland.

matthew-hopkins.jpg
I disagree with that childish assertion. For one, I don't believe that extremism is solely "religious", and second, many of the anti-religion persuasion cite historical events such as the Crusades; therefore I don't understand how you argue that it began in Puritan England.

Like it or not, religion played a role in the development of institutions, such as our Common Law system of government.

Most blanket "anti-religion" arguments are silly and dishonest, and by the same vein of logic, one could easily make "anti-science" arguments which would be stronger, such as how science could be said to have lead to the origins of man made global warming, the development of nuclear weapons, and so forth (false as our "science / religion" dichotomies are to begin with).

As far as the Common Law system is concerned, the types of behaviors which manifest themselves in extremism and violence (religious, political, criminal, or otherwise) are an inborn part of mankind's nature and potential proclivity to those things.

So this is why I don't find silly historical myths and gross oversimplifications such as these worth anyone's time to address, honestly.

Last edited:

They're the most hypocritical of the god-botherer set.

We used to have a social rule here in the U.S. that one should not discuss religion, sex, or politics with anyone who one does not know well. However, in the last decade or two, the custom changed and now total idiots think that they should be able to just walk up to you, start babbling, and pry into all aspects of your personal life and beliefs, and the politicians babble constantly about "religion." It's scary, actually. There is no more propriety and respect for an individual's privacy.

Forum List

Back