Even if burglar threatens you with gun, you can't shoot back

There are reasons that a sane state like New York prohibits you from wildly firing at people running away.

1. They no longer pose a threat to you.
2. Recovering property is not a justification for killing a human being.
3. You may injure or kill people not at all involved in any crime.

Are you going to sit there and tell me that we were not told the whole story by the OP? I'm stunned. :eek:

Forced vacations (I was over my max hours at work) suck but they allow you to do some research into the topic. Dude was blasted away in a neighbor's yard. At the end of the day, I wish the prosecutors would have taken the 7 months between act and indictment and charged the guy with reckless endangerment or something like that. If he was a criminal trying to break into your house...he's a man that needed to be slaughtered IMHO. Manslaughter seems to be too much of a charge for the act.

How long did he pursue the attempted robber?
I understand it was in a neighbor's yard...was it an adjacent neighbor's yard?
If it was so cut and dried, why didn't police charge him the night of the shooting?
Sure reeks of political motivation on the part of the DA since they seem to have brought up the seemingly immaterial criminal record of the accused....why is it valid?

I guess we need to watch and wait.

How do you know he wasn't shot in the victim's yard and kept running until he reached the neighbor's yard.

I've seen it.

All you see is Television. Men don't always go down when they're hit by a bullet.

In fact, they seldom go down right away.

If they're psyched-up, pumped-up, adrenaline-flowing.... They can run for a LONG ways before they collapse.

All bullets do is cause to bleed out. Unless the bullet hits the heart or the brain, it takes time to bleed out. Sometimes enough time that he can cover a hundred yards or more.

Let those of us who know what we're talking about hash this out. Which excludes dimocraps

You can make us all sandwiches if you would, please

The only thing you're an authority on is converting oxygen into carbon dioxide. I tend to think that climbing a fence with some bullets in you is probably an indicator of his being shot post-climb. Additionally, the cops taking 7 months to bring charges would seem to indicate they investigated the matter and made that determination. Now run along sonny. By the way, I like mine with Gulden's Dijon.

The video reportedly showed a flash coming from the perps' gun. Then the story says only a pellet gun was recovered.

5 assailants, one fired a gun. Seems to be an open and shut case. As long as you can reasonably say you felt threatened a shooting can be legal. The story doesn't say the assailants were leaving the scene. It just says the victim chased them off the porch. What's stopping them from posing a further threat later? They already had fired one shot into the home. Wanna risk them firing another?

Last edited:
You realize who you're talking to, right?

The normal 'Fight or Flight' reaction in a man would be triggered and we'd be pumping adrenaline like crazy and ready to rock 'n roll.

Your typical dimocrap would be hiding under the bed with his cat.

They don't get it

fyi....i am a liberal democrat

No.

You're not.

oooooo i know it hurts...i know...to realize that there are liberal gun owners....you will get over it....it is funny...when i am with liberal they totally freak out...."you have guns' you touch them? shit like that....some just refuse to accept it....now conservatives...when i go out with them..and someone says...watch it....bones is a liberal..they all take a couple of steps back...when we start shooting they all step right back up and we have a good time...

people need to get over their preconceived notions of who is what etc

The problem with this story, if you get the whole story, is that he chased the burglar down and shot him in the back OFF his property. THAT is why he was charged. The headline I got on the story was that he shot him in self defense. Then when they went into the details, you realize he was chased down the street and shot.

The story never said this. The story never mentioned him chasing him down the street. Unless you have a link to another side of the story.

Another liberal lie.

You are awfully quick with the "liberal lie" charge.

The brothers chased the alleged burglars from the porch, and Youssef fired, striking a 33-year-old man from Roosevelt in the back. That man, Jazzmen Bryant, later died of his wounds.

Now, almost seven months later, Youssef Abdel-Gawad has been indicted on manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide charges.

“This is not why our founding fathers developed the system,” Ramy Abdel-Gawad said. “This is absolutely absurd to see a district attorney defending criminals.”

The District Attorney’s office said the man who died was shot in a neighbor’s backyard as he ran away. A pellet gun was recovered from the group of alleged burglars.
LI Man Facing Manslaughter Charge For Shooting, Killing Alleged Armed Burglar « CBS New York

Police conducted a seven month investigation into this..

Or the DA conducted an investigation. Sounds like Trayvon Martin all over again. Let's re-investigate an open and shut case and scream racism, or gun violence for political purposes.

Last edited:

The video reportedly showed a flash coming from the perps' gun. Then the story says only a pellet gun was recovered.

5 assailants, one fired a gun. Seems to be an open and shut case. As long as you can reasonably say you felt threatened a shooting can be legal. The story doesn't say the assailants were leaving the scene. It just says the victim chased them off the porch. What's stopping them from posing a further threat later? They already had fired one shot into the home. Wanna risk them firing another?

HUNTINGTON STATION, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — The Long Island man charged with killing an intruder in his home was released on bail Thursday.

Youssef Abdel-Gawad was released on $25,000 bail. He must wear an ankle monitoring bracelet.

Abdel-Gawad was charged with manslaughter in the incident on Aug. 21 of last year at his family’s Huntington Station home. He said he was only trying to protect his family.

“For me the nightmare would have been if they would have gotten into the house to my brothers and my mom at the time,” Abdel-Gawad told 1010 WINS.

Abdel-Gawad, his parents and two brothers hope surveillance video will clear his name, CBS 2’s Jennifer McLogan reported last week.

He said his brothers feared for their lives, and he shot in self-defense.

Prosecutors said there’s no proof the burglars fired their gun at all since no bullets were recovered, 1010 WINS’ Eileen Lehpamer reported. Abdel-Gawad’s family hopes the surveillance video will prove the prosecutors wrong.

“We presented them with the videos that show the gentlemen clearly inside the house shooting the gun, with the light and muzzle going off inches from my brother’s face,” Abdel-Gawad said. “He was within inches of killing my brother.”

Police said as four accomplices waited in a backyard shed, another crept onto the porch holding a gun. The family said as the would-be robber tried to gain entrance, he suddenly fired the weapon toward the sliding glass door and a flash went off.

The Abdel-Gawad family said they were cowering inside. The three sons banded together – two picked up wooden sticks, and the third, Youssef, grabbed a shotgun.

The brothers chased the alleged burglars from the porch, and Youssef fired, striking a 33-year-old man from Roosevelt in the back. That man, Jazzmen Bryant, later died of his wounds.

The District Attorney’s office said the man who died was shot in a neighbor’s backyard as he ran away. A pellet gun was recovered from the group of alleged burglars.

“The DA’s office indicated they didn’t think it was necessarily clear that a shot was fired, but you can actually see a flash and see the gun pull back after he pulls the trigger,” defense attorney Anthony Rutkowski said last week. “So we’re pretty confident that when we have a chance to present our side to the story, that he will be acquitted.”

Abdel-Gawad is enrolled at Suffolk Community College as a criminal justice major, and he recently passed the NYPD exam, according to his family.

The District Attorney’s office said Abdel-Gawad has been arrested in the past on marijuana charges, driver’s license suspensions, and fleeing the directive of a police officer.

L.I. Man Released On Bail After Shooting, Killing Alleged Intruder « CBS New York

Apparently the fact that he was in the neighbor's backyard makes a difference to the DA. I still think they should have possibly charged the guy with reckless endangerment or something much less stigmatizing/serious than manslaughter. The guy deserved to get slaughtered IMHO

The story never said this. The story never mentioned him chasing him down the street. Unless you have a link to another side of the story.

Another liberal lie.

You are awfully quick with the "liberal lie" charge.

Now, almost seven months later, Youssef Abdel-Gawad has been indicted on manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide charges.

“This is not why our founding fathers developed the system,” Ramy Abdel-Gawad said. “This is absolutely absurd to see a district attorney defending criminals.”

LI Man Facing Manslaughter Charge For Shooting, Killing Alleged Armed Burglar « CBS New York

Police conducted a seven month investigation into this..

Or the DA conducted an investigation. Sounds like Trayvon Martin all over again. Let's re-investigate an open and shit case and scream racism, or gun violence for political purposes.

Oh boy, the race card is out and played by the conservatives. You'll find a way to turn this into "they're picking on me", won't you?

fyi....i am a liberal democrat

No.

You're not.

oooooo i know it hurts...i know...to realize that there are liberal gun owners....you will get over it....it is funny...when i am with liberal they totally freak out...."you have guns' you touch them? shit like that....some just refuse to accept it....now conservatives...when i go out with them..and someone says...watch it....bones is a liberal..they all take a couple of steps back...when we start shooting they all step right back up and we have a good time...

Truthmatters called me a conservative stalwart once because I'm in favor of people having to show ID at the polls. #smh

No.

You're not.

Truthmatters called me a conservative stalwart once because I'm in favor of people having to show ID at the polls. #smh

amazing isnt it....people have no problem showing ids for other things...cashing a check, getting booze the list just goes on...but showing it to vote is a fucking hassle...really...in some countries people die trying to vote...somehow i just dont see that showing my id is a big deal....

o
Then he lives in the wrong State.

In Florida, if the burglar/robber has your personal property you are allowed to chase him and use whatever force is necessary to retrieve your property.

If I were chasing him and shot him, I PROMISE you, they would find my personal property on him.

See, people.... Even living in a dimocrap State is bad for you.

You need to think about that.

There are reasons that a sane state like New York prohibits you from wildly firing at people running away.

Are you going to sit there and tell me that we were not told the whole story by the OP? I'm stunned. :eek:

Forced vacations (I was over my max hours at work) suck but they allow you to do some research into the topic. Dude was blasted away in a neighbor's yard. At the end of the day, I wish the prosecutors would have taken the 7 months between act and indictment and charged the guy with reckless endangerment or something like that. If he was a criminal trying to break into your house...he's a man that needed to be slaughtered IMHO. Manslaughter seems to be too much of a charge for the act.

If it was so cut and dried, why didn't police charge him the night of the shooting?
Sure reeks of political motivation on the part of the DA since they seem to have brought up the seemingly immaterial criminal record of the accused....why is it valid?

You're just prejudiced because of the gun. The facts of the case seem to be subjective in your mind. Harmless burglar fires into a home. No problem. Scared the crap out of the owners. No problem. Owner responds with deadly force with an assault shotgun and now we have a problem.

o

You're just prejudiced because of the gun. The facts of the case seem to be subjective in your mind. Harmless burglar fires into a home. No problem. Scared the crap out of the owners. No problem. Owner responds with deadly force with an assault shotgun and now we have a problem.

What part of "If he was a criminal trying to break into your house...he's a man that needed to be slaughtered IMHO" did you not understand?

amazing isnt it....people have no problem showing ids for other things...cashing a check, getting booze the list just goes on...but showing it to vote is a fucking hassle...really...in some countries people die trying to vote...somehow i just dont see that showing my id is a big deal....

I think it's just laziness myself. If you believe A, C, and E, you're a liberal. If you believe B, D, and F, you're a conservative. Most people believe a mix of A-C and D-F and varying degrees of each. It's just easier to use a broad stroke than it is to try to learn about someone.

How do you know he wasn't shot in the victim's yard and kept running until he reached the neighbor's yard.

I've seen it.

All you see is Television. Men don't always go down when they're hit by a bullet.

In fact, they seldom go down right away.

If they're psyched-up, pumped-up, adrenaline-flowing.... They can run for a LONG ways before they collapse.

All bullets do is cause to bleed out. Unless the bullet hits the heart or the brain, it takes time to bleed out. Sometimes enough time that he can cover a hundred yards or more.

Let those of us who know what we're talking about hash this out. Which excludes dimocraps

You can make us all sandwiches if you would, please

The only thing you're an authority on is converting oxygen into carbon dioxide. I tend to think that climbing a fence with some bullets in you is probably an indicator of his being shot post-climb. Additionally, the cops taking 7 months to bring charges would seem to indicate they investigated the matter and made that determination. Now run along sonny. By the way, I like mine with Gulden's Dijon.

stupid twat.

What's happened in New Yawk in the intervening 7 Months?

Anything? You know, like elections?

You're not nearly as smart as you think you are.

Democrats Sweep Town Board Election | Long Islander News

In fact, you're quite typically dimocrap-dumb

I think it's just laziness myself. If you believe A, C, and E, you're a liberal. If you believe B, D, and F, you're a conservative. Most people believe a mix of A-C and D-F and varying degrees of each. It's just easier to use a broad stroke than it is to try to learn about someone.

Let me run this by you once more......

I think the arrested individual probably DID break the law in New Yawk.

I also think you're an idiot if you live in a liberal State.

And I don't have a lot of sympathy for idiots.

Down here? Just another dead dimocrap. Hardly even make the news.

And OBTW, we're going to pass New Yawk in population literally any day now.

and there we have a conservative man with family values and all those high morals going to a sexual attack immediately....

Not a sexual attack. Merely an observation.

And I don't place a big value on Family Values or High Morals.

I just hate, despise and detest dimocraps because you are truly the scummiest scumbag motherfuckers to have ever disgraced the surface of the Earth with your presence.

I don't even like Republicans and I'm not especially Conservative.

I just really, really, really, absolutely hate dimocraps.

We clear on that point?

Good.

Forum List

Back