Even if burglar threatens you with gun, you can't shoot back

The problem with this story, if you get the whole story, is that he chased the burglar down and shot him in the back OFF his property. THAT is why he was charged. The headline I got on the story was that he shot him in self defense. Then when they went into the details, you realize he was chased down the street and shot.

That's what I heard on 1010WINS.

In New York State, that's a crime.

Then he lives in the wrong State.

In Florida, if the burglar/robber has your personal property you are allowed to chase him and use whatever force is necessary to retrieve your property.

If I were chasing him and shot him, I PROMISE you, they would find my personal property on him.

See, people.... Even living in a dimocrap State is bad for you.

You need to think about that.

There are reasons that a sane state like New York prohibits you from wildly firing at people running away.

1. They no longer pose a threat to you.
2. Recovering property is not a justification for killing a human being.
3. You may injure or kill people not at all involved in any crime.

The story never said this. The story never mentioned him chasing him down the street. Unless you have a link to another side of the story.

Another liberal lie.

You are awfully quick with the "liberal lie" charge.

The brothers chased the alleged burglars from the porch, and Youssef fired, striking a 33-year-old man from Roosevelt in the back. That man, Jazzmen Bryant, later died of his wounds.

Now, almost seven months later, Youssef Abdel-Gawad has been indicted on manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide charges.

“This is not why our founding fathers developed the system,” Ramy Abdel-Gawad said. “This is absolutely absurd to see a district attorney defending criminals.”

The District Attorney’s office said the man who died was shot in a neighbor’s backyard as he ran away. A pellet gun was recovered from the group of alleged burglars.
LI Man Facing Manslaughter Charge For Shooting, Killing Alleged Armed Burglar « CBS New York

Police conducted a seven month investigation into this..

I've seen men get shot and continue to run for quite a distance.

Especially with a pussy-assed .38 and a hyped-up, frightened, adrenaline-filled young man.

Who's to say the good guy didn't shoot the dimocrap thief on his own property and the thief ran into the neighbor's yard?

I hope the defense Attorney has a brain. :dunno:

Like I said, in Florida the worst the good guy would get is a $20 fine for littering.

Hence why he is being charged and there will a trial where the evidence is laid out and then his peers will decide if he broke the law and is guilty of the charges, or if his story of self defense holds up in court.

Innocent until proven guilty.

My rebuttal is in the way these news stories in the OP leads to false assumptions and uses the lie of omission to stir people up about something not worth more than a casual conversation soundbite at best.

Especially with a pussy-assed .38 and a hyped-up, frightened, adrenaline-filled young man.

Who's to say the good guy didn't shoot the dimocrap thief on his own property and the thief ran into the neighbor's yard?

Like I said, in Florida the worst the good guy would get is a $20 fine for littering.

Hence why he is being charged and there will a trial where the evidence is laid out and then his peers will decide if he broke the law and is guilty of the charges, or if his story of self defense holds up in court.

My rebuttal is in the way these news stories in the OP leads to false assumptions and uses the lie of omission to stir people up about something not worth more than a casual conversation soundbite at best.

with a seven month investigation my guess would be that they have some good evidence to lock this guy up. There is no good reason IMHO to shot someone in the back as they run away.

with a seven month investigation my guess would be that they have some good evidence to lock this guy up. There is no good reason IMHO to shot someone in the back as they run away.

Except iraqi soldiers, of course. :D

I believe he DID break New York Law.

But he would not have broken Florida Law.

We just had a case down here where a street urchin broke into a man's garage and the owner caught the bad guy running down the street carrying a generator.

Yeah, I know... Bizarre.

But the homeowner shot the future dimocrap voter and killed his ass deader than Toby's dick.

The papers got excited about it. So did the local NAACP (surprise!) but the prosecutors told them all to go the Hell.

No way to get a conviction.

Plus, it's just one less dimocrap. Who cares anyway?

He deserved it.

Unfortunately, the man who shot him will have to pay the price for living in the wrong State

Cool. But this isn't about florida law. Which, I'm sure has its own trials and tribulations.

That's what I heard on 1010WINS.

In New York State, that's a crime.

In Florida, if the burglar/robber has your personal property you are allowed to chase him and use whatever force is necessary to retrieve your property.

If I were chasing him and shot him, I PROMISE you, they would find my personal property on him.

There are reasons that a sane state like New York prohibits you from wildly firing at people running away.

Are you going to sit there and tell me that we were not told the whole story by the OP? I'm stunned. :eek:

Forced vacations (I was over my max hours at work) suck but they allow you to do some research into the topic. Dude was blasted away in a neighbor's yard. At the end of the day, I wish the prosecutors would have taken the 7 months between act and indictment and charged the guy with reckless endangerment or something like that. If he was a criminal trying to break into your house...he's a man that needed to be slaughtered IMHO. Manslaughter seems to be too much of a charge for the act.

How long did he pursue the attempted robber?
I understand it was in a neighbor's yard...was it an adjacent neighbor's yard?
If it was so cut and dried, why didn't police charge him the night of the shooting?
Sure reeks of political motivation on the part of the DA since they seem to have brought up the seemingly immaterial criminal record of the accused....why is it valid?

I guess we need to watch and wait.

shooting someone in the BACK is NOT self defense

one needs to consider the state of mind one would be in...after being shot at....your natural reaction is to return fire....return fire till the threat is down....

You realize who you're talking to, right?

The normal 'Fight or Flight' reaction in a man would be triggered and we'd be pumping adrenaline like crazy and ready to rock 'n roll.

Your typical dimocrap would be hiding under the bed with his cat.

They don't get it

one needs to consider the state of mind one would be in...after being shot at....your natural reaction is to return fire....return fire till the threat is down....

The normal 'Fight or Flight' reaction in a man would be triggered and we'd be pumping adrenaline like crazy and ready to rock 'n roll.

They don't get it

fyi....i am a liberal democrat

Surveillance video shows burglar has a gun, but the home owner still faces charges for firing back because one of the home invaders died.

Surveillance Video Shows Burglar Firing Into Home But Police Still Charge Resident For Shooting Back!

Depends on your state. Here in Missouri we have the Castle Amendment which allows shooting first to protect life, home, and property like your car. Don't have to give a warning or anything, someone breaks into your car, you can blow em away.

That is the law in the state I live but I believe it includes all property you own, not just your residence or car. I remember a story about a builder who called the police to report one of his vacant homes under construction was being robbed. A van full of guys were in the process of stealing material from inside the house and taking it away. The police said they were on their way and the driver saw him and tried to leave and he shot him dead right there. It was a headline story. The victim was a Mexican immigrant and the story was the builders subdivision had been robbed prior to that which was why the builder was there.

They were trying to charge the builder with murder because the men in the van including the driver were unarmed. It was a jury trial if I remember correctly. The reason I remember the case is because the builder had hired my lawyer! I knew when he hired him he wasn't going to lose because my lawyer is very good. Still I thought it would be a very difficult case for him to take. The jury gave a verdict of not guilty and the builder was sent home.

but yes as you say...you would be ready to rock and roll and eliminate the threat....i cannot honestly say how i would react to this....there are a lot of if's for gun owners here.....if my family is at home....did you just shot into my house with my kid in there....o hell....no...i just dont know how i would react...no one really does ..till you hear that ping....

Are you going to sit there and tell me that we were not told the whole story by the OP? I'm stunned. :eek:

Forced vacations (I was over my max hours at work) suck but they allow you to do some research into the topic. Dude was blasted away in a neighbor's yard. At the end of the day, I wish the prosecutors would have taken the 7 months between act and indictment and charged the guy with reckless endangerment or something like that. If he was a criminal trying to break into your house...he's a man that needed to be slaughtered IMHO. Manslaughter seems to be too much of a charge for the act.

How long did he pursue the attempted robber?
I understand it was in a neighbor's yard...was it an adjacent neighbor's yard?
If it was so cut and dried, why didn't police charge him the night of the shooting?
Sure reeks of political motivation on the part of the DA since they seem to have brought up the seemingly immaterial criminal record of the accused....why is it valid?

I guess we need to watch and wait.

How do you know he wasn't shot in the victim's yard and kept running until he reached the neighbor's yard.

I've seen it.

All you see is Television. Men don't always go down when they're hit by a bullet.

In fact, they seldom go down right away.

If they're psyched-up, pumped-up, adrenaline-flowing.... They can run for a LONG ways before they collapse.

All bullets do is cause to bleed out. Unless the bullet hits the heart or the brain, it takes time to bleed out. Sometimes enough time that he can cover a hundred yards or more.

Let those of us who know what we're talking about hash this out. Which excludes dimocraps

You can make us all sandwiches if you would, please

They don't get it

fyi....i am a liberal democrat

No.

You're not.

That's true. People in a state of panic could keep firing and not even think about the guy running. It depends on their state of mind.

Forum List

Back