EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Dashcam video shows unarmed man being shot by PBSO deputy

EXCLUSIVE VIDEO Dashcam video shows unarmed man being shot by PBSO deputy - wptv.com

PALM BEACH COUNTY, Fla. - Exclusively-obtained dash-cam video shows Dontrell Stephens, 20, talking on a cellphone while riding his bike on a Friday morning in September 2013. He can be seen turning onto Norma Elaine Road near Haverhill Road and Okeechobee Boulevard as PBSO deputy Adams Lin trails him.

Moments later, Stephens realizes he’s being followed. He pulls over, gets off his bike with a cellphone in his right hand and walks toward the deputy.

For approximately four seconds Stephens is out of frame only to be seen again when being shot four times.

Stephens, who is black and has a criminal record for possessing cocaine, is seen running from the bullets then dropping to the ground.

Stephens was armed with nothing but a cellphone.

The video, exclusively obtained by WPTV NewsChannel 5 and The Palm Beach Post as part of a joint investigation into police shootings, was released as part of a federal wrongful death lawsuit filed against PBSO.

A short time later, an admittedly shaken Deputy Lin is heard talking to another deputy.

"He starts backing away," Lin explains. "I said, ‘Get on the ground, get on the ground.”

Then, the other deputy is heard saying, "I got your back man. I got your back. Hey, you hear me?”

Deputy Lin responds, “Yeah, I know.”

That day, Sheriff Ric Bradshaw went on TV to defend the shooting.

"Stop what you're doing and comply with us,” he told reporters. "There's nothing in the rules of engagement that says we have to put our lives in jeopardy to wait to find out what this is to get killed."

Lin was cleared to return to work four days later. Months later, investigators from the State Attorney's Office and PBSO ruled the shooting justified.

dontrell-stephens.jpg
Dontrell Stephens after he was shot in 2013.

West Palm Beach attorney Jack Scarola is suing the sheriff and the deputy on Stephens’ behalf. Scarola says he discovered issues with the deputy’s statements after requesting and viewing all the video and audio recordings from the incident.

"There are no records of any commands ever made to Dontrell Stephens," explained Scarola.

"The deputy's recorded statements following the shooting were absolutely false. Internal affairs completely ignored that evidence,” he said.

Today, Stephens is paralyzed from the waist down.

While Sheriff Bradshaw was on the record the day of Stephens’ shooting, he’s not talking about the case now. The Sheriff’s policy is to not comment on pending litigation.

Stephens' shooting reveals a pattern of problems with how deputy-involved shootings are investigated.

He gave the guy a whole 4 seconds to comply with orders never given and shot him 4 times in the back for running away.

And the day of the shooting they created the narrative that, you guessed it, the officer was scared (sound familiar)....but now that the video has been released they dont have anything to say....

Give it a few months...they'll either have a new story or they'll pay this family a couple mill that the Florida residents should be happy about their tax money being used to cover cops shooting unarmed people in the back.

Dashcams dont lie

The shooting of the criminal feral creature was justified.

Who could have predicted the USMB resident racist would justify the cop? Again.

Wheres the other thread on it?

Look it up yourself. I saw this story last night on usmb. Its 2 years old. The locals will handle it.

Well of course the locals will handle it....Once you hit play the video will stop also.

But its obvious you dont have anything but trolling to add because this is indefensible

So have at it...I want everyone to see how you handle facts when they are presented to you

What facts?

there you go! You never disappoint!
So eager to see a cop go to jail huh????? Thanks for proving you assholes still see the police as pigs.
I'm eager to see this cop go to jail.

Look it up yourself. I saw this story last night on usmb. Its 2 years old. The locals will handle it.

Well of course the locals will handle it....Once you hit play the video will stop also.

But its obvious you dont have anything but trolling to add because this is indefensible

So have at it...I want everyone to see how you handle facts when they are presented to you

What facts?

So eager to see a cop go to jail huh????? Thanks for proving you assholes still see the police as pigs.

Maybe. I still wanna know what happened off camera.

If you don't break the law, especially dealing and possession of cocaine then you don't get shot from resiting arrest.
You all don't have any idea how long the police has been dealing with him of arresting him and him continually getting out of jail.
Cops get really tired of having to arrest and rearrest these people all the time.
Yes, I can see how they might pursue a more permanent solution.

What facts?

It isn't hard to figure out what happened. The commitment to shoot is followed through, even if the circumstances change after that commitment has been made. This is not addressed sufficiently in police training. The guy was belligerent, confronting the officer in a combative way, and was holding an unidentifiable object in his hand. The officer then draws his weapon, and the decision to defend his life was already made. The guy saw the gun and turn and ran, but the cop followed through on his commitment to shoot. This is a reflex that's very difficult to control. But where the cop is getting himself in hot water for is lying about what he said to the suspect. It doesn't quite reach the level of retrieving a spent taser and placing it next to the body of the guy you just shot, but it's close.

If you don't break the law, especially dealing and possession of cocaine then you don't get shot from resiting arrest.
You all don't have any idea how long the police has been dealing with him of arresting him and him continually getting out of jail.
Cops get really tired of having to arrest and rearrest these people all the time.
Yes, I can see how they might pursue a more permanent solution.

I was referring to more of a change in the legal system where they don't have the revolving door.
Maybe send them to a rehab and keep them there for 3 or more years and have educational classes in those rehab facilities so that they would be able to get a job after they were released.

What facts?

It isn't hard to figure out what happened. The commitment to shoot is followed through, even if the circumstances change after that commitment has been made. This is not addressed sufficiently in police training. The guy was belligerent, confronting the officer in a combative way, and was holding an unidentifiable object in his hand. The officer then draws his weapon, and the decision to defend his life was already made. The guy saw the gun and turn and ran, but the cop followed through on his commitment to shoot. This is a reflex that's very difficult to control. But where the cop is getting himself in hot water for is lying about what he said to the suspect. It doesn't quite reach the level of retrieving a spent taser and placing it next to the body of the guy you just shot, but it's close.

Thats a very intelligent post. You have prior training with guns? Because you are exactly right. Once the human brain triggers a response under stress...its hard to stop it. Training tries to do it. But its very difficult unless you can do like the military and do nothing but train for months on end prior to conflicts. Cops...unfortunately. ..dont have the money or manpower to do that...and they never know what day their conflict moment is coming to prepare for.

Forum List

Back