Experts in 2000: Snowfalls Are a Thing of the Past!

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Where would we be without experts?

1613062835307.png
1613062930784.png

Every winter, the liars trot out the "experts said snowfalls are thing of the past!" big lie.

That's the sign of a dying cult. They can't even be bothered to fake new propaganda. They're just phoning it in.

Every winter, the liars trot out the "experts said snowfalls are thing of the past!" big lie.

That's the sign of a dying cult. They can't even be bothered to fake new propaganda. They're just phoning it in.

Ha ha ha, as usual you are hilariously wrong.

I can post this in full because the Independent deleted their article from their website as shown here: Page not found | The Independent

Here is the wayback machine preserving the article here: Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past - Environment - The Independent (junkscience.com)

Watts Up With That? saved the entire post as a PDF: Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past - Environment - The Independent (wattsupwiththat.com)

=======

Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past – Environment – The Independent

By Charles Onians – Monday 20 March 2000 –

Britain’s weather ends tomorrow with further indications of a striking environmental change: Snow is starting to disappear form our lives. Sledges, snowmen, snowballs and the excitement of waking to find that the stuff has settled outside are all a rapidly diminishing part of Britain’s culture, as warmer winters – which scientists are attributing to global climate change – produce not only fewer white Christmases, but fewer white Januaries and Februaries.

The first two months of 2000 were virtually free of significant snowfall in much of lowland Britain, and December brought only moderate snowfall in the South-east. It is the continuation of a trend that has been increasingly visible in the past 15 years: in the south of England, for instance, from 1970 to 1995 snow and sleet fell for an average of 3.7 days, while from 1988 to 1995 the average was 0.7 days. London’s last substantial snowfall was in February 1991.

Global warming, the heating of the atmosphere by increased amounts of industrial gases, is now accepted as a reality by the international community. Average temperatures in Britain were nearly 0.6°C higher in the Nineties than in 1960-90, and it is estimated that they will increase by 0.2C every decade over the coming century. Eight of the 10 hottest years on record occurred in the Nineties.

However, the warming is so far manifesting itself more in winters which are less cold than in much hotter summers. According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia ,within a few years winter snowfall will become “a very rare and exciting event”. “Children just aren’t going to know what snow is,” he said.

The effects of snow-free winter in Britain are already becoming apparent. This year, for the first time ever, Hamleys, Britain’s biggest toyshop, had no sledges on display in its Regent Street store. “It was a bit of a first,” a spokesperson said.

Fen skating, once a popular sport on the fields of East Anglia, now takes place on indoor artificial rinks. Malcolm Robinson, of the Fenland Indoor Speed Skating Club in Peterborough, says they have not skated outside since 1997. “As a boy, I can remember being on ice most winters. Now it’s few and far between,” he said.
Michael Jeacock, a Cambridgeshire local historian, added that a generation was growing up “without experiencing one of the greatest joys and privileges of living in this part of the world – open-air skating”.

Warmer winters have significant environmental and economic implications, and a wide range of research indicates that pests and plant diseases, usually killed back by sharp frosts, are likely to flourish. But very little research has been done on the cultural implications of climate change – into the possibility, for example, that our notion of Christmas might have to shift.
Professor Jarich Oosten, an anthropologist at the University of Leiden in the Netherlands, says that even if we no longer see snow, it will remain culturally important.
“We don’t really have wolves in Europe any more, but they are still an important part of our culture and everyone knows what they look like,” he said.

David Parker, at the Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research in Berkshire, says ultimately, British children could have only virtual experience of snow. Via the internet, they might wonder at polar scenes – or eventually “feel” virtual cold.

Heavy snow will return occasionally, says Dr Viner, but when it does we will be unprepared. “We’re really going to get caught out. Snow will probably cause chaos in 20 years time,” he said.

The chances are certainly now stacked against the sort of heavy snowfall in cities that inspired Impressionist painters, such as Sisley, and the 19th century poet laureate Robert Bridges, who wrote in “London Snow” of it, “stealthily and perpetually settling and loosely lying”.

Not any more, it seems.

Thank you for proving me right on both counts, that no such claim "Snowfalls are a thing of the past" claim was made by scientists, and that deniers are lying about it.

You showed that some random headline writer wrote that. That's all. You demonstrated that no scientist made said it. And then you lied about it.

I thank you for proving I was right on both counts, and I'll let you know when I need any more of my points proven.

Thank you for proving me right on both counts, that no such claim "Snowfalls are a thing of the past" claim was made by scientists, and that deniers are lying about it.

You showed that some random headline writer wrote that. That's all. You demonstrated that no scientist made said it. And then you lied about it.

I thank you for proving I was right on both counts, and I'll let you know when I need any more of my points proven.
Dr David Viner
David Viner — Vitae Website

Your reply is so stupid since DR. Viner and another scientist in the article you didn't read were QUOTED as saying them.

“a very rare and exciting event”. “Children just aren’t going to know what snow is,”

You didn't prove shit, I quoted them.

The newspaper deleted their own article because it was embarrassing when the rest of the decade, England had the SNOWIEST decade on record!

However, the warming is so far manifesting itself more in winters which are less cold than in much hotter summers. According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia ,within a few years winter snowfall will become “a very rare and exciting event”. “Children just aren’t going to know what snow is,” he said.
UK weather forecast: New snow charts show ‘big event’ NEXT WEEK after brutal Arctic blast | Weather | News | Express.co.uk

Every winter, like clockwork.

Every winter, like clockwork leftists ignoramus fail to remember the 2001 IPCC projection of less snow and more rain/freezing rain in the winter.

:rolleyes:

Many times the worst case scenarios, or even comments about those scenarios, are taken out of context by both sides of the argument.

:laugh:

I notice you ignored several examples already.

When will YOU admit the 2001 IPCC report projecting LESS snow and MORE rain/freezing rain was a failure?

A dying cult is one that makes over 50 insane climate predictions and have yet to have one come true.

He is the worst kind of idiot who tries hard to ignore Dr. Viner's quoted words.

Meanwhile he was talking about Britain area, not the entire world. That is why the newspaper deleted their article when the rest of the decade was very snowy.

I made them and Dr. Viner look bad.

A dying cult is one that makes over 50 insane climate predictions and have yet to have one come true.

The temperature predictions have been stellar, even the ones made 40 years ago. Anyone saying otherwise is lying. That 40+ year record of success is why climate scientists have such credibility. They earned it by being consistently right.

In contrast, your cult has gotten every single prediction wrong for the past 40 years. Your unblemished record of faliure is why you're correctly classified as pseudoscience cultists. if you want to stop being laughed at, you have to stop failing with your predictions. Just whining about how unfair the laughter is won't make it stop.

A good start there would be to stop screaming "ICE AGE TOMORROW", as Billy is doing now on the other thread, and which your cult has been doing nonstop for over 40 years. Given your endless failure there, you should have figured out the new ice age isn't arriving. But then, you're doomsday cultists, and your faith is pure. Each time your icy doomsday fails to arrive, you simply push the date of doomsday back a little more.

He is the worst kind of idiot who tries hard to ignore Dr. Viner's quoted words.

Meanwhile he was talking about Britain area, not the entire world. That is why the newspaper deleted their article when the rest of the decade was very snowy.
I find everyone on the Left is ignorant to reality.
I just don’t know which is the cause and which is the effect yet.

The temperature predictions have been stellar, even the ones made 40 years ago. Anyone saying otherwise is lying. That 40+ year record of success is why climate scientists have such credibility. They earned it by being consistently right.

In contrast, your cult has gotten every single prediction wrong for the past 40 years. Your unblemished record of faliure is why you're correctly classified as pseudoscience cultists. if you want to stop being laughed at, you have to stop failing with your predictions. Just whining about how unfair the laughter is won't make it stop.

A good start there would be to stop screaming "ICE AGE TOMORROW", as Billy is doing now on the other thread, and which your cult has been doing nonstop for over 40 years. Given your endless failure there, you should have figured out the new ice age isn't arriving. But then, you're doomsday cultists, and your faith is pure. Each time your icy doomsday fails to arrive, you simply push the date of doomsday back a little more.
Oh? Is that why the oceans have not risen and temperatures remain the same?

Forum List

Back