🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Fact-checkers are taking aim at American Sniper

It's a movie, not a history. Glory was not fact checked, but errors certainly existed in the narrative.

Take all the criticism with a pound of salt, folks.
Glory wasn't fact checked? i'll bet dollars to donuts i can find several websites that will document the historical errors in it

i haven't seen the movie, but everything i've heard about it seems to point to it being a somewhat disturbing film that should make everyone question the price of war for the individuals involved

that said, i do have a problem with chris kyle, and that the movie, again from reports, seems to gloss over his very large and very real character flaws.

i also have a problem with the right-wing deification of the man.

You are completely full of shit. It's transparently obvious that you just automatically dislike anything a conservative likes.

You are a partisan hack moron.
Well, that's a mirror image calling its original a partisan hack.

Y'know, I'm against Bush's wars, but the hysteria against this movie is getting a little much.

Fact-checking a movie is histeria?

Uh - yeah. Over the top hysteria. It's Hollywood and this is NOT billed a documentary.

I'm with MAC - very much opposed to the war in Iraq, but chillax on American Sniper. It doesn't glorify war imho - it shows a pretty realistic picture of why you don't want to go there.

99% of the idiots who complain about this movie have obviously never seen it.

I have not gone to see a movie in the theatre for years but I went to see this one and I must tell you it was the best war movie I have ever seen. Kyle made me feel tremendous gratitude for what our military guys have to put up with over there. The enemy in Iraq uses their children, their wives to do warfare against our guys because they know that American men and women have a high regard for human life - for women and children - whereas they do not have a regard for any human life. You know when Khomeini was preparing for battle he had the small children walk onto the fields first which were covered with landmines so that the children would die rather than his soldiers. This is how he cleared that field for his soldiers to use. He told the children they were martyr's for Allah - no they were sacrifices to Satan and the men who used those fields afterwards were cowards who should have died of shame. With no conscience in them that was not possible however.

Kyle is a hero. Anyone who doubts it can see the movie for themselves. It is a disgraceful thing that America has actually come to the new low of siding with the enemy in order to appease them because they too have become too cowardly to stand up and speak for what is right. What a day we are living in. It's enough to make you sick. Seriously.

Kyle was a legend and a true American hero.

The left can't afford any positive influence in this country anymore.

Actually it was the first positive movie I've seen in years and Clint Eastwood did a magnificent job. I was very impressed. It revived something in the hearts of Americans who viewed it and made them realize that we have been demoralized for no good reason. Our guys stand head and shoulders about ANY JIHADIST ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

Our military has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of! They fought a noble war against a godless enemy who used every dirty trick in the book in an attempt to murder anyone they could. Including their own women and children. There is nothing noble about Islam. Absolutely nothing.

The left can't afford any positive influence in this country anymore.
that's the thing, kyle was not and should not be regarded as a 'positive influence'
he was a skilled sniper, but that skill set alone shouldn't make him anyone's hero

Kyle was most certainly a positive influence for his fellow soldiers he kept alive by his skills. I do agree that he was not a hero. Hero is a sobriquet that is bandied about far too
frequently. A hero knowingly places himself into a situation that he knows has a good chance of killing him. Usually to save someone else's life, though not always. That is what a hero does. Anything else is just their job, which they can do well or poor, but it's just their job.
What the fuck is a navy seal...a baby sitter? Get real, dude.

No, a Navy SEAL is a incredibly well trained commando. Their job is to infiltrate by land, sea or air, engage and destroy the enemy. That's it. If a SEAL enters into a building full of bad guys to extract a comrade, and he knows he has little chance of surviving it, that is heroic. Merely shooting people is not.

One of my best friends is a Navy SEAL commando and the training he had to go through was incredibly tough. I've heard many stories of what he went through and some of the assignments he was on would have put others running the other way. He is a hero to me. He was also a trained sniper. The fifth top sniper in the world and I am very proud of him. He is humble and there is no trace of arrogance in him. The emotional toll these guys take is higher than Americans realize. I have the highest respect for our Navy SEALs.

I am very suspicious of how Kyle died. I saw a photo of the young man who shot him and suspect there is more to this story than we've been told. That was either the 3rd or 4th time that our military guys were gunned down on that range. With the enemy living amongst us and Kyle such a high profile guy - it is possible they were looking for the opportunity to gun him down. He was shot in the back. So was his military buddy who went with him that day. Both shot in the back and the Sheriff wasn't called until 6 p.m. so they were shot and laying there for 3 hours before anyone was called. I would advise anyone doing target practice to not go to a range but find some place else to practice. We are no longer safe in our own country. Kyle and his buddy are dead because they made the mistake of trusting someone they should not have trusted.

58 Navy Seals have been killed since 9/11.

It's a movie, not a history. Glory was not fact checked, but errors certainly existed in the narrative.

Glory wasn't fact checked? i'll bet dollars to donuts i can find several websites that will document the historical errors in it

i haven't seen the movie, but everything i've heard about it seems to point to it being a somewhat disturbing film that should make everyone question the price of war for the individuals involved

that said, i do have a problem with chris kyle, and that the movie, again from reports, seems to gloss over his very large and very real character flaws.

You are completely full of shit. It's transparently obvious that you just automatically dislike anything a conservative likes.

please do not compare me to that pile of partisan parrot.

Right-wingers kept stating that the movie was awesome. Nobody is saying it wasn't awesome, only that it's awesomeness is based on many things that didn't happen.

Right-wingers kept stating that the movie was awesome. Nobody is saying it wasn't awesome, only that it's awesomeness is based on many things that didn't happen.

Like most Hollywood films. Just let it go dude.

It's a film, it's about a narrative that producers hope are going to make them very wealthy.

They would produce a film about a jihadist if the end result was lots of money.

Well good for you you have an opinion ,just likie also having an ass hole,you should be proud.

Don't think many really care what you think.

Well good for you you have an opinion ,just likie also having an ass hole,you should be proud.

Don't think many really care what you think.

You care so little that you replied. :2up:

Like most Hollywood films. Just let it go dude.

You mean "let it go fact-checkers"?

No, let go of your butthurt. I have no idea why you care so much about a film. Hollywood is replete with movies "content based on actual events" that bear not the slightest resemblance to what actually occurred. Get over it. It's a hit. People like it. Who cares!

No, let go of your butthurt. I have no idea why you care so much about a film. Hollywood is replete with movies "content based on actual events" that bear not the slightest resemblance to what actually occurred. Get over it. It's a hit. People like it. Who cares!

Well, obviously, a lot of you on the Right do.

So let's be straight. The problem is that we are not in the process of assessing the Iraq War.

This movie tries to distract from the foolishness of the Iraq war by celebrating the bravery of those who fought in it. And if we have to whitewash Kyle's racism and lying and psychosis, so be it.

It's kind of like all the Vietnam movies that came out in the 1980's that didn't even really portray the Vietnamese as people. Instead they focused on what a bad deal the guys who fought it got (which they did).

Maybe if we focused on "What a bad idea that was", we wouldn't have done it again in Iraq.

Meh, who cares what a liar like you thinks?

Well, obviously, a lot of you on the Right do.

So let's be straight. The problem is that we are not in the process of assessing the Iraq War.

This movie tries to distract from the foolishness of the Iraq war by celebrating the bravery of those who fought in it. And if we have to whitewash Kyle's racism and lying and psychosis, so be it.

It's kind of like all the Vietnam movies that came out in the 1980's that didn't even really portray the Vietnamese as people. Instead they focused on what a bad deal the guys who fought it got (which they did).

Maybe if we focused on "What a bad idea that was", we wouldn't have done it again in Iraq.

OK, imho you have some pretty good points there, but I still think you're just glossing over the biggest point - it's HOLLYWOOD.
Should all movies be socially and politically and personally responsible and 100% historically accurate? That would be kinda boring.... I was disappointed with the ending of "Unbroken." But that happens. It's HOLLYWOOD.

IMHO - A.S. was really well done and well acted, and I don't think it glorified the Iraq War at all. In the overall examination of our involvement in Iraq, I think there is a place for a movie or two that do glorify the sacrifices made. There's a big difference between doing that and getting folks all ginned up to do it again.

Jesse Ventura chimed into the debate:
"Ventura, a former Navy SEAL, won $1.8 million in a defamation lawsuit last year against the estate of the late Chris Kyle, the SEAL protagonist of the movie, which has sparked debate over whether snipers should be considered heroes. Ventura said Wednesday he won’t see the film partly because Kyle is no hero to him."
Associated Press, January 28, 2015

It's nice and quiet around here. All lefty spinmeisters are watching Fox News Channel getting some real news they will spin tomorrow.

OK, imho you have some pretty good points there, but I still think you're just glossing over the biggest point - it's HOLLYWOOD.
Should all movies be socially and politically and personally responsible and 100% historically accurate? That would be kinda boring.... I was disappointed with the ending of "Unbroken." But that happens. It's HOLLYWOOD.

IMHO - A.S. was really well done and well acted, and I don't think it glorified the Iraq War at all. In the overall examination of our involvement in Iraq, I think there is a place for a movie or two that do glorify the sacrifices made. There's a big difference between doing that and getting folks all ginned up to do it again.

I think there's a difference between glossing things over and telling outright lies.

Yes, you have a movie like "Amadeus" which totally slanders Salieri (who was actually a pretty good composer and was Mozart's friend.) But it's a good story, well told.

I think the difference here is that we haven't come to terms with the fact we fucked up in Iraq, and we don't need to be glorifying it by glossing over the real person who was the subject of the movie. Kyle was a racist. And a sociopath. and a Liar. But, man, they made him look good, didn't they?

Forum List

Back