Factory installed Android calculator app on Smartphones

Captain Caveman

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2020
England
I have two smartphones, one with Android 9 and one with Android 6. The second phone is not my main phone, purely for calls for one of my businesses.

Long story short, I needed to check measurements on a 15 degree roof. Because the Android 6 phone was handy, I tried the inbuilt installed calculator app and was getting puzzled. So I got my main phone out and it was giving different results. So I tried TAN(45) and the result should be 1. My main phones does that, and the Android 6 reports 1.61977519. With 15 degrees, Android 9 states 0.267949 which is correct, and Android 6 states -0.8559934.

The Android 6 phone is an Honor 7, mint condition but it states, "Android security patch level 1 April 2017". When I check for updates, none available. Probably because the US fell out with Honor, and then some other countries followed suit.

I didn't think a calculator would suffer because of no phone updates. Any ideas?

Just means I just now avoid the calculator on that phone.

Screenshot_2024-05-30-20-48-37.png

No RAD or DEG button.

Yes, that's on my Android 9, turning the phone on the side also opens the scientific side. For some reason the factory installed calculator on the Android 6 does not give that option, plus it's just set work in radians. I know the spreadsheet in OpenOffice on my PC works in radians too, hence why I suddenly thought of checking why the calculations on Android 6 was so wrong.

Found this...but even it is different...

The calculator on the Android 6 is version 4. 1. 0. 3. In settings under Apps, I clicked the calculator, but it just gives force stop, notifications etc..

So by default that you can't change, it's stuck to radians.

Forum List

Back