Failures of Reaganomics

...and, of course, the space based defense system, derisively name "Star Wars" by the Low Information Democrats, is a complete success!

As I remember, one of the key features of "Reaganomics" was spending cuts. Real cuts, not just reductions in baseline increases.

When did those ever occur?

They occured during his first term (1981-1984) - Reagan sought--and won--more spending cuts than any other modern president. He is the only president in the last forty years to cut inflation-adjusted nondefense outlays, which fell by 9.7 percent during his first term.

He cut the budget of eight agencies out of fifteen during his first term, and ten out of fifteen during his second term.

Reagan is the only president to have cut the budget of the Department of Housing and Urban Development in one of his terms (a total of 40.1 percent during his second term).

He is the only president to have cut the budget of the Department of Transportation. He cut it by 10.5 percent during his first term, and by 7.5 percent during his second term.

During his first term in office, Reagan cut the real budget of the Department of Education by 18.6 percent, (that is the education part of what was then the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare) by 19.1 percent. That budget increased by 22.2 percent under Bush 41 and by 38.5 percent under Carter. Our current president has increased it by a whooping 67.6 percent.

Reagan managed to cut the budget of the Department of Commerce by 29 percent in constant dollars during his first term and by 3 percent during his second one.

He cut the real budget of the Department of Agriculture by 24 percent during his second term in office.

20040609_Table1_350.jpg

SOURCE: Author's calculations based on the Budget of the United States FY2005, the Budget Historical Tables, and the CBO outlook and review January 2004.

Last edited:
It boggles my mind, that cons idolize an Alzheimer patient that promised to balance the budget in his first four years, and then tripled the national debt with a fantasy of "STAR WARS" and building thousands of nuclear bombs that sit rotting in silos. Raygun also sold chemical weapons to Iraq, and sold cocaine with Noriega. He was a fucking asshole, and I'm really glad he's dead. If he's not in hell, then neither is Hitler.

The worst things he did, you didn't even mention.

...and, of course, the space based defense system, derisively name "Star Wars" by the Low Information Democrats, is a complete success!

Reagan was a Democrat ally. Gave 3 million illegal aliens amnesty. They expanded into 3 times that many. And guess who they're voting for now. He also gave them EMTALA, at US taxpayers' expense, and opposed the Briggs Initiative.

It boggles my mind, that cons idolize an Alzheimer patient that promised to balance the budget in his first four years, and then tripled the national debt with a fantasy of "STAR WARS" and building thousands of nuclear bombs that sit rotting in silos. Raygun also sold chemical weapons to Iraq, and sold cocaine with Noriega. He was a fucking asshole, and I'm really glad he's dead. If he's not in hell, then neither is Hitler.

Yes, we know: he called your home team an "Evil Empire", promised to defeat them, then made good on that promise

Reagan was a Democrat ally. Gave 3 million illegal aliens amnesty. They expanded into 3 times that many. And guess who they're voting for now. He also gave them EMTALA, at US taxpayers' expense, and opposed the Briggs Initiative.

Never said he was perfect. He should have brought back Ike's "Operation Wetback". That's Ike in your Avi, right Jake?

Yes, we know: he called your home team an "Evil Empire", promised to defeat them, then made good on that promise

Not my home team. My home team is the US ARMY (102nd Army Corps of Engineers Battalion, 42nd Infantry Division), and the USA. Your buddy was a pal of our # 1 enemy in the world > Mexico. So I guess you must like them too ?

PS - only ones Reagan defeated was the American people. As for the Soviets, he just happened to be around when they crashed, so his mouthpieces painted him up as the hero (and you fall for it)

Last edited:

Never said he was perfect. He should have brought back Ike's "Operation Wetback". That's Ike in your Avi, right Jake?

He did just the opposite of OW, Jack. He gave the invaders amnesty & EMTALA. He couldn't have been more unlike Ike. When Ike was grinding his way across Germany on his way to Berlin and VICTORY in World War II (as the Supreme Commander of Allied Forces in Europe), Reagan was in Hollywood making movies about it.

http://thepoliticsforums.com/images/smilies/newsmilies/geez.gif

Last edited:

He did just the opposite of OW, Jack. He gave the invaders amnesty & EMTALA. He couldn't have been more unlike Ike. When Ike was grinding his way across Germany on his way to Berlin and VICTORY in World War II (as the Supreme Commander of Allied Forces in Europe), Reagan was in Hollywood making movies about it.

http://thepoliticsforums.com/images/smilies/newsmilies/geez.gif

Patton did most of the heavy lifting and would have arrived in Berlin ahead of your Soviets. Acting on advice of Soviets, Ike ordered Patton to divert to the imaginary German " national redoubt" Berlin split in half because Ike was duped by the Soviets. Until Reagan liberated them, the East Germans would live as slaves to your Soviets for generations -- because of Ike.

Sent from smartphone using my wits and Taptalk

Personally I believe that the biggest fucking lowlifes on the planet are those who lie about military service. You can rob a bank, cheat the IRS, but lie about military service? Absolutely despicable

Sent from smartphone using my wits and Taptalk

Even if Reagan had done all those things, it's nothing compared to whoever cut off your medications. You are one sick puppy!

Only fukwit morons don't know that he did those things, and only scumbags would support a shit for brains like Raygun. You're so proud to be part of the scumbag moron GOP. Meathead fits.

Even if Reagan had done all those things, it's nothing compared to whoever cut off your medications. You are one sick puppy!

Only fukwit morons don't know that he did those things, and only scumbags would support a shit for brains like Raygun. You're so proud to be part of the scumbag moron GOP. Meathead fits.
What did he do, cut off your free methadone? Fewer things sadder than a drug-addled aging hipster.

Reagan this...

Reagan that....

Reagan.....

Reagan.....

You'd think he was a king.

He did a good job given all that was going on.

He didn't always do the best thing and sometimes he did the wrong thing.

The OP was about Reaganomics....does Reaganomics include his position on amnesty ?

Is sock upset?

Amazing how the office of the Presidency changed since Reagan. Reagan got all that done with a Democrat Congress. Obama, with a 2 year veto-proof majority and 6 year control of the Senate, is all but powerless against a few Conservative Congressmen

Hussein is in his second term. How's the economy doing? If lefties would stop blaming previous administration and look at the freaking mess that this Country is in under Obama it might improve their mental health.

Hussein is in his second term. How's the economy doing? If lefties would stop blaming previous administration and look at the freaking mess that this Country is in under Obama it might improve their mental health.
But...but...but it's Bush's fault.

But...but...but it's Bush's fault.

Well, BushII following neoconservatism, which make him unique from Reagan or any of his other successors.

I don't think its fair to say Reaganomics (a/k/a Thatcherism or neoliberalism) is a "failure." I do think you can say that, like Keynes, the theory was useful in solving problems of its day, but it proved unequal to the task once global economies stopped stifiling letting capital seek out risk, and set the loss or gain based on risk be set by market forces.

Forum List

Back