Family Gets Letter In Mail Stating Their $333 Heath Ins Increases To $965 (Obamacare

Steve_McGarrett

Gold Member
Jul 11, 2013
This is outrageous for this white family to have to mandatory abide by this or be penalized if they don't. You have to ask yourselves why are politicians funding a program that the American people do not want? Everybody I know is getting word that their health insurance premiums are not decreasing but rather tripling in price. This is going to financially destroy the middle class. The A.C.A. doesn't stand for 'Affordable Care Act'. It stands for 'Affordable Con Act'.

One man's ObamaCare nightmare | Fox News

Andy and Amy Mangione of Louisville, Ky. and their two boys are just the kind of people who should be helped by ObamaCare. But they recently got a nasty surprise in the mail.

It had stunning news. Insurance for the Mangiones and their two boys, which they bought on the individual market, was going to almost triple in 2014 --- from $333 a month to $965.

The insurance carrier made it clear the increase was in order to be compliant with the new health care law.

"This isn't a Cadillac plan, this isn't even a silver plan," Mangione said, referring to higher levels of coverage under ObamaCare.

"This is a high deductible plan where I'm assuming a lot of risk for my health insurance for my family. And nothing has changed, our boys are healthy-- they're young --my wife is healthy. I'm healthy, nothing in our medical history has changed to warrant a tripling of our premiums.

"Well I'm the one that does the budget,” said his wife. "Eventually I've got that coming down the pike that I gotta figure out what we're gonna cut what we're gonna do, to afford a $1,000 a month premium."

Their insurance company, Humana, declined to comment...

Last edited:
  • Banned
Sigh you Rightyloons just gotta keep digging doncha?
Why don't you make a substantive comment on the family's health insurance premium of $333.00 per month tripling to $965.00 under Obamacare. Is that a good thing for them?

These people are probably making this shit up.
Everybody knows ObamaCare lowers costs.

ObamaCare....so it begins.
Wonder how many more lettter's are out there just like this one...

Poor LL, you made the accusation that I had been bullshitting....go back over there and show me where or just go away.

I can tell you that I did take a call last week where a Family had gotten thier letter telling them that their premiums had gone up 400 dollars...was that man lying?

Poor LL, you made the accusation that I had been bullshitting....go back over there and show me where or just go away.

I can tell you that I did take a call last week where a Family had gotten thier letter telling them that their premiums had gone up 400 dollars...was that man lying?

333 to 965. Family of four.

Dish on, Roo. Dish on.

My premiums have tripled since Obamacare was passed and my coverage has gone down. If the fly on the wall in the upper ups' conference room is to be believed, sometime this week we'll be getting a letter saying our policy will be dropped completely on Jan 1, 2015.

But hey, Obamacare was a Great Leap Forward.

Dish on, Roo. Dish on.

LMAO....so you contend that I can speak knowledgeably on this?

Pray tell how?

As an aside it is duly noted that you have conceded that you cannot back up your assertions.

I forgive you.

Where in the hell does a family get health insurance at $333 dollars a month?
I have checked into private health insurance that I could purchase and there was not one for a family of three for less than 1-11.1k per month.

Dish on, Roo. Dish on.

LMAO....so you contend that I can speak knowledgeably on this?

Pray tell how?

As an aside it is duly noted that you have conceded that you cannot back up your assertions.

I forgive you.

You just did it again. Way to go!

Their coverage would triple from a very low premium ($333 is quite cheap for a family with private insurance, it was likely simple catastrophic care) to much higher because the plan would be required to offer a lot more.

I'm not sure why they are just sighing and saying well that sucks how do we budget for it, the Kentucky Exchange will open in a couple days so they should be able to shop for a new insurance plan there. The calculator for Kentucky is here:

Subsidy Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Using above exchange calculator for family of four it shows premiums as follows for a bronze plan:

Income 50k = $1,945 ($162/m)
Income 75k = $5,706 ($475/m)
Income 100k = $6,871 ($572/m)

Still in an increase if their income is higher than the median in Ky, but hardly forced to pay $1000/month and the plan would have more benefits than their previous high deductible plan.

Where in the hell does a family get health insurance at $333 dollars a month?
I saw that too, for a family of four that is insanely cheap so they probably had some sort of high deductible catastrophic care coverage. Given insurance plans have certain min requirements there probably wasn't much of an equiv available after the new law goes into effect so a bronze plan is as close as they can get.

Either way this story isn't comparing their old insurance to what is available to them with the new law, it is doing a comparison for one single insurance plan. I'm not doubting insurance rates might rise for young middle class types, but the story is kind of running with an outlier for rates tripling.

Forum List

Back