Family Kicked Off Flight After Daughter With Autism Deemed 'Disruptive'

timslash

Dec 4, 2014
Buffalo. NY
And maybe you can tell me why?!
While our government(i understand that there are two words to describe that - "Double Standards") are trying to make lives of one part of our society better, they forget about other...
How long will we see such incompetence?!
An Oregon mom has filed a complaint against United Airlines after it removed her and family from a flight because it said her 15-year-old daughter, who has autism, had become "disruptive."
Family Kicked Off Flight After Daughter With Autism Deemed Disruptive - NBC News
The woman, Dr. Donna Beegle of Tigard, Oregon — a prominent advocate for anti-poverty programs who frequently consults with state and federal government agencies — was returning home with her family from a trip to Walt Disney World last week when her daughter Juliette became agitated because she was hungry during a layover in Houston, Beegle said.

What does the government have to do with a private airline removing a customer from an airplane?

I do think the family has a suit though, not that I agree with the law, but you can't discriminate against the handicapped.

What does the government have to do with a private airline removing a customer from an airplane?

I do think the family has a suit though, not that I agree with the law, but you can't discriminate against the handicapped.

Yeah, I am not seeing how this is the fault of the government either. Was it the fault of the government when an airline refused to allow a person to board after he refused to change his shirt with "fuck" on it? Not hardly.

but you can't discriminate against the handicapped.

How is removing a disruptive passenger discrimination?
Unless they routinely allow disruptions by the non-handicapped?

And maybe you can tell me why?!
While our government(i understand that there are two words to describe that - "Double Standards") are trying to make lives of one part of our society better, they forget about other...
How long will we see such incompetence?!
An Oregon mom has filed a complaint against United Airlines after it removed her and family from a flight because it said her 15-year-old daughter, who has autism, had become "disruptive."
Family Kicked Off Flight After Daughter With Autism Deemed Disruptive - NBC News
The woman, Dr. Donna Beegle of Tigard, Oregon — a prominent advocate for anti-poverty programs who frequently consults with state and federal government agencies — was returning home with her family from a trip to Walt Disney World last week when her daughter Juliette became agitated because she was hungry during a layover in Houston, Beegle said.

timslash

"While our government(i understand that there are two words to describe that - "Double Standards") are trying to make lives of one part of our society better, they forget about other...
How long will we see such incompetence?!"

Is this going to be another idiotic claim that its Obama's fault?

UAL is a private company and is not under the control of the govt.

Last edited:
Plane rides are an especially difficult thing for children with autism. There have been kids I've worked with who we spent weeks talking about things like the pressure changes and appropriate behavior for plane passengers. I've heard of some extreme cases involving kids, but this seems like the airline not being reasonable.

The way the law reads you have to make "reasonable" allowances for the handicapped. Now, I don't know what level of disturbance the girl was creating, but I doubt it was so bad that they couldn't have made an allowance. She's a little girl , for God's sakes.

I can't watch the video so would appreciate if someone could describe what the girl did.

A 15yo is NOT " a little girl" and could be VERY disruptive. Should other passengers be forced to put up with it? Was the girl causing any danger? Should her behavior get a pass because of her handicap?

Plane rides are an especially difficult thing for children with autism. There have been kids I've worked with who we spent weeks talking about things like the pressure changes and appropriate behavior for plane passengers. I've heard of some extreme cases involving kids, but this seems like the airline not being reasonable.

There are other modes of travel.

Oh......sorry......we must all give in to the insanity because she's handicapped.

My mistake.

Btw, nothing is worse than an angry passenger on a long flight.....no matter what their problem is.

Last edited:
I can't watch the video so would appreciate if someone could describe what the girl did.

A 15yo is NOT " a little girl" and could be VERY disruptive. Should other passengers be forced to put up with it? Was the girl causing any danger? Should her behavior get a pass because of her handicap?

A 15 year old female with autism certainly is a little girl. In terms of behavior anyway. And yes, according to the law the other passengers just have to put with reasonable allowances for her disability.

Remember , YOU are the one who agrees with public accommodation laws, not me.

Oh......sorry......we must all give in to the insanity because she's handicapped.

My mistake.

Btw, nothing is worse than an angry passenger on a long flight.....no matter what their problem is.

Wrong. I'd rather sit in a plane full of angry passengers, than sit next to one fat person. They disgust me.

The way the law reads you have to make "reasonable" allowances for the handicapped. Now, I don't know what level of disturbance the girl was creating, but I doubt it was so bad that they couldn't have made an allowance. She's a little girl , for God's sakes.

The way the law reads you have to make "reasonable" allowances for the handicapped.

I guess wailing and screaming for an hour wasn't reasonable enough.

She's a little girl

No, she's 15. And the Mom said if she didn't get a hot meal, she might start scratching people.
They did the right thing.

If you have a child with this condition - why on earth wouldn’t you bring snacks with you .. instead of making demands on others to meet her needs?

My mistake.

Wrong. I'd rather sit in a plane full of angry passengers, than sit next to one fat person. They disgust me.
Okay.....if you say so.......

What if the person is an angry fat fucker with Autism?????

The way the law reads you have to make "reasonable" allowances for the handicapped.

I guess wailing and screaming for an hour wasn't reasonable enough.

She's a little girl

No, she's 15. And the Mom said if she didn't get a hot meal, she might start scratching people.
They did the right thing.

Why are people so illiterate?

I don't agree with the laws protecting certain groups, but those laws exist, so this family has a possible lawsuit. It entirely depends on just how much of a disturbance this little girl was , and yes shes a little girl, It's just a turn of phrase, why morons like you are trying to make a big deal of it is beyond me.

My mistake.

Okay.....if you say so.......

What if the person is an angry fat fucker with Autism?????

f the person is an angry fat fuck with Autism, you're screwed.

A 15 year old female with autism certainly is a little girl. In terms of behavior anyway. And yes, according to the law the other passengers just have to put with reasonable allowances for her disability.

Remember , YOU are the one who agrees with public accommodation laws, not me.

GAWD, here we go again.

Read what I wrote IN CONTEXT. If that's difficult for you, note the words I bolded.

"A 15yo is NOT " a little girl" and could be VERY disruptive."

You wrote "little". I disagree that a 15yo is likely to be "little". IMO, its much more likely that she is closer to the size of an adult than of a "little girl". Get it?

"Remember , YOU are the one who agrees with public accommodation laws, not me."

Post proof that you know what laws I agree with.

:rolleyes:

Forum List

Back