FBI admits to spying on Burning Man

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
I'm trying to understand the logic behind thinking they are going to infiltrate terrorist groups at Burning Man. This is basically a gathering of hippies who probably wouldn't even squash a spider in their own house.

Isn't sending in government spies to infiltrate peaceful gatherings the kind of thing that goes in totalitarian regimes?

I think it is pretty disturbing for the government to be testing surveillance equipment against Americans while claiming that crowd control and drug use are the most significant problems facing law enforcement. Face it, if the FBI will go to an inane hippie event like Burning Man, where else will they go and what else will they use to spy on you and control your movement?

I'm trying to understand the logic behind thinking they are going to infiltrate terrorist groups at Burning Man. This is basically a gathering of hippies who probably wouldn't even squash a spider in their own house.

Isn't sending in government spies to infiltrate peaceful gatherings the kind of thing that goes in totalitarian regimes?

In America, Progressive means Fascist

Did it occur to you that perhaps they were studying how a terrorist might attack a public festival, or some other useful agenda? We all agree that hippies arent a threat, so why on earth would you think the experts at the FBI dont know that too? Whatever it is you think they were there for, that isnt why they were there. Dont be naive.

I think it is pretty disturbing for the government to be testing surveillance equipment against Americans while claiming that crowd control and drug use are the most significant problems facing law enforcement. Face it, if the FBI will go to an inane hippie event like Burning Man, where else will they go and what else will they use to spy on you and control your movement?

Yeah...obama should do something about it.

Yep, I wrote him and told him that he should do this at the Republican National Convention next year.

Yep, I wrote him and told him that he should do this at the Republican National Convention next year.

Hell why not? He already used the IRS in that capacity.

Old story. When I used to go, there would always be an unusual group of middle aged dudes who drank nothing but water. It was hilarious. Can't blame them; counterculture in this day and age is capable of serious destruction. Would be nice if it wasn't.

Did it occur to you that perhaps they were studying how a terrorist might attack a public festival, or some other useful agenda? We all agree that hippies arent a threat, so why on earth would you think the experts at the FBI dont know that too? Whatever it is you think they were there for, that isnt why they were there. Dont be naive.
Drugs. Drugs. Drugs.

Drugs have become the primary motivation for the vast majority of law-enforcement expenditure and exercise. It has become a kind of religious obsession for all kinds of cops at all levels and the fundamental reason for that is drugs represent money. Vast amounts of money.

Get used to it people. The Feds are everywhere and the FBI is a tool of the administration.

Burning Man is a huge event and with logistics and planning required that would equal any other world class event of that size or even larger. Highly qualified professionals have to be involved to pull it off. Everyone involved isn't just a hippie. I don't know what they were looking for, but to say no one involved with Burning Man was capable of engaging in something of interest to the FBI is just silly.

Burning man is hardly peaceful.

#2 they were hardly spying.

Some hippies are "peaceful", some sell LSD to underage kids.

The Burning Man crowd is basically the Occupy Wall Street nitwits throwing a party. ...... :cool:

can't wait until we get to turn the power of the government on our enemies

Yeah, why does Media Matters get 501c3 Status?

can't wait until we get to turn the power of the government on our enemies

Yeah, why does Media Matters get 501c3 Status?
AND Why does Americans for Prosperity get 501c4 status?

Because you all tried to stop Lerner from doing her job and following THE LAW on those type of groups....

But you KNOW that already, eh?

Last edited:
You have got to assume that there is a huge drug trade going on at this ridiculous fucking festival.

You have got to assume that there is a huge drug trade going on at this ridiculous fucking festival.
And a lot of people have a really good time because of it -- just like there is a huge trade in alcoholic beverages attending or surrounding every major sports event, Spring Break or New Year's Eve, celebration, and more. But in spite of the fact that beverage alcohol causes an average 10,000 deaths per year in the U.S. alone, along with thousands more serious illnesses, such as liver cirrhosis, neuropathic toxicity and blindness, there is no FBI presence when booze is the drug of choice.

And a lot of people have a really good time because of it -- just like there is a huge trade in alcoholic beverages attending or surrounding every major sports event, Spring Break or New Year's Eve, celebration, and more. But in spite of the fact that beverage alcohol causes an average 10,000 deaths per year in the U.S. alone, along with thousands more serious illnesses, such as liver cirrhosis, neuropathic toxicity and blindness, there is no FBI presence when booze is the drug of choice.

You took that and kind of swerved off the road in a different direction, didn't you?

Forum List

Back