CDZ Fear and guns....a discussion.

Obviously not. When you plan and commit murder, you are not law abiding. You are a criminal and a murderer.
I'm speaking about just before they did the shooting. Many people who have killed someone were a law abiding citizen before they pulled the trigger.

Many people who have killed someone were a law abiding citizen before they pulled the trigger.

Actual research into criminal behavior points out that you and many other people who are against gun ownership are wrong. Normal people do not murder other people simply because they own a gun....the people who use a gun, or any other tool, to commit murder are abnormal...and have long histories of violence and long criminal records.....

The Kate and Mauser study.......

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/jlpp/Vol30_No2_KatesMauseronline.pdf

I. VIOLENCE: THE DECISIVENESS OF SOCIAL FACTORS

One reason the extent of gun ownership in a society does not spur the murder rate is that murderers are not spread evenly throughout the population.

Analysis of perpetrator studies shows that violent criminals—especially murderers—“almost uniformly have a long history of involvement in criminal behav‐ ior.”37

So it would not appreciably raise violence if all law‐ abiding, responsible people had firearms because they are not the ones who rape, rob, or murder.38 By the same token, violent crime would not fall if guns were totally banned to civilians. As the respective examples of Luxembourg and Russia suggest,39 individuals who commit violent crimes will either find guns despite severe controls or will find other weapons to use. 40

--------------------------

III. DO ORDINARY PEOPLE MURDER?

The “more guns equal more death” mantra seems plausible only when viewed through the rubric that murders mostly in‐ volve ordinary people who kill because they have access to a firearm when they get angry. If this were true, murder might well increase where people have ready access to firearms, but the available data provides no such correlation.

Nations and areas with more guns per capita do not have higher murder rates than those with fewer guns per capita.53

Nevertheless, critics of gun ownership often argue that a “gun in the closet to protect against burglars will most likely be used to shoot a spouse in a moment of rage . . . . The problem is you and me—law‐abiding folks;”54

that banning handgun posses‐ sion only for those with criminal records will “fail to protect us from the most likely source of handgun murder: ordinary citi‐ zens;”55 that “most gun‐related homicides . . . are the result of impulsive actions taken by individuals who have little or no criminal background or who are known to the victims;”56 that “the majority of firearm homicide[s occur] . . . not as the result of criminal activity, but because of arguments between people who know each other;”57 that each year there are thousands of gun murders “by law‐abiding citizens who might have stayed law‐abiding if they had not possessed firearms.”58

These comments appear to rest on no evidence and actually con‐ tradict facts that have so uniformly been established by homicide studies dating back to the 1890s that they have become “crimino‐ logical axioms.”59 Insofar as studies focus on perpetrators, they show that neither a majority, nor many, nor virtually any murder‐ ers are ordinary “law‐abiding citizens.”60

Rather, almost all mur‐ derers are extremely aberrant individuals with life histories of violence, psychopathology, substance abuse, and other dangerous behaviors. “The vast majority of persons involved in life‐ threatening violence have a long criminal record with many prior contacts with the justice system.”61 “Thus homicide—[whether] of a stranger or [of] someone known to the offender—‘is usually part of a pattern of violence, engaged in by people who are known . . . as violence prone.’”62

Though only 15% of Americans over the age of 15 have arrest records,63 approximately 90 percent of “adult mur‐ derers have adult records, with an average adult criminal career [involving crimes committed as an adult rather than a child] of six or more years, including four major adult felony arrests.”64

These national statistics dovetail with data from local nineteenth and twentieth century studies. For example: victims as well as offenders [in 1950s and 1960s Philadelphia murders] . . . tended to be people with prior police records, usually for violent crimes such as as‐ sault.”65

“The great majority of both perpetrators and victims of [1970s Harlem] assaults and murders had previous [adult] arrests, probably over 80% or more.”66 Boston police and probation officers in the 1990s agreed that of those juvenile‐perpetrated murders where all the facts were known, virtually all were committed by gang members, though the killing was not necessarily gang‐ directed. 67 One example would be a gang member who stabs his girlfriend to death in a fit of anger.68 Regardless of their arrests for other crimes, 80% of 1997 Atlanta murder arrestees had at least one earlier drug offense with 70% having 3 or more prior drug of‐ fenses.69

A New York Times study of the 1,662 murders committed in that city in the years 2003–2005 found that “[m]ore than 90 percent of the killers had criminal records.”70 Baltimore police figures show that “92 percent of murder suspects had [prior] criminal records in 2006.”71 Several of the more recent homicide studies just reviewed
Sorry not wrong. The first 3 I looked at had no prior convictions. If I had the time I'm sure many more would fit the bill. Especially the children involved in the shootings.
Obviously not. When you plan and commit murder, you are not law abiding. You are a criminal and a murderer.
I'm speaking about just before they did the shooting. Many people who have killed someone were a law abiding citizen before they pulled the trigger.

Many people who have killed someone were a law abiding citizen before they pulled the trigger.

Actual research into criminal behavior points out that you and many other people who are against gun ownership are wrong. Normal people do not murder other people simply because they own a gun....the people who use a gun, or any other tool, to commit murder are abnormal...and have long histories of violence and long criminal records.....

The Kate and Mauser study.......

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/jlpp/Vol30_No2_KatesMauseronline.pdf

I. VIOLENCE: THE DECISIVENESS OF SOCIAL FACTORS

One reason the extent of gun ownership in a society does not spur the murder rate is that murderers are not spread evenly throughout the population.

Analysis of perpetrator studies shows that violent criminals—especially murderers—“almost uniformly have a long history of involvement in criminal behav‐ ior.”37

So it would not appreciably raise violence if all law‐ abiding, responsible people had firearms because they are not the ones who rape, rob, or murder.38 By the same token, violent crime would not fall if guns were totally banned to civilians. As the respective examples of Luxembourg and Russia suggest,39 individuals who commit violent crimes will either find guns despite severe controls or will find other weapons to use. 40

--------------------------

III. DO ORDINARY PEOPLE MURDER?

The “more guns equal more death” mantra seems plausible only when viewed through the rubric that murders mostly in‐ volve ordinary people who kill because they have access to a firearm when they get angry. If this were true, murder might well increase where people have ready access to firearms, but the available data provides no such correlation.

Nations and areas with more guns per capita do not have higher murder rates than those with fewer guns per capita.53

Nevertheless, critics of gun ownership often argue that a “gun in the closet to protect against burglars will most likely be used to shoot a spouse in a moment of rage . . . . The problem is you and me—law‐abiding folks;”54

that banning handgun posses‐ sion only for those with criminal records will “fail to protect us from the most likely source of handgun murder: ordinary citi‐ zens;”55 that “most gun‐related homicides . . . are the result of impulsive actions taken by individuals who have little or no criminal background or who are known to the victims;”56 that “the majority of firearm homicide[s occur] . . . not as the result of criminal activity, but because of arguments between people who know each other;”57 that each year there are thousands of gun murders “by law‐abiding citizens who might have stayed law‐abiding if they had not possessed firearms.”58

These comments appear to rest on no evidence and actually con‐ tradict facts that have so uniformly been established by homicide studies dating back to the 1890s that they have become “crimino‐ logical axioms.”59 Insofar as studies focus on perpetrators, they show that neither a majority, nor many, nor virtually any murder‐ ers are ordinary “law‐abiding citizens.”60

Rather, almost all mur‐ derers are extremely aberrant individuals with life histories of violence, psychopathology, substance abuse, and other dangerous behaviors. “The vast majority of persons involved in life‐ threatening violence have a long criminal record with many prior contacts with the justice system.”61 “Thus homicide—[whether] of a stranger or [of] someone known to the offender—‘is usually part of a pattern of violence, engaged in by people who are known . . . as violence prone.’”62

Though only 15% of Americans over the age of 15 have arrest records,63 approximately 90 percent of “adult mur‐ derers have adult records, with an average adult criminal career [involving crimes committed as an adult rather than a child] of six or more years, including four major adult felony arrests.”64

These national statistics dovetail with data from local nineteenth and twentieth century studies. For example: victims as well as offenders [in 1950s and 1960s Philadelphia murders] . . . tended to be people with prior police records, usually for violent crimes such as as‐ sault.”65

“The great majority of both perpetrators and victims of [1970s Harlem] assaults and murders had previous [adult] arrests, probably over 80% or more.”66 Boston police and probation officers in the 1990s agreed that of those juvenile‐perpetrated murders where all the facts were known, virtually all were committed by gang members, though the killing was not necessarily gang‐ directed. 67 One example would be a gang member who stabs his girlfriend to death in a fit of anger.68 Regardless of their arrests for other crimes, 80% of 1997 Atlanta murder arrestees had at least one earlier drug offense with 70% having 3 or more prior drug of‐ fenses.69

A New York Times study of the 1,662 murders committed in that city in the years 2003–2005 found that “[m]ore than 90 percent of the killers had criminal records.”70 Baltimore police figures show that “92 percent of murder suspects had [prior] criminal records in 2006.”71 Several of the more recent homicide studies just reviewed
Just pointing out that your study should have no bearing on ChrisL because it was done by a Canadian. Even though it argues for her side.

We have plenty of our own studies. Thanks. :) Like the most recent one that Obama had done which found that gun defense usage was at least as common as gun criminal usage.
The report you reference was produced by the CDC. The same CDC that so many people claim are part of a vast left wing conspiracy to "grab" people's guns. The subject of this thread is whether gun owners are reacting from fear, rather than rationality. Those so-called "gun rights advocates" who are afraid of what the CDC will find are reacting from fear, not rationality.

no...we,don't want tax money going to deny a Right......based on biased research.....

As the burden of making automobiles safe has been turned over to the auto manufacturers so the gun safety issue should first be turned over to the gun manufacturers.
One of the problems with gun deaths is the "spur of the moment" shooting by normally reasonable people.

And unsecured guns that end up in the hands of children.

there are 74.2 million children in the country...how many died from accidental gun deaths....69. Ban cars...cars are the leading cause of death for children.

One is too many. Get back to us when you can ditch your car and drive your gun(s) to work, church, and Walmart.

If one is too many than the 35,000 that cars kill are 34,999 too many and cars should be banned......

So you realize that there are 357 million guns in private hands......and only 8,124 gun murders, which means less than 8,124 guns are used to commit murder in this country.

Actual research shows that the majority of those who use guns to commit murder are violent career criminals murdering other career criminals...which means your entire post is wrong....you do not know what you are talking about.

356,991,876 million guns in private hands are not used to commit crime or murder anyone.....

356,991,876 vs. less than 8,124 which number is bigger and by how much?

Do you see how wrong you are?

And the cherished Europe with their gun control laws.....in the 1940s the countries of Europe marched 12 million unarmed people into gas chambers....after they disarmed them. And then after the war...they allowed themselves to be disarmed again...thinking that there is no way it could ever happen again....

Who is the more foolish, us or them?
Just responding to the bolded part. The gun debate usually comes up after a mass shooting. In many of the cases of these mass shootings the perpertator was a law abiding citizen just before they committed these acts. You can't have a debate where you divide people up as either law abiding or criminal. Many law abiding citizens have killed people.

Actually, that is not true.....90% of gun murderers have long criminal records.....it is a myth that normal people use guns to commit crimes. And the other interesting fact...the majority of victims of gun crime also have long histories of crime and violence.
It is certainly not true for the mass shootings perpertators and I actually don't believe that stat.

the mass shooters kill the fewest people in any given year......the real shooters are in inner cities controlled by democrats.

What's pathetic is you wanting to leave women unarmed and defenseless because you are afraid of guns. THAT is pathetic.

What in the world are you talking about woman?
Read my hips...... Where in the world I say women should stop protecting themselves? You are way off and pathetic and dumb.

Read your hips? :)

My point stands, you have no say in my decision. It's a personal decision that each person makes, as is their right to do so.

Bringing up criminals does not a point make. Criminals do not follow laws. That is why they are criminals. The fact that this has to be explained over and over again is very tiresome.

Tiresome? People like me and other people here do not live in fear. We have more other things to enjoy than you are trying to advocate. Fear.... Who are you to tell me that I should arm myself because of your fear? .... As I previously mentioned in my neighborhood we do not close or lock our gates since I was born. We leave our doors unlock.
If your decision to arm yourself I'm not stopping you. I could care less....

Who is telling you to arm yourself? Nobody is. Stop being a drama queen. AND it is "I could NOT care less."

You are a dishonest person.

Where have I been dishonest? You are crazy. Lol. Now, I want you to post anything I've said that is "dishonest." If you do not come up with something, then we will know who the "dishonest" one is. If you don't answer or if you don't come up with anything, I will placing you on ignore as being a liar and trying to character assassinate me. K? :) So, I'll be waiting for your evidence.

Do have statistics to back up your claims?
Really. Are you suggesting that everyone who killed someone with a gun in the US had a criminal record already?

The first three I checked all had no prior convictions and they all got their weapons legally.

Christopher Sean Harper-Mercer
Adam Lanza
Andrew Engeldinger

All were law abiding citizens before their mass killings.

There were 8,124 gun murders in 2014.......mass shooters.....here you go...

Here is the left wing news source...Mother Jones...they hate guns, just like you...they too have tracked mass shootings...and here is what they found...

If you go to the link they list each year and the specific mass shootings with details....injured, killed, weapons used.....do more research......you will post more intelligently....

US Mass Shootings, 1982-2015: Data From Mother Jones' Investigation

Sooooo....

How many deaths on average according to Mother Jones...anti gun, uber left wing Mother Jones.......each year, well less than 100.

2014..... 9
2013..... 36
2012..... 72
2011..... 19
2002...not listed by mother jones

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf

Cars, Accidental deaths 2013......35,369

Poisons...accidental deaths 2013....38,851

Alcohol...accidental deaths 2013...29,001

gravity....accidental falling deaths 2013...30,208
Accidental drowning.....3,391
Accidental exposure to smoke, fire and flames.....2,760

Deaths from mass shootings 2013..... 36

Accidental gun deaths 2013......505

Those are the numbers of deaths from mass shootings in the United States.....and even in the big year, 2012, they didn't break 72 deaths by mass shooters.

How many guns are there in American hands....357 million.

How many people carry guns for self defense...over 13 mill
Your link has only 9 for 2014 and the Sandy Hook shootings were that year. That alone killed 27.

you read that wrong. Sandy hook was in 2012......

What's pathetic is you wanting to leave women unarmed and defenseless because you are afraid of guns. THAT is pathetic.

Read my hips...... Where in the world I say women should stop protecting themselves? You are way off and pathetic and dumb.

My point stands, you have no say in my decision. It's a personal decision that each person makes, as is their right to do so.

Bringing up criminals does not a point make. Criminals do not follow laws. That is why they are criminals. The fact that this has to be explained over and over again is very tiresome.

Tiresome? People like me and other people here do not live in fear. We have more other things to enjoy than you are trying to advocate. Fear.... Who are you to tell me that I should arm myself because of your fear? .... As I previously mentioned in my neighborhood we do not close or lock our gates since I was born. We leave our doors unlock.

Who is telling you to arm yourself? Nobody is. Stop being a drama queen. AND it is "I could NOT care less."

Remember this. When you make false accusations against people, you are a rotten person.

Adam Lanza
Andrew Engeldinger

Yes... and...?
How do you propose we prevent people who legally own a legal gun from committing a crime with it?
I just pointed out that we need to stop the fallacy of "law abiding citizens" in these debates.

it is not a fallacy...law abiding citizens own 356,991,876 million guns......gun murderers own less than 8,124...do you know which number is bigger?

You do??? So are you from our Great Country, The United States where we have constitutionally guaranteed rights?
I live in the Great Country of Australia

Well, nobody cares about Australia, I understand, but I'm sure you could find somebody to talk to you.
The US are very happy to have our support when things go Tits Up

Your military??? :lol: Hilarious!
The truth is that Australia is always the first or among the first to take up arms with the U.S. They are one of our most loyal allies and I can personally attest to the bang-up job they did in Vietnam. Nothing slack about he Diggers.

The US does not need the support of Australia.

Do have statistics to back up your claims?
Really. Are you suggesting that everyone who killed someone with a gun in the US had a criminal record already?

The first three I checked all had no prior convictions and they all got their weapons legally.

Adam Lanza
Andrew Engeldinger

There were 8,124 gun murders in 2014.......mass shooters.....here you go...

Here is the left wing news source...Mother Jones...they hate guns, just like you...they too have tracked mass shootings...and here is what they found...

If you go to the link they list each year and the specific mass shootings with details....injured, killed, weapons used.....do more research......you will post more intelligently....

Sooooo....

How many deaths on average according to Mother Jones...anti gun, uber left wing Mother Jones.......each year, well less than 100.

2014..... 9
2013..... 36
2012..... 72
2011..... 19
2002...not listed by mother jones

Cars, Accidental deaths 2013......35,369

Poisons...accidental deaths 2013....38,851

Alcohol...accidental deaths 2013...29,001

gravity....accidental falling deaths 2013...30,208
Accidental drowning.....3,391
Accidental exposure to smoke, fire and flames.....2,760

Deaths from mass shootings 2013..... 36

Accidental gun deaths 2013......505

Those are the numbers of deaths from mass shootings in the United States.....and even in the big year, 2012, they didn't break 72 deaths by mass shooters.

How many guns are there in American hands....357 million.

How many people carry guns for self defense...over 13 mill
Your link has only 9 for 2014 and the Sandy Hook shootings were that year. That alone killed 27.

from Wikipedia....

The Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting occurred on December 14, 2012, in Newtown, Connecticut, when 20-year-old Adam Lanza fatally shot 20 children and 6 adult staff members.[5][6]

I live in the Great Country of Australia

Well, nobody cares about Australia, I understand, but I'm sure you could find somebody to talk to you.
The US are very happy to have our support when things go Tits Up

Your military??? :lol: Hilarious!
The truth is that Australia is always the first or among the first to take up arms with the U.S. They are one of our most loyal allies and I can personally attest to the bang-up job they did in Vietnam. Nothing slack about he Diggers.

The US does not need the support of Australia.

Especially if they are like that "person" who was posting here and claiming to be from Australia. Yikes. That is frightening to think about. He needs to stay over there in Australia forever.

Where have I been dishonest? You are crazy. Lol. Now, I want you to post anything I've said that is "dishonest." If you do not come up with something, then we will know who the "dishonest" one is. If you don't answer or if you don't come up with anything, I will placing you on ignore as being a liar and trying to character assassinate me. K? :) So, I'll be waiting for your evidence.
You have cited the CDC as a source authority and then denied that they do valid research. You can't have it both ways. That's dishonest.

You have cited the CDC as a source authority and then denied that they do valid research. You can't have it both ways. That's dishonest.

I didn't say they were dishonest. Nowhere did I say that. YOU are the dishonest one here.

this is in the CDZ because it gets a little old when some start talking sex organs and guns.....

soooo....

We are constantly told that if you carry a gun you are afraid.

Is this true.

No.

Carrying a gun for self defense is a rational response to the reality that even though I know where I live is ver safe, there are still criminals out there and that you never know when one will target you. These things happen every day, in every state, in every country.

How much fear goes into carrying a gun...for me....there is about as much emotion to carrying a gun as there is carrying my cell phone.

Now....the other side...the one that is constantly accusing my side of being afraid.....I believe that fear is what they feel....especially about guns. The don't like people, but they hate guns in the hands of people.

For example.

There are over 3,700,000 AR-15s in private hands in this country.

Each year maybe, maybe, 2-3 are used in any type of crime or even a mass shooting.

With those numbers, those who I believe fear guns want all AR-15s banned from private hands. To me, that is real fear. The numbers show that the odds of being a victim of a violent attack by an attacker with an AR-15 are so remote...you would actually have more of a chance of running into Big Foot and Elvis having Lunch with Aliens.....

And yet, they call for all AR-15s and other rifles like it to be completely banned.

And yet even if AR-15s are completely banned, there is not one crime that is committed on those rare occasions where an AR-15 is used that cannot be done to the same effect with a pistol, shot gun or other rifle or a combination of those......

Yet we are called scaredy cats for wearing a gun like we wear a cell phone or buckle our seat belts.

To a rational person....who sounds more afraid of guns...who sounds more filled with actual fear...?
Carrying a gun when going into a situation that could be dangerous is rational. Carrying a gun every moment you are outside your door... that is fear.

Carrying a gun every moment you are outside your door... that is fear.

"Uh, hey bud, can you give me about 20 minutes to go home and get my gun, so I can defend myself?"

A situation you assume is bound to happen. Because you live in fear.

Sad.

You have health insurance?

Car insurance?

get an annual flu shot?

Spare tire in your car?

First aid kit in your house?

locks on your doors?

Do you have those because of fear?

or because you like to be prepared?
By refusing to buy auto insurance I've saved several million dollars. Fuck insurance!

What could you do with a few million dollars?

And you claimed that they are NOT a politically driven organization until I proved you wrong by pointing out the fact that they receive funding from the federal government. Right? So who is the dishonest one here. You can fool yourself but not the truly "honest" people here. :)

Sorry, but my side has nothing to be dishonest about. That is all on your side and your argument. You use dishonesty. I don't have to do that. All the facts are on my side.

this is in the CDZ because it gets a little old when some start talking sex organs and guns.....

soooo....

We are constantly told that if you carry a gun you are afraid.

Is this true.

No.

Carrying a gun for self defense is a rational response to the reality that even though I know where I live is ver safe, there are still criminals out there and that you never know when one will target you. These things happen every day, in every state, in every country.

How much fear goes into carrying a gun...for me....there is about as much emotion to carrying a gun as there is carrying my cell phone.

Now....the other side...the one that is constantly accusing my side of being afraid.....I believe that fear is what they feel....especially about guns. The don't like people, but they hate guns in the hands of people.

For example.

There are over 3,700,000 AR-15s in private hands in this country.

Each year maybe, maybe, 2-3 are used in any type of crime or even a mass shooting.

With those numbers, those who I believe fear guns want all AR-15s banned from private hands. To me, that is real fear. The numbers show that the odds of being a victim of a violent attack by an attacker with an AR-15 are so remote...you would actually have more of a chance of running into Big Foot and Elvis having Lunch with Aliens.....

And yet, they call for all AR-15s and other rifles like it to be completely banned.

And yet even if AR-15s are completely banned, there is not one crime that is committed on those rare occasions where an AR-15 is used that cannot be done to the same effect with a pistol, shot gun or other rifle or a combination of those......

Yet we are called scaredy cats for wearing a gun like we wear a cell phone or buckle our seat belts.

To a rational person....who sounds more afraid of guns...who sounds more filled with actual fear...?
Carrying a gun when going into a situation that could be dangerous is rational. Carrying a gun every moment you are outside your door... that is fear.

"Uh, hey bud, can you give me about 20 minutes to go home and get my gun, so I can defend myself?"

Sad.

Car insurance?

get an annual flu shot?

Spare tire in your car?

locks on your doors?

By refusing to buy auto insurance I've saved several million dollars. Fuck insurance!

What did you do with it?

Wonder how many cars Muhammed has?

I've been driving about 50 years, and if I had never purchased car insurance, I might have saved about $30,000

Yet he saved millions?

Sad.

Car insurance?

get an annual flu shot?

Spare tire in your car?

locks on your doors?

What did you do with it?
A bunch of cocaine, some sweet-ass cars and guitars and a bright future for my children.

I didn't say they were dishonest. Nowhere did I say that. YOU are the dishonest one here.
"If the CDC was serious about preventing deaths, they would be looking at our psychiatric/mental health status."

The CDC is dedicated to preventing death. That is why they requesting that further research be done. You are stating, quite plainly, that they are NOT requesting further research to prevent deaths. That they are dishonest when they say that is what they are doing.

At the same time you believe that they are serious when they state that guns are effective for home defense. That is hypocrisy. That is dishonest.

It is a political move and a political issue. Mass shootings are less than 0.1% of ALL deaths in the United States.
What is a political move? The CDC studying gun deaths? You just admitted that their preliminary study backs up some of your beliefs. Mass shootings have not been mentioned, and have nothing to do with this discussion. It's up to the CDC to determine where their efforts are best focused, not a bunch of know-it-alls on a forum board.

I believe that the CDC should be allowed to do their work unhindered by congressional interference. I'm not afraid of what they will find. Are you?

Just because it turned out in favor of the people instead of the government does not mean it was NOT politically motivated. Of course it was! Come on! If you can't be honest about that fact, then I'm sorry, I have to consider you to be a dishonest individual with an agenda that goes against the rights of we the people of the United States of America.
Politically motivated? Of course it was politically motivated. Unfortunately you have no idea what that means. Elected representative are responsible to their constituents. 30,000 gun deaths a year is a problem. Elected representative are responsible for addressing problems like that. What you mean when you say "politically motivated" is a vast conspiracy to violate your rights. That is paranoia . The CDC report was unbiased. Period. It was not the "ammunition" that the most rabid anti-gun people wanted. If the CDC were in their pocket, they would have produced the conclusions those people wanted. They did not.

How in the world can you cite the CDC findings as proof of what you believe, then claim they are not being honest?

Oh, so now you are back pedaling and admitting that it was politically motivated? :D Funny because earlier you scoffed at the idea. The CDC is not going to be unbiased of course. They get their funding through the federal government. :) They even lobby the government for grants. Did ya know that?
Didya know that their preliminary report was unbiased? Of course you do, you cited it. You are simply dishonest and duplicitous. When it serves your purposes the CDC is a source authority. When you want to fantasize about "evil government agencies", then they're not to be trusted. Why can't I claim that their findings about the use of guns for self-protection were untrue? That the CDC are, in fact, tools of the pro-gun lobby? Oh yeah, that's right, I can't, because I'm rational and honorable. I don't hide from the truth and I don't want to conduct a debate based on false information or self-serving assumptions. I just want to bring down the rate of gun deaths in the USA. Those statistics weaken us, internationally. They represent families torn apart. Me and the CDC, we're all about bringing those numbers down. What about you?

This is why we do not trust the CDC....

Why Congress stopped gun control activism at the CDC

I was one of three medical doctors who testified before the House’s Labor, Health, Human Services, and Education Appropriations Subcommittee on March 6, 1996 about the CDC’s misdeeds. (Note: This testimony and related events are described in my three-part documented historical series). Here is what we showed the committee:

• Dr. Arthur Kellermann’s1993 New England Journal of Medicine article that launched his career as a rock star gun control advocate and gave rise to the much-repeated “three times” fallacy. His research was supported by two CDC grants.
Kellermann and his colleagues used the case control method, traditionally an epidemiology research tool, to claim that having a gun in the home triples the risk of becoming a homicide victim. In the article Kellermann admitted that “a majority of the homicides (50.9 percent) occurred in the context of a quarrel or a romantic triangle.” Still another 30 percent “were related to drug dealing” or “occurred during the commission of another felony, such as a robbery, rape, or burglary.”

In summary, the CDC funded a flawed study of crime-prone inner city residents who had been murdered in their homes. The authors then tried to equate this wildly unrepresentative group with typical American gun owners. The committee members were not amused.

• The Winter 1993 CDC official publication, Public Health Policy for Preventing Violence, coauthored by CDC official Dr. Mark Rosenberg. This taxpayer-funded gun control polemic offered two strategies for preventing firearm injuries—“restrictive licensing (for example, only police, military, guards, and so on)” and “prohibit gun ownership.”
  • The brazen public comments of top CDC officials, made at a time when gun prohibitionists were much more candid about their political goals.
We’re going to systematically build a case that owning firearms causes deaths. We’re doing the most we can do, given the political realities.” (P.W. O’Carroll, Acting Section Head of Division of Injury Control, CDC, quoted in Marsha F. Goldsmith, “Epidemiologists Aim at New Target: Health Risk of Handgun Proliferation,” Journal of the American Medical Association vol. 261 no. 5, February 3, 1989, pp. 675-76.) Dr. O’Carroll later said he had been misquoted.

But his successor Dr. Mark Rosenberg was quoted in the Washington Post as wanting his agency to create a public perception of firearms as “dirty, deadly—and banned.” (William Raspberry, “Sick People With Guns,” Washington Post, October 19, 1994.

• CDC Grant #R49/CCR903697-06 to the Trauma Foundation, a San Francisco gun control advocacy group, supporting a newsletter that frankly advocated gun control.
    • --------
    • So contrary to Speier’s tale of great minds shackled and research suppressed, Congress in fact simply directed the CDC to stop promoting gun control. To reasonable minds this is not at all controversial. Congress should ignore the tricksters and continue holding the CDC to its mission of objective research, not pushing for gun control.

Forum List

Back