🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Feinstein: CIA searched Intelligence Committee computers

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
The head of the Senate Intelligence Committee on Tuesday sharply accused the CIA of violating federal law and undermining the constitutional principle of congressional oversight as she detailed publicly for the first time how the agency secretly removed documents from computers used by her panel to investigate a controversial interrogation program.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said that the situation amounted to an attempted intimidation of congressional investigators, adding: "I am not taking it lightly."

She confirmed that an internal agency investigation of the action has been referred to the Justice Department for possible criminal prosecution. And she accused the CIA of violating the Fourth Amendment, various federal laws and a presidential executive order that bars the agency from conducting domestic searches and surveillance.

So it's ok for the average citizen to be spied upon, but when it happens to her it's an outrage. My sympathy is nonexistent. If anybody should be spied on it's the people in the government.

In a very superficial sense (having only seen the headlines) - the CIA's.

A specific individual, CIA agent, going into a specific person's computer, Senate Intelligence Committee member, for specific information is indeed troublesome.

Yeah. I saw this and had to laugh.

She takes no issue with the NSA spying on American citizens, but is outraged that the CIA spied on her committee.

Cry me a fucking river...

She takes no issue with the NSA spying on American citizens, but is outraged that the CIA spied on her committee.

So believing in equality as you do you will be happy to see just as many Congressional hearings on this as there was/will be for the NSA's program.

So believing in equality as you do you will be happy to see just as many Congressional hearings on this as there was/will be for the NSA's program.

Sure, for all the good it will do...

Only if we can see some more perjury like James Clapper committed. Maybe this time somebody will actually be prosecuted.

Only if we can see some more perjury like James Clapper committed. Maybe this time somebody will actually be prosecuted.

Well, let's get to it then. When is the first hearing schedule?

Of course in this case, there would probably be some punitive action taken...

We are, after all, talking about the ruling elite...

But seriously, as much as I dislike Feinstein, I find what the CIA is accused of doing just as bad as the NSA spying on U.S. citizens. In some ways worse.

Former NSA contractor Edward Snowden accused Sen. Dianne Feinstein of hypocrisy Tuesday for complaining about alleged CIA spying on U.S. senators while tolerating government spying on private citizens.

Feinstein, the California Democrat who chairs the Senate Intelligence Committee, said Tuesday that the CIA had searched the committee's computers and that the search was potentially criminal and may have violated the Fourth Amendment.

"It's clear the CIA was trying to play 'keep away' with documents relevant to an investigation by their overseers in Congress, and that's a serious constitutional concern,” said Snowden in a statement to NBC News. “But it's equally if not more concerning that we're seeing another 'Merkel Effect,' where an elected official does not care at all that the rights of millions of ordinary citizens are violated by our spies, but suddenly it's a scandal when a politician finds out the same thing happens to them."

Snowden: Feinstein a Hypocrite for Blasting CIA Spying - NBC News

Snowden hit the nail on the head.

Two top Senate leaders declared Tuesday that the CIA’s recent conduct has undermined the separation of powers as set out in the Constitution, setting the stage for a major battle to reassert the proper balance between the two branches.

Intelligence Committee chair Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), in a floor speech (transcript; video) that Judiciary Committee chair Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) immediately called the most important he had heard in his career, said the CIA had searched through computers belonging to staff members investigating the agency’s role in torturing detainees, and had then leveled false charges against her staff in an attempt to intimidate them.

“I have grave concerns that the CIA’s search may well have violated the separation of powers principle embodied in the United States Constitution, including the speech and debate clause,” she said. “It may have undermined the constitutional framework essential to effective congressional oversight of intelligence activities or any other government function.”

CIA Search of Congressional Computer Sparks Constitutional Crisis

Ignoring the blatant hypocrisy of Feinstein's position here, I believe this is a solid analysis of the situation.

She also a hypocrite when it comes to gun. She wants GUN control but carries a concealed permit to carry a gun and has armed guards. But she doesn't want average citizens the same rights

The head of the Senate Intelligence Committee on Tuesday sharply accused the CIA of violating federal law and undermining the constitutional principle of congressional oversight as she detailed publicly for the first time how the agency secretly removed documents from computers used by her panel to investigate a controversial interrogation program.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said that the situation amounted to an attempted intimidation of congressional investigators, adding: "I am not taking it lightly."

She confirmed that an internal agency investigation of the action has been referred to the Justice Department for possible criminal prosecution. And she accused the CIA of violating the Fourth Amendment, various federal laws and a presidential executive order that bars the agency from conducting domestic searches and surveillance.

So it's ok for the average citizen to be spied upon, but when it happens to her it's an outrage. My sympathy is nonexistent. If anybody should be spied on it's the people in the government.

I miss the olden days when no one even dared say "CIA" for fear of attracting their gaze.

The First Rule of CIA is: You don't talk about CIA...:)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back