Fiddler On The Roof...the movie...

asaratis

Uppity Senior Citizen
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2009
...I'm watching it on PBA30 right now. (see post time stamp)...

It is exceptionally entertaining and a very well-done rendition of a great play. I remember it being performed by a local theater group in my home town many years ago. The benefits of cinematography and editing are apparent. I'm not sure where this was filmed, but the images of what is supposed to be the desolate flats of Russia are quite realistic.

This film (made in 1971) is reminding me of Dr. Zhivago...and ranks closely to it regarding quality. That period in Russia must have been extremely difficult for the commoners to survive. To think that the arrival of a sewing machine could excite an entire village to such revelry is unfathomable to me.

Last edited:
It drives home the understanding of the hardship of being a Jew.

Academy Award ®

Winner: Best Cinematography, Best Sound, Best Score (Adaptation & Original Song)

Nominee: Best Picture, Best Actor (Topol), Best Supporting Actor (Leonard Frey), Best Director (Norman Jewison), Best Art Direction--Set Decoration

It drives home the understanding of the hardship of being a Jew.

After hearing him say "on the other hand" several times, he drew a line in the sand and said "there is no other hand."

He eventually softened but he showed that there are things in life that are more important than mere temporal pursuits..

One of my favorite songs: "Do You Love Me?"

My favorite is "If I Were a Rich Man."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl7BVr36bbs]Fiddler On The Roof - If I Were A Rich Man [With Lyrics] - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7mawLm1sHE]Fiddler on the Roof (1971 movie) - 11 Far From The Home I Love.flv - YouTube[/ame]

Following love to Siberia.

I remember listening to Zero Mostel when I was a young boy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahAOU1HZXlc]Zero Mostel " If I Were a Rich Man " - YouTube[/ame]

Zero Mostel was the better Tevye, but he wasn't able to dar in the movie because he was still performing the role on Broadway at the time.

I forgot the name of the guy in the movie. He was very good too, but the original cast recordings are better than the songs recorded for the movie.

The only musical I'm willing to watch.

Ahh the joys of being a father to daughters.

I saw it on Broadway with Zero.

It was good.

Zero added a character of humor to Tevye that was rather missing from the movie. A humor of life and how the vagaries of life are complicated. No matter how many lemons are thrown at you, add sugar, make lemonade and rejoice a bit.

The movie never contained that focus and I didn't enjoy the movie nearly as much for that reason. Still, the movie was more dramatic in its context and it was indeed a dramatic time.

That being said, humor is even more necessary at those times.

...I'm watching it on PBA30 right now. (see post time stamp)...

It is exceptionally entertaining and a very well-done rendition of a great play. I remember it being performed by a local theater group in my home town many years ago. The benefits of cinematography and editing are apparent. I'm not sure where this was filmed, but the images of what is supposed to be the desolate flats of Russia are quite realistic.

This film (made in 1971) is reminding me of Dr. Zhivago...and ranks closely to it regarding quality. That period in Russia must have been extremely difficult for the commoners to survive. To think that the arrival of a sewing machine could excite an entire village to such revelry is unfathomable to me.

The first color TVs were a big deal in my neighborhood when I was a kid. :)

I enjoyed Zero doing, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to The Forum.
Also had an old fav of mine Buster Keaton.

I'm not sure where this was filmed, but the images of what is supposed to be the desolate flats of Russia are quite realistic.

It was filmed in Croatia, part of Yugoslavia at the time, and it was very authentic. I consider the movie to be a masterpiece, in large part due to the great score. Besides the songs mentioned already are The Bottle Dance; the fiddler's instrumental Prologue: Sunrise, Sunset (best wedding song ever); Tevye's Dream; Tradition; To Life; and the crushingly melancholy Anatevka.

That one play/movie has probably done more to garner support and understanding for Jews and Israel than anything since the Holocaust. Well, there's the Israeli Air Force as well.

israeli_F-16.jpg

I'm not sure where this was filmed, but the images of what is supposed to be the desolate flats of Russia are quite realistic.

It was filmed in Croatia, part of Yugoslavia at the time, and it was very authentic. I consider the movie to be a masterpiece, in large part due to the great score. Besides the songs mentioned already are The Bottle Dance; the fiddler's instrumental Prologue: Sunrise, Sunset (best wedding song ever); Tevye's Dream; Tradition; To Life; and the crushingly melancholy Anatevka.

That one play/movie has probably done more to garner support and understanding for Jews and Israel than anything since the Holocaust. Well, there's the Israeli Air Force as well.

israeli_F-16.jpg
Yes...and the Israeli Air Force has an interesting history...being initiated with the help of just a few American fighter pilots flying German airplanes...devastating the Egyptian army just 20 miles from Tel Aviv in 1949...a wonderful story of the tenacity and the will to win exhibited by a fledgling nation born in the midst of hate filled enemies.

Kudos to the Israeli Air Force!:clap2:

Forum List

Back