Finally! A Privately Owned Express Rail Miami to Orlando

depotoo

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2012
All Aboard Florida

This is awesome. So much better than the billions this would have cost the state. Totally privately owned express rail service from Miami to Orlando, with stops in between.

And what a boost to the economy it will be!

ECONOMIC IMPACT
A boost of $500M/year in the State’s production of goods and services over the first five years. Ongoing impact of $150M/year after that$200M in tax revenues for state and local governments through 2021. Thousands of direct jobs created during construction and implementation.
ENVIRONMENTALLY SENSITIVE
Three million cars taken off the road each year. Significant reduction in greenhouse gas emissions and fuel consumption. Leveraging the existing corridor means minimal impact to natural resources. Environmental Assessment for Miami to West Palm Beach segment received Finding of No Significant Impact (January 2013)

Last edited:
BUILDING ON A LEGACY
Setting a new standard in passenger rail. Leveraging 100-year-old infrastructure backbone built by Henry Flagler All Aboard Florida marks the beginning of a new era in Florida’s rich rail history. First privately owned, operated and maintained passenger rail system in the U.S. Success through public-private partnership

Last edited:
Can't believe no one finds this to be great news like I do. Private enterprise at its best!
The estimated cost to tax payers, if we had gone with the the super rail, all tax payer money-federal and state, would have been $5.3 billion.

How is it an express if it makes stops and takes as long to get from Miami to Orlando as your car does.

As for not costing the state billions, you aren't too bright.

All Aboard Florida already has applied for $1.6 billion in federal loans, and plans to rent space at a new terminal at the Orlando International Airport for which state lawmakers recently appropriated $213 million.

That’s just the beginning. According to the Scripps/Tribune Capitol Bureau, the company also wants the state to pay $44 million to connect its lines with Tri-Rail, the daily commuter link serving South Florida.

All Aboard a train-wreck for Florida taxpayers | StAugustine.com

It takes around 4 1/2- 5 hours from Miami to Orlando by car. As for your other? The key words are loan, which means it will be paid back, and rent, meaning they will be paying for the space. The other? Will look into it. Still much less than the billions it would have cost us.
How is it an express if it makes stops and takes as long to get from Miami to Orlando as your car does.

All Aboard Florida already has applied for $1.6 billion in federal loans, and plans to rent space at a new terminal at the Orlando International Airport for which state lawmakers recently appropriated $213 million.

That’s just the beginning. According to the Scripps/Tribune Capitol Bureau, the company also wants the state to pay $44 million to connect its lines with Tri-Rail, the daily commuter link serving South Florida.

It takes around 4 1/2- 5 hours from Miami to Orlando by car. As for your other? The key words are loan, which means it will be paid back, and rent, meaning they will be paying for the space. The other? Will look into it. Still much less than the billions it would have cost us.

Mapquest, Orlando Airport to Miami Airport: FL-91 S 225.73 miles
3 hrs 24 mins

So, the "express" train shaves off 24 minutes AND you must get transportation to and from the airport.

State lawmakers are using $213 to build a terminal that the train can "rent". Why aren't the train people building it? They want the state to pay 44 million to connect its lines with Tri-Rail. Why aren't they paying it? 1.6 billion in federal "loans" LMAO.

Transportation Secretary Ananth Prasad penned a letter to All Aboard Florida restating the state’s commitment*not*to invest state funding in the project. We welcome these clarifications and the opportunity to continue setting the record straight, as many followers of the project, including the media, characterize All Aboard Florida as a public project that is requesting state dollars. To reiterate, this is a privately-funded project.“All Aboard Florida informed the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) and the South Florida Regional Transportation Authority (SFRTA) that the incremental cost required to allow for future commuter rail service into its Miami station would be $44 million. All Aboard Florida sent FDOT a breakdown of the $44 million so it could be independently reviewed.* Therefore, SFRTA’s ability to secure those funds will dictate whether or not its operations can be incorporated into All Aboard Florida’s downtown Miami station,” said P. Michael Reininger, President and Chief Development Officer of All Aboard Florida.
That $44 million is if Tri-rail decides to use all aboard Florida's new station in Miami.

You obviously have never driven in Miami and don't know how long it takes to get out of there. My hubby drives from Miami to West Palm almost daily- it takes from 2-3 hours, depending on how bad the traffic is. To get to Orlando from West Palm is another 2 hours.

3 hrs 24 mins

So, the "express" train shaves off 24 minutes AND you must get transportation to and from the airport.

State lawmakers are using $213 to build a terminal that the train can "rent". Why aren't the train people building it? They want the state to pay 44 million to connect its lines with Tri-Rail. Why aren't they paying it? 1.6 billion in federal "loans" LMAO.

So you have a problem with companies securing loans with the government? Never seen you complain about grants given to companies. At least this will be repaid. So far as why the state is building it, maybe they prefer it that way, for whatever reason-at least they will receive rent for the use of it. I bet it will be used for Amtrak and tri-rail as well.
What I see here is you are wanting us taxpayers to pick up the full tab for another rail that would costs us all $billions. Sorry, I prefer the private route. My taxes are high enough, thank you very much.

3 hrs 24 mins

Last edited:
Transportation Secretary Ananth Prasad penned a letter to All Aboard Florida restating the state’s commitment*not*to invest state funding in the project. We welcome these clarifications and the opportunity to continue setting the record straight, as many followers of the project, including the media, characterize All Aboard Florida as a public project that is requesting state dollars. To reiterate, this is a privately-funded project.“All Aboard Florida informed the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) and the South Florida Regional Transportation Authority (SFRTA) that the incremental cost required to allow for future commuter rail service into its Miami station would be $44 million. All Aboard Florida sent FDOT a breakdown of the $44 million so it could be independently reviewed.* Therefore, SFRTA’s ability to secure those funds will dictate whether or not its operations can be incorporated into All Aboard Florida’s downtown Miami station,” said P. Michael Reininger, President and Chief Development Officer of All Aboard Florida.
That $44 million is if Tri-rail decides to use all aboard Florida's new station in Miami.

You obviously have never driven in Miami and don't know how long it takes to get out of there. My hubby drives from Miami to West Palm almost daily- it takes from 2-3 hours, depending on how bad the traffic is. To get to Orlando from West Palm is another 2 hours.

3 hrs 24 mins

GMAFB. I've driven it plenty of times. And mapquest certainly proves you the fool.

So you have a problem with companies securing loans with the government? Never seen you complain about grants given to companies. At least this will bemrepaid. So far as why the state is building it, maybe they prefer it that way, for whstever reason-at least they will receive rent for the use of it. I bet it will be used for Amtrak and tri-rail as well.
What I see here is you are wanting us taxpayers to pick up the full tab for another rail that would costs us all $billions. Sorry, I prefer the private route. My taxes are high enough, thank you very much.

3 hrs 24 mins

It won't be repaid. It's a waste of money. Ridership on a train that is 24 minutes shorter between airports is going to be nil. Quicker to fly. More comfortable to drive.

Five years after it is launched it will be out of business and we'll be stuck holding the bag. Thank you Governor Toad Scott.

btw, who is paying for the rail road tracks?

hahahahahaha

My hubby drives from Miami to West Palm almost daily- it takes from 2-3 hours, depending on how bad the traffic is. To get to Orlando from West Palm is another 2 hours.

Methinks hubby is making a few 'stops' along the way. :eusa_shhh:
He must. I can drive that in 1 1/2 easily.

Just for the fun of it I plotted in driving from Miami Airport (which is where the train is going to leave from) to Disney, figuring that would be the route most people would take the train for...3 hours 29 minutes.

The train would take three hours from Miami Airport to Orlando Airport and then a car ride to Disney would take another 21 minutes. So you'd "save" a whopping 8 minutes using the train. Except for all the time wasted driving to MIA, getting a taxi or renting a car in Orlando.

Damn, like I didn't need another reason to vote against our toad governor this year.

My hubby drives from Miami to West Palm almost daily- it takes from 2-3 hours, depending on how bad the traffic is. To get to Orlando from West Palm is another 2 hours.

Actually no, my son that lives in north Miami? Takes him just at 2 hours if traffic is good, and that bypasses the worst of the traffic. Now if you want to talk about in the middle of the night? It might take less time. Or if you want to drive 75+ once you make it to the highway, and hope there isn't an accident on the turnpike or 95. We live in north central Palm Beach county and just to get to FLL it takes an hour 20 to an hour and a half.

I do not believe that rail is viable in Florida unless it is an AutoTrain. People do not want the hassle and expense of renting cars.
Or a bullet train. This "private" one only goes 80 mph. The original one that the feds were going to pay for went 186 mph.

Actually no, my son that lives in north Miami? Takes him just at 2 hours if traffic is good, and that bypasses the worst of the traffic. Now if you want to talk about in the middle of the night? It might take less time. Or if you want to drive 75+ once you make it to the highway, and hope there isn't an accident on the turnpike or 95. We live in north central Palm Beach county and just to get to FLL it takes an hour 20 to an hour and a half.
North Miami to Juno Beach. 1 hour, 21 minutes.

Forum List

Back