Finally, "The Little Mermaid", who is now black... Is in theaters!

This will piss off all the racist on here...

1685218730080.png

Am I the only one that thinks clutching your pearls over the ethnicity of a Mermaid..Ye Olde mythical critter...is just a bit absurd?

reminds me the uproar of dr. suess............

& some m&m.

wasn't there a freak out over mr potato head too?

god damn...
Is this 'woke' or just smart marketing? Both?

money is always in the equation.

I'd prefer an Asian mermaid...but Asians are punished for their success...these days~

well, they aren't white.

so ... ya.

The Little Mermaid is now portrayed by an African-American actress and with the movie the best! Diversity is wonderful and people might even prefer an African American actress in this role.

The mantra "Go woke go broke" well be challenged here, because if this movie makes a lot of money then it is not always true that woke goes broke.

Well you go watch it or take your kids to watch it?

I can't wait for Joe Izusu to play Kunta Kinte in Roots!

reminds me the uproar of dr. suess............

& some m&m.

wasn't there a freak out over mr potato head too?

god damn...

money is always in the equation.

well, they aren't white.

so ... ya.
Innerestin'....my take is that, these days, they are being punished because they are taken as white..or white collaborators?

In my mind you're an idiot.
Awwww
Is ums upset the big bad Dado calls him out for ums obvious wacism?
That's OK
Have a cup of warm milk and a cookie.
Ums will feel alllllll better.

I would have suggested hot chocolate but with it being brown and all, well, you know.

You are talking about fiction compared to a real life story. Idiot.
Did you really think that Kunta Kinte was real? He's as real as the little mermaid.
Kunta Kinte is a fictional African slave taken to 18th-century America in the novel and adapted TV series Roots.

Based on the character and his experience, Kunta Kinte is also used as a derogatory name for an African person who has recently immigrated to a new place. Kunta Kinte is also a meme used to variously comment on African-American culture.

I was hoping it would be played by a midget with the lower half of a crustacean.

Nah.

They'll dislike it because The Little Mermaid didn't need to be retold, and certainly not for the benefit of wokeism. Remakes like this that turn cartoon movies into movies with real actors are always terrible as well. This movie is going to be a hot pile of trash.

This will be like when feminists blamed bad ratings for that Ghostbusters remake on sexism, when in reality the movie just sucked like hell.
Are you seriously being a judge about whether the little mermaid needed to be retold or not? Haha, do you hold the original Alda red or something?? Did you throw a fit when Robin Williams played Pan?

And that is still a far cry from the break-even point.

Most are estimating that the total budget for the movie is in excess of $500 million. And almost nobody is expecting it to reach that amount before it leaves the theaters.

In the modern era, movies only stay in the theaters for about 4 weeks. And have on average a 7-10%+ drop in following weeks. Just simple math shows that once again they will likely lose money on that movie. Especially as D+ has been sucking away from the old model of recouping via video sales.

Are you seriously being a judge about whether the little mermaid needed to be retold or not?

The box-office is showing us that it does not.

The history of Disney remakes has really not been all that good. The early ones did alright because most were low budget affairs and long after the original. The Jungle Book in 1994 did good, as it was a first. And when they spaced them at 5-10 year intervals they continued to keep the interest of the audience. But they have now pumped out 8 of them in the past 5 years, and the audience is sick of them. Much as the first of their 3D remakes did good (The Lion King 2011), but each one after made less and less until they called it quits after Monsters Inc 3D flopped.

Their remakes used to do good, but they have so over-saturated the market that the audience is tired of them.

Forum List

Back