Finally the US is #2 in the World

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
How Mexico got so fat | GlobalPost

Even as nearly half its people are poor and as officials launch a national anti-hunger campaign, Mexico by some accounts recently has replaced the United States as the chubbiest of the globe's larger countries.

Diabetes and cardiovascular ills spike, plus sizes cram clothing racks and Mexicans keep eating, eating, eating. While cutting across class lines, the crisis disproportionately hits the poor and the young, malnourishment and obesity stalking them in tandem.

“The same people who are malnourished are the ones who are becoming obese,” said physician Abelardo Avila with Mexico's National Nutrition Institute. “In the poor classes we have obese parents and malnourished children. The worst thing is the children are becoming programmed for obesity. It's a very serious epidemic.”

Yay...but, we're still number two (no pun intended)

America's Obesity and Diabetes problems started in about 1981 when High Fructose Corn Syrup and Aspartame were certified for human consumption. GMO crops don't help either.

Your brain signals that it's hungry by giving you hunger pangs and so you eat. If you don't eat nutritious food and you just eat empty calories, your brain will continue to signal your stomach to be hungry and you will eat until you consume something nutritious. Which in America, might be never.

Congratulations, Mexico!!!

28171232.jpg

Maybe it's just ignorance. Some people won't touch a piece of fresh fruit or vegetable and looks like they teach their horrible habits to their children. Used to be that moms made their children eat all their veggies or no sweets. I don't think that rule is as prevalent today. Of course, that was back in the day when parents actually took time to prepare a decent meal. these days, people buy too much processed food because they are too lazy to buy fresh meats, fruits and veggies and actually spend time cooking. They want to pop something in the microwave and be done. Sad.

Geez, am I old fashioned? I still have a garden every year. I can veggies and fruits, even make my own jam. I know how to buy raw meat and cook it up. I hate packaged food intended for the microwave and really can't stand any TV dinners or other frozen foods that you just heat up. Yuck!!

I always wonder why people don't do something when they get to a point where they realize they are getting big. And people hate diets because they take too long. We've become a society who wants everything RIGHT fucking NOW and preferably have someone else pay for it. I guess all the remittances sent back to Mexico by illegals have allowed them to buy all the processed food, too.

Of course, that was back in the day when parents actually took time to prepare a decent meal. these days, people buy too much processed food because they are too lazy to buy fresh meats, fruits and veggies and actually spend time cooking. They want to pop something in the microwave and be done. Sad.

Geez, am I old fashioned? I still have a garden every year. I can veggies and fruits, even make my own jam. I know how to buy raw meat and cook it up. I hate packaged food intended for the microwave and really can't stand any TV dinners or other frozen foods that you just heat up.

I think the "it takes too much time" excuse is a cop out. You can have something nutritious on the table in the time a takes to get a pizza delivered. The problem is that people are so hooked on pre-made stuff, they've actually convinced themselves it tastes better than fresh. That's REALLY sad.

Of course, that was back in the day when parents actually took time to prepare a decent meal. these days, people buy too much processed food because they are too lazy to buy fresh meats, fruits and veggies and actually spend time cooking. They want to pop something in the microwave and be done. Sad.

Geez, am I old fashioned? I still have a garden every year. I can veggies and fruits, even make my own jam. I know how to buy raw meat and cook it up. I hate packaged food intended for the microwave and really can't stand any TV dinners or other frozen foods that you just heat up.

I think the "it takes too much time" excuse is a cop out. You can have something nutritious on the table in the time a takes to get a pizza delivered. The problem is that people are so hooked on pre-made stuff, they've actually convinced themselves it tastes better than fresh. That's REALLY sad.

Well, they'd have to take time to learn about cooking and find recipes. Too much trouble, I guess. Sure, they could eat raw veggies and fruits and still be better off than munching on heat and serve minced chicken nuggets or whatever. If people spent more time reading labels and understanding more, they'd lose their appetite for the quick food.

People are fatter than they ever were.

I doubt they're eating that much more.

I think its the crap in the food that is making people lardos.

I find this especially disheartening when I see that MOST kids are now fat.

As they are exporting people to the US, we are exporting fastfood chains. Where ever Mcdonalds and other mega chains go fatness follows. I worked in England about 6 years ago and the chains were just starting to get to the smaller towns and villages. Look for England to be on that list pretty soon.

Come on people if we all work hard we can be number one again!! We can put it up with our # 1 in the world for prisoners per capita. We're screwed in allmost every other category: social mobility, healthcare, .........

Forum List

Back