"Fingerprint" of Greenland ice melt seen in satellite sea level data

If I convert solar radiation into electricity, can I still heat the planet with it?
If you are replacing fossil fuels with solar it will cause an incremental cooling because… Waste heat generated from electricity use is independent of the generating source. So replacing fossil fuels with solar power doesn’t change the amount of waste heat from electricity usage. But solar does produce an incremental cooling effect at the solar farm because photons - which would have otherwise produced heat - was converted into electricity instead.

If you are replacing fossil fuels with solar it will cause an incremental cooling because… Waste heat generated from electricity use is independent of the generating source. So replacing fossil fuels with solar power doesn’t change the amount of waste heat from electricity usage. But solar does produce an incremental cooling effect at the solar farm because photons - which would have otherwise produced heat - was converted into electricity instead.

Thanks for avoiding my question.

If you are replacing fossil fuels with solar it will cause an incremental cooling because…

If only that were your original claim.

Instead of the laughable...."Any solar radiation that is converted into electricity is solar radiation that will not heat the surface of the planet. It's a material balance"

Thanks for avoiding my question.

If you are replacing fossil fuels with solar it will cause an incremental cooling because…

If only that were your original claim.

Instead of the laughable...."Any solar radiation that is converted into electricity is solar radiation that will not heat the surface of the planet. It's a material balance"
No avoidance whatsoever. Replacing fossil fuels with solar will cause an incremental cooling because… Waste heat generated from electricity use is independent of the generating source. So replacing fossil fuels with solar power doesn’t change the amount of waste heat from electricity usage. But solar does produce an incremental cooling effect at the solar farm because photons - which would have otherwise produced heat - was converted into electricity instead.

No avoidance whatsoever. Replacing fossil fuels with solar will cause an incremental cooling because… Waste heat generated from electricity use is independent of the generating source. So replacing fossil fuels with solar power doesn’t change the amount of waste heat from electricity usage. But solar does produce an incremental cooling effect at the solar farm because photons - which would have otherwise produced heat - was converted into electricity instead.

No avoidance whatsoever.

Really?

If I convert solar radiation into electricity, can I still heat the planet with it?

No avoidance whatsoever.

Really?

No more or less than any other source but only solar causes an incremental cooling effect because photons which would have otherwise produced heat are converted into electricity instead.

No more or less than any other source but only solar causes an incremental cooling effect because photons which would have otherwise produced heat are converted into electricity instead.

No more or less than any other source

So that's a yes.

Waste heat from electricity usage is the same regardless of the generating technology but only the generating technology of solar converts photons into electricity.

Any solar radiation that is converted into electricity is solar radiation that will still heat the surface of the planet.

Toddsterpatriot

You said, “Any solar radiation that is converted into electricity is solar radiation that will still heat the surface of the planet.” Right? That is what you said, right?

So explain how solar radiation that is converted into electricity heats the surface of the planet.

Billy_Bob , am I seeing this correctly? Didn’t Todd say that? Shouldn’t Todd be able to explain how that happens?

Toddsterpatriot

You said, “Any solar radiation that is converted into electricity is solar radiation that will still heat the surface of the planet.” Right? That is what you said, right?

So explain how solar radiation that is converted into electricity heats the surface of the planet.

Billy_Bob , am I seeing this correctly? Didn’t Todd say that? Shouldn’t Todd be able to explain how that happens?

Waste heat from electricity usage is the same regardless of the generating technology

Forgetful? Have you talked to your doctor?

Toddsterpatriot

Energy used in one process will not go to another process without loss. IF the energy is absorbed by the panel, it will not be absorbed by the surface.

Energy used in one process will not go to another process without loss. IF the energy is absorbed by the panel, it will not be absorbed by the surface.

Energy used in one process will not go to another process without loss.

What if I use my toaster?

IF the energy is absorbed by the panel, it will not be absorbed by the surface.

What if the surface has an albedo of 0.4 and the panel has an albedo of 0.05?

Energy used in one process will not go to another process without loss.

What if I use my toaster?

IF the energy is absorbed by the panel, it will not be absorbed by the surface.

What if the surface has an albedo of 0.4 and the panel has an albedo of 0.05?
Tell me Todd... IF the bread is an inch away some of that energy is lost as heat. If the bread is on the element it burns. Bad analogy on your part.

As to albedo? if it is sitting on the element, it makes no difference. IF it's an inch away there will be slightly less heat loss to the air.

You really should choose your analogies better...

Tell me Todd... IF the bread is an inch away some of that energy is lost as heat. If the bread is on the element it burns. Bad analogy on your part.

As to albedo? if it is sitting on the element, it makes no difference. IF it's an inch away there will be slightly less heat loss to the air.

You really should choose your analogies better...

Tell me Todd... IF the bread is an inch away some of that energy is lost as heat.

Lost as heat? Heating the planet? Weird.

As to albedo? if it is sitting on the element, it makes no difference.

What is sitting on the element?

If sunlight hits sand (0.4 albedo) versus solar panel (0.05 albedo), which results in a warmer planet?

Forum List

Back