Firearms registration would be unconstitutional and virtually impossible in the US

I bought my Smith&Wesson MP shield 40 cal from a police officer cash. That is it and that is legal. I live in Indiana. It is not a legal requirement to register firearms in Indiana. Just a side note, Ayoob literally wrote the book on use of deadly force and I think anyone who carries a firearm should read it. It is short and paperback from Amazon. There is another author from about the same time...I will look it up his name slips my mind right now. first cup of coffee.

Really? So no one has never had to register a firearm in the US is what you are claiming?

Only fully-automatic firearms, rifles and shotguns that have an overall length under 26 inches, rifles with a barrel under 16 inches, shotguns with a barrel under 18 inches, and firearm sound suppressors.

I bought my Smith&Wesson MP shield 40 cal from a police officer cash. That is it and that is legal. I live in Indiana. It is not a legal requirement to register firearms in Indiana. Just a side note, Ayoob literally wrote the book on use of deadly force and I think anyone who carries a firearm should read it. It is short and paperback from Amazon. There is another author from about the same time...I will look it up his name slips my mind right now. first cup of coffee.

Jeff Cooper?

The question is…..Is gun registration Constitutional?
In the context of “Well Regulated Militias” it is

In the 1780s, well regulated militias had registration of guns

Untrue. Firearms of that time period weren't even serialized. Serial numbers didn't appear on US arsenal-manufactured weapons until 1865, and weren't required on civilian weapons until the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Last edited:
Untrue. Firearms of that time period weren't even serialized. Serial numbers didn't even become required until the Gun Control Act of 1968.
:slap:
Local militias needed to know what firearm you had to support the well regulated militia. A Militia needed to know what firepower you were bringing to the fight and what munitions they needed to stock.

You did need to register with your local militia and report what type of weapon you had

Guess what?
Nobody ran around confiscating your gun

:slap:
Local militias needed to know what firearm you had to support the well regulated militia. A Militia needed to know what firepower you were bringing to the fight and what munitions they needed to stock.

You did need to register with your local militia and report what type of weapon you had

Guess what?
Nobody ran around confiscating your gun
Winner.
Link below is just for the historical reference of registering militia weapons.

Forum List

Back