Fireworks Scrapped at some Military Bases???

I hate to be the grump on this thread, but I don't think the taxpayer should be funding fireworks on military bases under any circumstances. I have no problem with auxiliaries having fund raisers or otherwise finding ways to privately fund such shows. Also the only way local taxes should be used for local displays if the people vote to use them that way; otherwise it should be via private sponsors and donations.

I don't have any problem with the wife and kids or others tagging along with the President when Air Force One is going to be flying anyway. But we pay the President well enough that he can pay for his family and friends' vacation unless they have some legitimate public furnction on the trip.

It is time to stop thinking of government as an unlimited cash cow and to demand that honest and diligent stewardship be considered and utilized in every dime spent. The people work damn hard for the money they provide in taxes, and they are entitled to expect full value for for every penny.

Having said that, I hasten to add that I am a passionate supporters of our troops and they are the absolute last people in government who should be asked to sacrifice ahead of everybody else in the interest of pretend austerity.

Last edited:
No idea..... :)

But a Christian would never cover a cross during a speech because it might "offend" someone.
He was raised muslim.....they don't convert to Christianity easily.
He praises Islam in speeches, then says America wasn't founded on Christianity (which is a lie).
He agrees (now) that gays/lesbians should be able to marry.
He's pro abortion.

To just name a few.....

I know many Christians that feel gay and lesbians should be allowed to marry. From your posts, I can easily assume they are more Christian than you are.

Or maybe I'm more Christian than they are? Of course you would assume they are since they think as you do.

I hate to be the grump on this thread, but I don't think the taxpayer should be funding fireworks on military bases under any circumstances. I have no problem with auxiliaries having fund raisers or otherwise finding ways to privately fund such shows. Also the only way local taxes should be used for local displays if the people vote to use them that way; otherwise it should be via private sponsors and donations.

I don't have any problem with the wife and kids or others tagging along with the President when Air Force One is going to be flying anyway. But we pay the President well enough that he can pay for his family and friends' vacation unless they have some legitimate public furnction on the trip.

It is time to stop thinking of government as an unlimited cash cow and to demand that honest and diligent stewardship be considered and utilized in every dime spent. The people work damn hard for the money they provide in taxes, and they are entitled to expect full value for for every penny.

Having said that, I hasten to add that I am a passionate supporters of our troops and they are the absolute last people in government who should be asked to sacrifice ahead of everybody else in the interest of pretend austerity.

Well, myself...I don't mind some of my tax money going to the fireworks on military bases. But what pisses me off so much is they take a piece of enjoyment away from the military families, but say nothing about us paying for the whole Obama clan (plus some) to take lavish trips. With the left, if Obama wants it, he should have it......if the military want something, screw them. And you're right....if taxpayers were only paying for Obama's trip (and maybe his wifes) there wouldn't be such an uproar. We should NOT have to pay for everyone else that does not need to be there.

But a Christian would never cover a cross during a speech because it might "offend" someone.
He praises Islam in speeches, then says America wasn't founded on Christianity (which is a lie).
He's pro abortion.

To just name a few.....

I know many Christians that feel gay and lesbians should be allowed to marry. From your posts, I can easily assume they are more Christian than you are.

Or maybe I'm more Christian than they are? Of course you would assume they are since they think as you do.

The moment you said Obama wasn't a Christian they had you beat. Even more so when you stated he wasn't because he is for equal rights for same sex couples.

The moment you said Obama wasn't a Christian they had you beat. Even more so when you stated he wasn't because he is for equal rights for same sex couples.

I don't expect you to agree with me....
I think same sex couples should have all the same equal rights as other married couples....just don't call it a marriage. Simple. But not good enough for them.

Well, myself...I don't mind some of my tax money going to the fireworks on military bases. But what pisses me off so much is they take a piece of enjoyment away from the military families, but say nothing about us paying for the whole Obama clan (plus some) to take lavish trips. With the left, if Obama wants it, he should have it......if the military want something, screw them. And you're right....if taxpayers were only paying for Obama's trip (and maybe his wifes) there wouldn't be such an uproar. We should NOT have to pay for everyone else that does not need to be there.

I would certainly prefer to buy fireworks for the enjoyment of the troops than champagne and caviar for the IRS or luxurious vacations at Martha's Vineyard for the First Family. And of course I wouldn't grumble a lot about the fireworks, most especailly if the community is invited to share in the festivities.

But the larger principle comes down to one of stewardship and giving license to government to take our money for any purpose and waste it on whatever. And that should not be legal to do anywhere, including the military bases.

He's pro abortion.

To just name a few.....

Muslims don't believe in gay marriage and they execute homosexuals on site, if Obama were a Muslim wouldn't he be more strict on that issue?

He's pro abortion.

To just name a few.....

Those are superficial Christianity

REAL Christians want to help those who are suffering and don't worry about fireworks

Bush is in Africa as we speak

Who do you think pays for that?

I would certainly prefer to buy fireworks for the enjoyment of the troops than champagne and caviar for the IRS or luxurious vacations at Martha's Vineyard for the First Family. And of course I wouldn't grumble a lot about the fireworks, most especially if the community is invited to share in the festivities.

But the larger principle comes down to one of stewardship and giving license to government to take our money for any purpose and waste it on whatever. And that should not be legal to do anywhere, including the military bases.

usually I agree with you fox, but this one I have to disagree..I don't mind my tax dollars going for this, the military families go through as much as our military men and women do..and if having fireworks would give them a small amount of joy then i'm all for it, especially on the Fourth of July

I would certainly prefer to buy fireworks for the enjoyment of the troops than champagne and caviar for the IRS or luxurious vacations at Martha's Vineyard for the First Family. And of course I wouldn't grumble a lot about the fireworks, most especially if the community is invited to share in the festivities.

usually I agree with you fox, but this one I have to disagree..I don't mind my tax dollars going for this, the military families go through as much as our military men and women do..and if having fireworks would give them a small amount of joy then i'm all for it, especially on the Fourth of July

It's the 4th of July, I am sure they can find a firework show to attend.

But can you justify one group of government employees receiving such a privilege and deny other government employees the ability to use the people's money for a little joy for themselves? It is not at all that I want to deny our troops anything. I'm one of those people who welcome returning warriors home at the airport and who have worked in auxiliary organizations to help the troops any way that I can as well as supporting Wounded Warriors and other such groups.

It is the fundamental principle involved. There will always be the opportunists who will justify a taxpayer funded fireworks show for the troops as justification for those deplorable GSA parties, IRS excesses, and lavish vacations for the First Family et al. The policy should remain the same for all.

But can you justify one group of government employees receiving such a privilege and deny other government employees the ability to use the people's money for a little joy for themselves? It is not at all that I want to deny our troops anything. I'm one of those people who welcome returning warriors home at the airport and who have worked in auxiliary organizations to help the troops any way that I can as well as supporting Wounded Warriors and other such groups.

It is the fundamental principle involved. There will always be the opportunists who will justify a taxpayer funded fireworks show for the troops as justification for those deplorable GSA parties, IRS excesses, and lavish vacations for the First Family et al. The policy should remain the same for all.

yes I can justify it..they are not just government workers..they are the protectors of our country and give their lives for that..we'll just have to disagree here, happy 4th to you dear..

Just because there are no fireworks doesn't mean there's no celebration. Here we are having bounce houses, a zip line, a few carnival games, vendors selling food, a concert and then a laser light show.

The only thing that's different this year from last is that fireworks has been replaced with a laser light show.

yes I can justify it..they are not just government workers..they are the protectors of our country and give their lives for that..we'll just have to disagree here, happy 4th to you dear..

LOL, and to you too. As I said, this isn't a hill I would choose to stand and fight on because I do so strongly respect and care about our troops. But. . . .gotta stay true to a principle that is so greviously abused. But I'm not disputing that it does suck and looks real bad to fair minded people when the troops are denied and the First Family and other high ranking people in government seem to see no need to economize with anything.

It's the 4th of July, I am sure they can find a firework show to attend.

What if you're stationed in GTMO or Diego Garcia?

Did they have fireworks there to begin with? If so, were they cancelled?

And they had a Fireworks at Gitmo Bay last year. Can you prove they won't this year?
http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=68248

And Diego Garcia? Really? Do they even allow military families to live on Diego Garcia? I don't think so.

Nice try, Warrior.

Forum List

Back