Fireworks Scrapped at some Military Bases???

Fireworks, White House Tours and Blue Angels shows are not. Especially when workers on that base are taking a 20% pay cut. That pay cut is not "important" to conservatives

But yet Obama’s $7 billion plan to power Africa is Ok with you?

An effective power grid is essential to Africas movement from third world status.

Meanwhile, the US power grid is moving towards third world status. It's obselete and can't handle the rise in demand.

For those who understand what "Doing the right thing" means

$7 billion in power grid infrastructure improvements can save millions of lives in cultures like you see in Africa. Refrigeration, medical equipment, communications, water pumps and purification.......all need a dependable supply of electricity

Saving lives of people you don't know is more important than fireworks on the fourth of July

That money will never be used for electricity. The despots that run that continent will ship it off to their overseas bank accounts.

Also, just in case anyone cares, George and Laura Bush joined the Obamas in Africa. Annnnd guess whose paying for them to be there? :)

And who paid for Laura's 7 trips to Africa, along with her safari? ;)

Glad they did go. What a great message it shows, the US sent a President and former President. Very diplomatic.

I hate to be the grump on this thread, but I don't think the taxpayer should be funding fireworks on military bases under any circumstances. I have no problem with auxiliaries having fund raisers or otherwise finding ways to privately fund such shows. Also the only way local taxes should be used for local displays if the people vote to use them that way; otherwise it should be via private sponsors and donations.

I don't have any problem with the wife and kids or others tagging along with the President when Air Force One is going to be flying anyway. But we pay the President well enough that he can pay for his family and friends' vacation unless they have some legitimate public furnction on the trip.

It is time to stop thinking of government as an unlimited cash cow and to demand that honest and diligent stewardship be considered and utilized in every dime spent. The people work damn hard for the money they provide in taxes, and they are entitled to expect full value for for every penny.

Having said that, I hasten to add that I am a passionate supporters of our troops and they are the absolute last people in government who should be asked to sacrifice ahead of everybody else in the interest of pretend austerity.

Well, myself...I don't mind some of my tax money going to the fireworks on military bases. But what pisses me off so much is they take a piece of enjoyment away from the military families, but say nothing about us paying for the whole Obama clan (plus some) to take lavish trips.

Only Obama, his heifer...i mean wife and his 2 kids are allowed to have fun. Everyone else can piss off.

It is not about the Fireworks, It is about doing the right thing and taking care of Americans first.
There has to be priorities especially when cash is tight. The first priority should always be America First.
If and when the US does not have to borrow any money to give out in foreign aid then maybe we should consider it.

Also, just in case anyone cares, George and Laura Bush joined the Obamas in Africa. Annnnd guess whose paying for them to be there? :)

Except for any secret service who went along, I believe it was the Bush Family's own privately funded Institute that is financing that trip unless they are paying for it out of pocket which is quite likely. They are hosting a summit recognizing African first ladies--Michelle Obama accepted an invitation for an appearance at the summit just as President Bush accepted an invitation to join President Obama in laying the wreath. George and Laura spent most of his presidency involved and have worked tirelessly since in hands on projects in Africa, AIDS research and treatment, and other benevolent efforsts.

Except for any secret service who went along, I believe it was the Bush Family's own privately funded Institute that is financing that trip unless they are paying for it out of pocket which is quite likely. They are hosting a summit recognizing African first ladies--Michelle Obama accepted an invitation for an appearance at the summit just as President Bush accepted an invitation to join President Obama in laying the wreath. George and Laura spent most of his presidency involved and have worked tirelessly since in hands on projects in Africa, AIDS research and treatment, and other benevolent efforsts.

Who paid for their trips to Africa while in office?
And what is the difference between the two?

It is not about the Fireworks, It is about doing the right thing and taking care of Americans first.
There has to be priorities especially when cash is tight. The first priority should always be America First.
If and when the US does not have to borrow any money to give out in foreign aid then maybe we should consider it.

I will give up Fireworks to help Africans.

In post 46 you said it WAS about fireworks and that those things were more important than providing humanitarian assistance

Obama is on an official diplomatic mission. We have to pay to protect the Bush's while they are in Africa. Don't you agree the Bish's should have stayed in Texas to save us the money?

Or are you a hypocrite?

In post 46 you said it WAS about fireworks and that those things were more important than providing humanitarian assistance

Ok here is post 46:
"But yet Obama’s $7 billion plan to power Africa is Ok with you?"
Off your meds again?

Obama is on an official diplomatic mission. We have to pay to protect the Bush's while they are in Africa. Don't you agree the Bish's should have stayed in Texas to save us the money?

Or are you a hypocrite?

People forget that they still have secret service protecting them.

I can't imagine they would pay for it themselves when the US government pays for the travel of former presidents and 1st ladies. Especially since they joined the Obamas.

Also, I posted earlier in the thread about how amazing the Bush's have been to Africa. I can see Bush's presidency being known for his tireless efforts in Africa.

I will give up Fireworks to help Africans.

I know what Laura Bush was doing to help Africans when she joined President Bush in those trips and she has been hands on during this last one. She wasn't there just to have fun and look pretty. I know what was accomplished. And the Bush legacy is that millions have been saved in the fight against AIDS and malaria was halved in at least 15 different African nations as well as reduction in violence in many areas. Even some of his most vocal critics have to recognize the remarkable efforts expended there. What are Michelle Obama and the girls doing to help Africans other than an opportunity the Bush's gave her to do so at their summit?

An effective power grid is essential to Africas movement from third world status.

Meanwhile, the US power grid is moving towards third world status. It's obselete and can't handle the rise in demand.

Then let's stop fucking around and fix it

Our power grid is more important than the Afghanistan and Iraq wars

That I can agree with you on...Afghanistan and Iraq waste of American money and lives.

Ok here is post 46:
"But yet Obama’s $7 billion plan to power Africa is Ok with you?"
Off your meds again?

You brought up the issue in a thread about fireworks

Are you really that shallow that you question humanitarian aid so that you can have fireworks?

Forum List

Back