First college football playoff committee releases its first ranking of the season

Bama had way too much speed on defense. Cincy is good when they are playing JV schools. With the big boys? Not so much.
Bama has beaten in same semi final game.
Michigan State 38-0
Washington 24-7
Oklahoma 45-34
Notre Dame 31-14
Clemson 24-6

Are those the big boys you are talking about?

And what? Did I say UC was going win for sure? Did they get blown out? For reference Michigan is getting blown out right now.

If anyone didn't deserve to be in the playoffs it was Michigan. But if it wasn't Michigan then Notre Dame would have been in tonight. They deserve it even less.

Looks like it will be another all SEC Championship game.

If anyone didn't deserve to be in the playoffs it was Michigan. But if it wasn't Michigan then Notre Dame would have been in tonight. They deserve it even less.

Looks like it. I kind of think they should have switched UC and Michigan. might not have made a difference but UC is obviously better than Michigan.

candycorn

What you think you got me because Alabama won? Go back and read the posts, man. You acted like UC was going to get run out of the stadium because they didn't belong in the playoffs with the likes of Alabama. That they couldn't run with the big dogs. All I said was that they could play and deserved a place at the table. They looked as good as UGA did against Alabama.

candycorn

What you think you got me because Alabama won? Go back and read the posts, man. You acted like UC was going to get run out of the stadium because they didn't belong in the playoffs with the likes of Alabama. That they couldn't run with the big dogs. All I said was that they could play and deserved a place at the table. They looked as good as UGA did against Alabama.
Six points…

They will expand the playoffs. But the truth is, the committee gets the two best teams right of the four every year. These semi final games for the most part are not nail biters.

They will expand the playoffs. But the truth is, the committee gets the two best teams right of the four every year. These semi final games for the most part are not nail biters.

I would love to see the playoffs expand. That said, I am seeing a lot of complaining about the rematch for the championship. The two best teams in college football this year will play on January 10th for the championship. Isn't that the way it should be?

I would love to see the playoffs expand. That said, I am seeing a lot of complaining about the rematch for the championship. The two best teams in college football this year will play on January 10th for the championship. Isn't that the way it should be?
Yes.

I say leave it the way it is. There are seasons where you will have one or two teams head and shoulders above the rest and any play off will be mere window dressing. Cincy and Michigan were not in the class of UGA and Bama despite their win/loss record playing lesser talent.

And Cincy held Bama to 27 points. Only LSU and auburn did better.

Miami, Florida, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Georgia, and the rest couldn't hold Bama to less than 30 points.
A testament to Bama in my view. You disagree? Being “held” to four touchdowns is hardly a ringing endorsement of a defense.

Yes.

I say leave it the way it is. There are seasons where you will have one or two teams head and shoulders above the rest and any play off will be mere window dressing. Cincy and Michigan were not in the class of UGA and Bama despite their win/loss record playing lesser talent.

I'd like to see an 8 team playoff. But I am also fine with leaving it at 4.

The SEC is looking a lot better. We've won our last 4 bowl games.
Best college football conference; bar none.

Its a strange ecosystem where perhaps the thing that would be the inevitable tide that raises all boats is ignored and they continue to stockpile the best teams, coaches, etc...

A quick question, do you have any statistics on how many blue chip recruits leave the SEC region/states for other conferences? I would imagine the number is very low.

I'd like to see an 8 team playoff. But I am also fine with leaving it at 4.
I'd say no more than 8. In the ecosystem it would make good sense, I think.

It would "build in" some importance to (at least some of) the heritage bowl games and keep them relevant. Like the Fiesta Bowl was on today...Buckeyes and Utah. Not much buzz. Put some stakes on that game and you get some interest.

Round 1
Cotton Bowl
Rose Bowl
Orange Bowl
Sugar Bowl

Round 2
Fiesta Bowl
Peach Bowl

Championship Game
Rotates like the Super Bowl.

It makes sense.... I'm not sure there are 8 teams every year that you can look at and say "yep...national title team there." Of course, as you know, that is why they play the games...LOL.

I'd say no more than 8. In the ecosystem it would make good sense, I think.

It would "build in" some importance to (at least some of) the heritage bowl games and keep them relevant. Like the Fiesta Bowl was on today...Buckeyes and Utah. Not much buzz. Put some stakes on that game and you get some interest.

Round 1
Cotton Bowl
Rose Bowl
Orange Bowl
Sugar Bowl

Round 2
Fiesta Bowl
Peach Bowl

Championship Game
Rotates like the Super Bowl.

It makes sense.... I'm not sure there are 8 teams every year that you can look at and say "yep...national title team there." Of course, as you know, that is why they play the games...LOL.

The only problem with that is that it means fewer teams get to play in a bowl.

You have 7 bowls listed. 8 teams in the playoff. Normally 7 bowls mean 14 teams.

The only problem with that is that it means fewer teams get to play in a bowl.

You have 7 bowls listed. 8 teams in the playoff. Normally 7 bowls mean 14 teams.

Well, I figured the 8 play off teams would play each other in the Orange, Cotton, Sugar, Rose Bowl the Saturday/Sunday before Christmas.... They would be in a bracket like the NCAA basketball teams do... The four winners then play each other on or around New Year's Day in the Peach and Fiesta Bowls.... Leaving you with 2 teams to play in the championship game which would rotate to non-bowl locations or whatever (Indy, Minneapolis, SoFi, etc...).

It would keep the heritage bowls relevant--I'm including Peach in that list, give the winning teams something for their trophy case, and push the championship game onto a platform of their own.

Of course I thoroughly enjoyed watching Bama win the Cotton Bowl with some old school, smash mouth football.

And I enjoyed watching Georgia abuse Harbaugh and the Wolverines.

But seeing Notre Dame blow a 28-7 lead to lose their game might be the highlight of the bowl season so far.

I get that Georgia wants revenge. I get that Georgia completely dismantled Michigan. I get that the Bulldogs are due a win against Alabama.

But Alabama is #1 because we beat manhandled Georgia less than a month ago. We beat them by 17 points. And still Alabama is the underdog??

That rat poison will be yummy a second time.

Forum List

Back