First college football playoff committee releases its first ranking of the season

I get that Georgia wants revenge. I get that Georgia completely dismantled Michigan. I get that the Bulldogs are due a win against Alabama.

But Alabama is #1 because we beat manhandled Georgia less than a month ago. We beat them by 17 points. And still Alabama is the underdog??

That rat poison will be yummy a second time.
Arent the odds just based on who's betting on who so that no matter what happens the bet takers make money? In other words if lot of people are betting on Alabama to win they adjust the odds to push more people over to UGA to basically even out the betting. By doing so the people taking the bets cant lose because the winnings they pay out are covered by the bets of the losers and they are just taking the processing fee basically. Correct me if Im wrong on that but that was my understanding of the way odds worked.

I get that Georgia wants revenge. I get that Georgia completely dismantled Michigan. I get that the Bulldogs are due a win against Alabama.

But Alabama is #1 because we beat manhandled Georgia less than a month ago. We beat them by 17 points. And still Alabama is the underdog??

That rat poison will be yummy a second time.

I think the only shot a team has against Alabama--if Bama is on--is big plays. I'd go play action pass on every first down with a 3 receiver set. Try to freeze the MLBs with the play action and hit a speedy receiver who can hopefully break a tackle or two in the secondary. If you try to just line up against Bama and play smash-mouth football, you're crazy. If you try to get to the edge on a sweep or pitch, you're not going to make it with that speed on defense. Go up top and hop for the best.

I don't see Georgia beating Alabama.

I think the only shot a team has against Alabama--if Bama is on--is big plays. I'd go play action pass on every first down with a 3 receiver set. Try to freeze the MLBs with the play action and hit a speedy receiver who can hopefully break a tackle or two in the secondary. If you try to just line up against Bama and play smash-mouth football, you're crazy. If you try to get to the edge on a sweep or pitch, you're not going to make it with that speed on defense. Go up top and hop for the best.

I don't see Georgia beating Alabama.
I didnt see the TAM game what did they do or was it just a bad day?

I didnt see the TAM game what did they do or was it just a bad day?

A&M averaged about 10 yards a pass in their victory. It was one of the higher averages against Alabama this season. Other teams did actually have comparable averages however, like in the case of Mercer, they had TD pass plays of 60 and 22 yards but it was well after Bama had run up like a 30 point lead. Tennessee had TD pass plays for 57 and 75 yards against Bama. Arkansas had 2 TD passes over 30 yards. So I think they are susceptible to to the big play.

If nothing else it may loosen up the defense for a draw play...LOL.

Here are the rankings from the playoff committee:
1) Georgia
2) Alabama
3) Michigan State
4) Oregon

5) Ohio State
6) Cinncinati
7) Michigan
8) Ohlahoma
9) Wake Forest
10) Notre Dame

The teams in Boldface are the ones who would be in the playoffs if they were held today.

Amazing thing about the top 4 teams is that the head coaches of all 4 teams were on the 2015 University of Alabama coaching staff.

Tell me that Coach Nick Saban is not the G.O.A.T.
You never answered me.

1. if saban didn’t go to bama how many less championships would bama have?

If saban has a heart attack and dies will bama ever win another championship?

Its sort of like a great program no matter what.

Now harbaugh took a shitty program and got it to the final 4.

Saban was good at msu but never did that.

You never answered me.

It's an unanswerable question. We have no idea who would have been the coach of Alabama if Saban doesnt take the job. Does Saban stay at LSU or move on to somewhere else? Alabama while great in the past was not good in the decade prior to Saban arriving.

You never answered me.

It would, of course, depend on who Bama hired to replace Mike Shula. But not as many as we do now. Before Saban arrived we were one of those old school blue-bloods living on old glory days.

In the 10 years before Saban arrived, Alabama was not a great program. There were 3 seasons in which we won 10 games. But there were also 4 seasons with losing records, including Mike DuBose taking us to 3-8 in 2000 and 4-7 in 1997.

Michigan, on the otherhand, in the 10 years prior to Harbaugh had only 2 losing seasons. They also had 2 seasons where they went 11-2.

The records for the two teams in the 10 years prior to the arrival of the current coach do not agree with your claim that Bama was a great program and Michigan was a shitty one.

1997 to 2006 Alabama had a W/L record of 67-55.
2005 to 2014 Michigan had a W/L record of 73-53

It took Harbaugh 7 years to get to the playoffs, and didn't get to the championship.
It took Saban 3 years to win a National Championship.\

I think it just seems like Bama was great before Saban, because we have been near the top for so long.

It would, of course, depend on who Bama hired to replace Mike Shula. But not as many as we do now. Before Saban arrived we were one of those old school blue-bloods living on old glory days.

In the 10 years before Saban arrived, Alabama was not a great program. There were 3 seasons in which we won 10 games. But there were also 4 seasons with losing records, including Mike DuBose taking us to 3-8 in 2000 and 4-7 in 1997.

Michigan, on the otherhand, in the 10 years prior to Harbaugh had only 2 losing seasons. They also had 2 seasons where they went 11-2.

The records for the two teams in the 10 years prior to the arrival of the current coach do not agree with your claim that Bama was a great program and Michigan was a shitty one.

1997 to 2006 Alabama had a W/L record of 67-55.
2005 to 2014 Michigan had a W/L record of 73-53

It took Harbaugh 7 years to get to the playoffs, and didn't get to the championship.
It took Saban 3 years to win a National Championship.\

I think it just seems like Bama was great before Saban, because we have been near the top for so long.
The other thing unless Saban just doesn't exist anymore or retires from coaching there is no reason to believe he's any less successful at LSU or wherever he goes. He wasn't going to leave LSU for a lesser school so he would have ended up at a school that had similar recruiting power as Alabama. OSU, USC, UF, UGA type job. So that would have definitely affected the number of NC Alabama would have won without him.

The other thing unless Saban just doesn't exist anymore or retires from coaching there is no reason to believe he's any less successful at LSU or wherever he goes. He wasn't going to leave LSU for a lesser school so he would have ended up at a school that had similar recruiting power as Alabama. OSU, USC, UF, UGA type job. So that would have definitely affected the number of NC Alabama would have won without him.

Coach Saban completely revamped the Alabama football program. And he got the facilities upgraded significantly.

Coach Saban completely revamped the Alabama football program. And he got the facilities upgraded significantly.

Exactly, and Im sure that's part of his process which he would have done at any school/team he coaches if they are not up to the standard he sets forth. He's not successful by accident. haha

Look at any ultra-successful person and the vast vast majority are doing things most people arent doing and things most people arent even willing to do.

It's why CEO's of large companies get paid so much. There are very few people who are able and willing to actually do the job.

Exactly, and Im sure that's part of his process which he would have done at any school/team he coaches if they are not up to the standard he sets forth. He's not successful by accident. haha

Look at any ultra-successful person and the vast vast majority are doing things most people arent doing and things most people arent even willing to do.

It's why CEO's of large companies get paid so much. There are very few people who are able and willing to actually do the job.

He certainly not successful by accident. He has his process, and it works. Just look at his track record at Alabama. Consistently ranked at the top and he loses assistant coaches every year, and has had a LOT of players leave for the NFL after 3 seasons.

I was hoping Ohio would suck when Ervin Myers or whatever his name is left but they’re still great Year after year.

Although they did just lose to Michigan.

He certainly not successful by accident. He has his process, and it works. Just look at his track record at Alabama. Consistently ranked at the top and he loses assistant coaches every year, and has had a LOT of players leave for the NFL after 3 seasons.
The 1997 Michigan Wolverines football team represented the University of Michigan in the 1997 Big Ten Conference football season. In its third year under head coach Lloyd Carr, Michigan compiled a perfect 12–0 record, won the Big Ten Conference championship, defeated Washington State in the 1998 Rose Bowl, and was declared the national champion by the Associated Press. The Wolverines finished second to the Nebraska Cornhuskers in the Coaches Poll, resulting in a split national championship.

So we had to split the national championship. They should have played each other. But I’ll take it. Lol only one in my lifetime

I'll add in that he is also successful facing premium teams that would consistently compete for championships in their conferences if they were playing somewhere other than the SEC.

Forum List

Back