Feb 24, 2014
...No Worse Enemy
Should America have fought in:

WWII
Korea
Vietnam
Iraq
Afghanistan

That's it, yes or no, no wrong answers either way, and feel free to pontificate if you wish to...

WWII: Yes
Korea: No
Vietnam: No
Iraq: No
Afghanistan: Yes

WWII
Korea
Vietnam
Iraq
Afghanistan

That's it, yes or no, no wrong answers either way, and feel free to pontificate if you wish to...

WWII - We were attacked, no choice.
Korea - We were attacked, no choice.
Vietnam - No. Huge clusterfuck.
Iraq- No. Huge clusterfuck.
Afghanistan - Yes with very limited goals. Destroy the camps. Kill Bin Laden. Build a couple of schools and irrigation ditches. Pat the Taliban on the head and remind them we WILL be back if they fuck around again and the next time we won't be so nice.

• Banned
should america have fought in:

Wwii
korea
vietnam
iraq
afghanistan

that's it, yes or no, no wrong answers either way, and feel free to pontificate if you wish to...

wwii - we were attacked, no choice.
Korea - we were attacked, no choice.
Vietnam - no. Huge clusterfuck.
Iraq- no. Huge clusterfuck.
Afghanistan - yes with very limited goals. Destroy the camps. Kill bin laden. Build a couple of schools and irrigation ditches. Pat the taliban on the head and remind them we will be back if they fuck around again and the next time we won't be so nice.
ty...

First two, yes. Though with the "qualification" (-: that a more rigorous For Policy might have avoided the first, and probably would have avoided the second.

The last 3, no. And I was against the first Iraq war, Desert Storm, too. All involved our supplanting 19th or 20th century European colonialism. Though, BushI made it clear his purpose was to enforce the post WWII accords to the Geneva treaty outlawing acquiring territory by military conquest. (He ignored Bibi to the extent he could)

WWII
Korea
Vietnam
Iraq
Afghanistan

WWII - Yes
Korea - Yes, and we should have won it not played to a draw.
Vietnam - No. We should have assisted the Vietnamese doing it themselves. If we were in, we should have won it and left. Limited war is bull.
Iraq - No
Afghanistan - Attacked in retaliation for 9/11? Yes. Invaded and nation built? No.

I'm curious on Korea. First of all, the division of Korea was ... arbitrary. We didn't even know where the 42nd parallel crossed the dam peninsula when we drew the line. But, Stalin had just detonated his own nuke, and we'd pulled out our ground forces. He was convinced the time was right to expand in Asia towards Japan. I don't see how Truman could have sat that out. We shouldn't have been in a position of weakness in the first place, but once NK rolled over the "border....."

I'm curious on Korea. First of all, the division of Korea was ... arbitrary. We didn't even know where the 42nd parallel crossed the dam peninsula when we drew the line. But, Stalin had just detonated his own nuke, and we'd pulled out our ground forces. He was convinced the time was right to expand in Asia towards Japan. I don't see how Truman could have sat that out. We shouldn't have been in a position of weakness in the first place, but once NK rolled over the "border....."

I agree. Had it simply been a civil war I would have voted no, stay out of it. It clearly wasn't and allowing country after country to fall to Communism was clearly a direct threat to us.

My wife is also Korean, she certainly is strongly for the war, just wishes we had won it.

I would have voted for Vietnam for the same reason, but how we fought that was so bad that it ended up being worse than if we had stayed out of it. LBJ should hope there is no hell for all the people he pointlessly got killed.

Last edited:
First three yes.
We owed Korea and Vietnam for allowing the US to use their airfields for gaining access to Russia.
Was Vietnam fought like a war? No.

The benefit of hindsight skews the perspective.
WWII -- Duh
Korea -- South Korea makes better cars than the US
Vietnam -- poor execution and politicization messed that up
Afghanistan -- Duh
Iraq -- poor follow-up execution and democrat politicization compounded by obama snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

WWII: Yes
Korea: No
Vietnam: No
Iraq: No
Afghanistan: Yes

So I am curious....

we should help those children that storm our borders who are seeking a safer life...

But the children in Korea and Vietnam? Let them suffer under communistic control?

Is it the children you care about or is it "the easiest and safest way to feel good about yourself" that is important?

Forum List

Back