🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Fla. Gov. calls for investigation into Student suspension over word Jesus

The class was on symbolism.

The entire point of the exercise was that people would object to it - the point of the exercise is that people would hesitate to step on a piece of paper with Jesus written on it - a symbol with no actual religious meaning - because their mind would associate that symbol with what it represents.

It was actually quite a good lesson plan - and if anything, the whole "scandal" about it proved the professor's point.

Except for the fact he kicked out a student. That means the intent was not to cause consternation at all.

We don't know what went on in that classroom, or why the student was suspended. We only have the student's side of the story.

The professor is a "she", by the way.

It's staggeringly unlikely that the kid was suspended because he fulfilled the point of the lesson. It's much more likely that the student reacted in a way that resulted in his suspension.

There's a rumor going around that he threatened the teacher - supposedly coming from other students in the class. I'm not saying those rumors are true - just that there's more to the story than what you guys are publicizing.

the professor is a he, dear. Deandre Poole.
School of Communication & Multimedia Studies
He is also the the Democratic vice chair for Palm Beach county.
Scott wants answers on FAU ?Jesus?-stomping controversy | Post on Politics

The Koran is a religious symbol. A piece of paper with "Jesus" written on it is not.

Are you the one who gets to decide that?

Huh! And here I thought people got to decide things like that for themselves, and millions think the exercise was an outrage. How were you planning on convincing them that the Jesus paper is not a religious symbol? So far, I'd say they've got you wildly outnumbered.

In fact, I'm beginning to lose faith that you really ARE the person who gets to decide about that sort of thing.

Actually, the religions themselves decide that.

What sect of Christianity consecrates pieces of paper with "Jesus" written on them?

What atheist sect wants to force religious people to act against their principles?

How stupid are you?

Well, first and foremost, Jesus is a huge prophet in Islam so this isn't just anti Christian, this is anti Islam if one wants to really go at this.

Jesus is a biggie. Every time some one wants to slag Jesus, they're slagging Islam too.

Muslims believe that Jesus will return to earth near the Day of Judgment to restore justice and to defeat Masih ad-Dajjal ("the false messiah", also known as the Antichrist)

Jesus in Islam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:eusa_whistle:

And it's not the students side of the story for crying out loud. Read the article. The University has apologized and admitted that this was insensitive.

First of all, my point was that the lesson wasn't "anti-religious", in any way. It was a lesson in the power of symbols, and how our brain reacts to them. This thread is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Does writing Jesus's name on a piece of paper, then stepping on it somehow "hurt" Jesus? Does the piece of paper somehow gain some religious value when Jesus's name is written on it, becoming more than just a piece of paper?

As for the University "apologizing" - I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's a lot more likely that they're "apologizing" for PR reasons than because they actually think anything was wrong.

We only have the student's side of the story in terms of exactly why he was suspended.

I note that you selectively ignored all the posts pointing out that it is NOT just one students claim, the school apologized for the incident, if as you inferred, the Student did something wrong, the school would not have apologized, if as you inferred , the Instructor did not cross a line, the school would not have apologized.

But keep on ignoring the point.

I didn't ignore anything. I addressed the school apologizing in my post - as I've highlighted above.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sB7vD_NHFic]A Message from Dr. Charles Brown, FAU's Senior Vice President for Student Affairs - YouTube[/ame]
the apology to all from FAU

Are you the one who gets to decide that?

Huh! And here I thought people got to decide things like that for themselves, and millions think the exercise was an outrage. How were you planning on convincing them that the Jesus paper is not a religious symbol? So far, I'd say they've got you wildly outnumbered.

In fact, I'm beginning to lose faith that you really ARE the person who gets to decide about that sort of thing.

Actually, the religions themselves decide that.

What sect of Christianity consecrates pieces of paper with "Jesus" written on them?

What atheist sect wants to force religious people to act against their principles?

How stupid are you?

Is not stepping on a piece of paper with Jesus' name on it a tenet of Christianity?

What part of the bible is that from?

Except for the fact he kicked out a student. That means the intent was not to cause consternation at all.

We don't know what went on in that classroom, or why the student was suspended. We only have the student's side of the story.

It's staggeringly unlikely that the kid was suspended because he fulfilled the point of the lesson. It's much more likely that the student reacted in a way that resulted in his suspension.

There's a rumor going around that he threatened the teacher - supposedly coming from other students in the class. I'm not saying those rumors are true - just that there's more to the story than what you guys are publicizing.

I already noted my mistake.

What does his vice-chairmanship of the Palm Beach Democratic Party have to do with anything?

I already noted my mistake.

What does his vice-chairmanship of the Palm Beach Democratic Party have to do with anything?

if you lived here you would understand.

AHHHH, more faux outrage over a Fing piece of paper with a name of a fictional character.

shocker.

The Gov of my beloved state will be ousted ASAP, this guy has screwed the pooch from day one. I understand that he needs to drum up this sort of crud to rally the base. As the base if even having second thoughts about him. Gov Skelator... hahahaha

images

university instructor told students to write the word 'Jesus' on paper, throw it on the floor and stomp on it

What exactly was the professor trying to teach?
Is their apology good enough.... Hell no, someone needs to be fired.
There is absolutely no excuse for this type of behavior from the professor and there is no excuse for the University for backing him up.

The entire point of the exercise was that people would object to it - the point of the exercise is that people would hesitate to step on a piece of paper with Jesus written on it - a symbol with no actual religious meaning - because their mind would associate that symbol with what it represents.

It was actually quite a good lesson plan - and if anything, the whole "scandal" about it proved the professor's point.

Only if the next exercise required stomping on the name Mohammed to see what the reaction would be.

Last edited:
AHHHH, more faux outrage over a Fing piece of paper with a name of a fictional character.

shocker.

The Gov of my beloved state will be ousted ASAP, this guy has screwed the pooch from day one. I understand that he needs to drum up this sort of crud to rally the base. As the base if even having second thoughts about him. Gov Skelator... hahahaha

images

interesting you state that, we shall see. Seems he has been gaining favor with a quite a few Dems in the last few months here.

interesting you state that, we shall see. Seems he has been gaining favor with a quite a few Dems in the last few months here.

Of course he has. He knows he has not done the best job overall and I dont know anyone except for GOP hardliners who like the guy. I just dont seem him being reelected. I also think his negativity rankings helped Obama win FL. Obama had no right winning FL, for all intents and purposes.

Well, sure. The fact that it is reprehensible to Christians doesn't count at all.

Stepping on the word "Jesus" is "reprehensible to Christians"?

Yes.

Well, sure. The fact that it is reprehensible to Christians doesn't count at all.

Yes.

It doesn't take much, does it?

Once upon a time, Christians were thrown to the lions. I think that qualifies as horrific.

Now we're supposed to be outraged because students were asked to step on pieces of paper that had the name Jesus written on it?

Are people crazy? Seriously!

Now, if the students would have been thrown to the lions if they refused to comply, then, and ONLY then, would there be a valid complaint.

Yes.

Once upon a time, Christians were thrown to the lions. I think that qualifies as horrific.

Now we're supposed to be outraged because students were asked to step on pieces of paper that had the name Jesus written on it?

Now, if the students would have been thrown to the lions if they refused to comply, then, and ONLY then, would there be a valid complaint.

It doesn't matter what you believe.

It's his faith. If there was a Muslim student in the classroom, he/she would not have stepped on the name of Jesus either considering Jesus is such an important figure in Islam.

The outrage came over the Mormon student going to talk with the Professor's administrator only to find out he'd been suspended.

I'd take action too.

Really?
I vote for him again in an instant.
He has done what he has said he would do in his campaign.
Florida's economy is looking better all the time.
Other than his appearance, Im not sure what you dislike about the man.

Doctor seems to be the only rational person here. At least Doctor sees the whole point of the exercise. The Mormon student was EXPECTED to not step on the paper. Why the hell would he get suspended for simply refusing to step on the paper? There's something we aren't hearing.

Jesus is a very strong cultural symbol in America. That's why Mohammad or Obama would not have been a good choice for this exercise. The point was to make students think, "Why is it so hard for me to step on a piece of paper?" "Why is this any different than a blank piece of paper?"

If the professor kicked him out of class for refusing to step on the paper, I'd side with the student, but I highly doubt that's what happened. I'll reiterate, he was EXPECTED to refuse so why would he get suspended for refusing?

It doesn't matter what you believe.

It's his faith. If there was a Muslim student in the classroom, he/she would not have stepped on the name of Jesus either considering Jesus is such an important figure in Islam.

The outrage came over the Mormon student going to talk with the Professor's administrator only to find out he'd been suspended.

I'd take action too.

Yeah, I get the whole suspension thing. However, is the faith of some people SO fragile as to make them unwilling and/or unable to step on a piece of paper with the name of their savior on it?

If you ask me, that Mormon hasn't learned a damn thing in that school. He certainly hasn't learned anything about context. What an example of superstition. It certainly isn't an example of faith.

Forum List

Back