Florida GOP Lawmakers Discuss Repealing Disney's Self-Governing Rights

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Florida Republican lawmakers have met to discuss the repeal of Disney World's self-governing arrangement following the company's criticism of the state's new Parental Rights in Education law.

Disney World was given control over operations such as law enforcement and fire protection in an arrangement that was created to attract the theme park to the state in 1967.

"Yesterday was the 2nd meeting in a week w/fellow legislators to discuss a repeal of the 1967 Reedy Creek Improvement Act, which allows Disney to act as its own government," State Rep. Spencer Roach, R-Lee County, tweeted Wednesday morning. "If Disney wants to embrace woke ideology, it seems fitting that they should be regulated by Orange County."

Seems reasonable....It's not 1967 anymore.

It seems that Florida governor democrat Reubin Askew authorized Disneyworld to be it's own freaking country independent from Florida laws and law enforcement back in 1971. Through the years Florida Disneyworld became a home for perverts. Now it's a political entity of it's own.

That is the name of the game to Repubs, controlling everyone while claiming to support a less intrusive form of governance.

It seems that Florida governor democrat Reubin Askew authorized Disneyworld to be it's own freaking country independent from Florida laws and law enforcement back in 1971. Through the years Florida Disneyworld became a home for perverts. Now it's a political entity of it's own.
So, boycott. Oh wait....Disney's been boycotted by the Right for decades......how's that working out? :heehee:

Because arm-twisting is the whole point of these kinds of privileges in the first place.

Florida Republican lawmakers have met to discuss the repeal of Disney World's self-governing arrangement following the company's criticism of the state's new Parental Rights in Education law.

Disney World was given control over operations such as law enforcement and fire protection in an arrangement that was created to attract the theme park to the state in 1967.

"Yesterday was the 2nd meeting in a week w/fellow legislators to discuss a repeal of the 1967 Reedy Creek Improvement Act, which allows Disney to act as its own government," State Rep. Spencer Roach, R-Lee County, tweeted Wednesday morning. "If Disney wants to embrace woke ideology, it seems fitting that they should be regulated by Orange County."

Seems reasonable....It's not 1967 anymore.
Good report. Not my state (we just vacation there a lot) but, gotta go with Governor DeSantis on this one.

But God forbid you should have to respect any boundaries.

Libs are like two year old children. Sometimes you just have to spank them. :p
It's called the swinging rake theory of freedom and liberty, without your fetish for spanking people.

So, boycott. Oh wait....Disney's been boycotted by the Right for decades......how's that working out? :heehee:

The impact hasn't hit yet, lol. I know of 2 families, just in my area, that have cancelled trips to Disneyworld over this.

Impact? Who knows, maybe none, maybe some, maybe more than that if it is universal across many states.

Point is-------------> Corporations should NOT be political. Target tried this, and you see what happened to them rather quickly. Corporations are about their stockholders that invest in them, and providing a service, or product.

I am not trying to say your stance is 100% wrong, but I am waiting for someone to tell us how Disney stock has held up after their announcement, because without support from investors...........or maybe they now have more investors....the leadership team will answer the board of directors either way, in the end.

That is the name of the game to Repubs, controlling everyone while claiming to support a less intrusive form of governance.
So you think children should be forced to watch gay parades with near naked people engaging in simulated sex acts march right down in the middle of Disney with horrified parents watching and shocked children traumatized and confused about what they just saw?

That place should be shut down that's how bad it's become.

So you think children should be forced to watch gay parades with near naked people engaging in simulated sex acts march right down in the middle of Disney with horrified parents watching and shocked children traumatized and confused about what they just saw?

That place should be shut down that's how bad it's become.
We have yet to have one of your kinda parades around here.

Me thinks the state GOP has opened a can of worms.

A 2019 study found Disney dominates the Central Florida tourism industry, according to Oxford Economics, and produced: $75.2 billion annual economic impact for Central Florida. 463,000 jobs. $5.8 billion in additional state tax revenue.

Me thinks if Disney ever pulled out of Florida the GOP would be in a shit load of trouble in Florida. It won't ever happen but just for the hell of it would like to see it.

Me thinks Disney contributes a shit load of money to the state GOP.

Me thinks the state GOP has opened a can of worms.

A 2019 study found Disney dominates the Central Florida tourism industry, according to Oxford Economics, and produced: $75.2 billion annual economic impact for Central Florida. 463,000 jobs. $5.8 billion in additional state tax revenue.

Me thinks if Disney ever pulled out of Florida the GOP would be in a shit load of trouble in Florida. It won't ever happen but just for the hell of it would like to see it.

Me thinks Disney contributes a shit load of money to the state GOP.

That's just the problem. Disney at first was onboard with staying neutral over the legislation. Rabid queer activists played their confrontation game and Disney caved. Now Disney will deal with the results of their actions.

Methinks Fla GOP won't be taking Disney Dollars.

Forum List

Back