Florida Gov Signs Law Requiring Students, Faculty To Have Political Beliefs Surveyed

My political viewpoints are no business of the governments. That is what McCarthyism was, we don’t need that again.

Funny how the right wants to legislate thought now.
Interesting to me is that a survey to get information is "legislating thought". It would seem to me that knowing if we have a problem is important.
Seriously?
Collecting information people’s ideological beliefs for the purpose of funding, firing, hiring. What could possibly go wrong?
For left wingers, everything. Taxpayers would stop funding communist indoctrination.

Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) suggested that the state’s public universities and colleges may face financial repercussions depending on the survey results.
The right’s unwarranted hostility toward public universities and colleges dates back decades when conservatives contrived and propagated the lie that universities and colleges were ‘liberal’ and taught ‘liberalism’ – whatever that’s supposed to be; needless to say, nothing could be further from the truth.

That universities and colleges teach facts and the truth which conflict with conservative dogma – and prove that dogma to be false and wrong – doesn’t mean universities and colleges are ‘liberal.’
It's hardly unwarranted. Our colleges an universities went from bein moderately left to being outright Maoist. Teaching facts it the last thing they teach. They are communist indoctrination centers.
There are ton of colleges and universities some of which are ultra rightwing fascist...but you know is forced to go to any of them. They can pick and choose.
Name 5

My political viewpoints are no business of the governments. That is what McCarthyism was, we don’t need that again.

Interesting to me is that a survey to get information is "legislating thought". It would seem to me that knowing if we have a problem is important.
Seriously?
Collecting information people’s ideological beliefs for the purpose of funding, firing, hiring. What could possibly go wrong?
Ordinarily, I would agree that government has no business trying to set opinions, but we know it would not hesitate for a moment to enforce ideological balance if conservative thought overwhelmingly dominated college campuses, so it's fun to watch the reactions. Heck, maybe some students will be better able to handle seeing the name "Donald Trump" written on the sidewalk. Or, just possibly, they'll be better able to defend their opinions beyond, "Muh feelz, you racist, shut up!". And heck, some of them may actually weigh conservative ideas and decide to adopt them. I think that's what's driving most of the fear.
Why should students have to defend their opinions?

Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) suggested that the state’s public universities and colleges may face financial repercussions depending on the survey results.
The right’s unwarranted hostility toward public universities and colleges dates back decades when conservatives contrived and propagated the lie that universities and colleges were ‘liberal’ and taught ‘liberalism’ – whatever that’s supposed to be; needless to say, nothing could be further from the truth.

That universities and colleges teach facts and the truth which conflict with conservative dogma – and prove that dogma to be false and wrong – doesn’t mean universities and colleges are ‘liberal.’
It's hardly unwarranted. Our colleges an universities went from bein moderately left to being outright Maoist. Teaching facts it the last thing they teach. They are communist indoctrination centers.
There are ton of colleges and universities some of which are ultra rightwing fascist...but you know is forced to go to any of them. They can pick and choose.
Name 5

The state of Florida does not get to choose who attends the universities in Florida. That's the decision of the universities.
The universities are the state of Florida, you fucking moron. They are run by the state.

Seriously?
Ordinarily, I would agree that government has no business trying to set opinions, but we know it would not hesitate for a moment to enforce ideological balance if conservative thought overwhelmingly dominated college campuses, so it's fun to watch the reactions. Heck, maybe some students will be better able to handle seeing the name "Donald Trump" written on the sidewalk. Or, just possibly, they'll be better able to defend their opinions beyond, "Muh feelz, you racist, shut up!". And heck, some of them may actually weigh conservative ideas and decide to adopt them. I think that's what's driving most of the fear.
That is part of a college education...it is called critical thinking.

Name 5

So you produced a list of 10? For one thing, they are all private. Parents who send their kids to these schools have to pay twice for their educations.

For another thing, how many universities are leftwing, 10,000?

Seriously?
No, that's part of brainwashing. It sure as hell isn't critical thinking. What kind of thinking has some leftwing prog ever done?

The state of Florida does not get to choose who attends the universities in Florida. That's the decision of the universities.
The universities are the state of Florida, you fucking moron. They are run by the state.
I don’t think you understand how it works.
I undertand exactly how it works. The state funds the university, and it appoints the board of regents. How does it not run the university?

Name 5

So you produced a list of 10? For one thing, they are all private. Parents who send their kids to these schools have to pay twice for their educations.

For another thing, how many universities are leftwing, 10,000?
You were talking about “our colleges and universities”...clearly they are not all leftist. What I think you don’t understand is within a university, some schools tend to be more liberal, some conservative in whom they attract. Business and Agriculture attracts more conservative leanings people.

Seriously?
No, that's part of brainwashing. It sure as hell isn't critical thinking. What kind of thinking has some leftwing prog ever done?
Being challenged to defend your beliefs or ideas forces you to examine them critically....and you come out either stronger in your support for them (and with a better understanding) or realizing they might not have been as absolute as you thought. How is that a bad thing?

Seriously?
Part of getting a good liberal arts education (the classic meaning) is learning how to define ones opinions and defend them from a factual standpoint. Students are supposed to learn how to think critically and logically in order to arrive at their conclusions, not just regurgitate what someone told them to think. IOW, they need to be able to say, "This is what I think and here's WHY I think it".

I have a feeling this will be constitutionally challenged.
A survey? That's paranoid.
Not when you consider how they intend to use it. Ideology is subjective in a way race and ethnicity, for example are not.
The idea of a government mandated ideological balance is not a good idea. You want ideological diversity? Find ways to attract those perspectives...or make your speaker programs more diverse. Incentivise it. But any time a government attempts to legislate thought (which this, since one’s political beliefs don’t necessarily have a thing to do with how one teaches chemistry or physics) bad things result.

It seriously surprises me you guys support these things given it is what you accuse liberals of all the time.
Wrong. Ideology is not subjective. Only those who are trying to put one over on the public make such claims.

The idea that parents don't have a right to mandate what their children are taught doesn't pass the laugh test.

There is leftwing ideological conformity because teachers are all brainwashed in government schools of education. So long as government controls the source of the koolaide, it will continue pumping out the same shit. The quickest way to fix this is to abolish government schools. Nothing will change until that happens.

Your "ideas" are worthless spooge.

Parents should have the right to veto the employment of any teacher at any time.
Ideology is entirely subjective.

You want to hire and fire teachers based soley on perceived ideological orientation. McCarthiesm 2.0.
what a silly thing to say...did xiden not hire his sec of state on his perceived ideological views? nominate judges the same way?

I don’t think you understand how it works.
The totality of what bripat doesn't understand is immense indeed. Unfortunately, it's not getting any smaller over time.

Race and ideological beliefs are two different things.
Discrimination covers both.
True, but if you are claiming discrimination you have to show there is actual discrimination.
You are absolutely right. . . in order to do that. . . they have to know what folks beliefs are. . .

hmmm. . . how would they go about finding out about that? :eusa_think:

Oh, I know, how about the same way they find out the racial composition of the students and faculty? How about they ask them?

I don't think this conversation has to do with private universities, nor do I think the governor of Florida's proposed policy would cover those.

I think this is aimed at making the tax-payer funded public Universities more representative of the people they serve.

Seriously?

You know...I am not so sure. Seems the leftists are more likely use cultural pressure and media while the rightists are the ones frantically legislating, whether it is attempts to restrict voting or enforce some kind of “ideological balance”.

That is pretty dangerous.
I keep hearing the "restrict" voting canard thrown out. . . but as you say, the left has the reigns of propaganda. . . so it could just be a propaganda item.

Repeat it enough times, it becomes the truth, regardless of whether or not it is factual.

. . . same with, "restrict the voting."

How do laws restrict voting depending on your politics? This idea seems laughably absurd.

So, if someone today is a GOP conservative voter. . . and their politics change. . . more liberal and they decide to vote for the DNC, they will then, magically have a harder time voting?

Explain.

Seriously?

You know...I am not so sure. Seems the leftists are more likely use cultural pressure and media while the rightists are the ones frantically legislating, whether it is attempts to restrict voting or enforce some kind of “ideological balance”.

That is pretty dangerous.
I keep hearing the "restrict" voting canard thrown out. . . but as you say, the left has the reigns of propaganda. . . so it could just be a propaganda item.

Repeat it enough times, it becomes the truth, regardless of whether or not it is factual.

. . . same with, "restrict the voting."

How do laws restrict voting depending on your politics? This idea seems laughably absurd.

So, if someone today is a GOP conservative voter. . . and their politics change. . . more liberal and they decide to vote for the DNC, they will then, magically have a harder time voting?

Explain.
I do not see them, for example, worrying about making sure the rural voter has an easy time voting. They do not, for example, worry about the farmer who has to take off hours to travel several miles into town to get to the poll. It wouldn't be because the farmer is more likely to vote Republican, would it?

Forum List

Back