Florida Senate, on a 23-16 vote, just passed legislation ending Disney’s tax privilege, self-governing power & special exemption status

Is there any logical reason in the world for a multi billion dollar corporation like Disney to have a special tax privilege not to mention self governing like a separate state? Florida should have done it a long time ago.
It's not just Disney. But yes, it recognizes that Disney takes the burden of providing some services from the counties. It was mutually beneficial.

Is there any logical reason in the world for a multi billion dollar corporation like Disney to have a special tax privilege not to mention self governing like a separate state? Florida should have done it a long time ago.
A lot of businesses are enticed to come to specific states with big tax break packages…and that is not small businesses but giants like Amazon or in one of our counties an aluminum plant.

It's not just Disney. But yes, it recognizes that Disney takes the burden of providing some services from the counties. It was mutually beneficial.

And now the counties will have to take on that burden. Do they have the personnel to take it on? Do they have the equipment to take it on?

So Florida is raising taxes on ordinary Americans to off-set this?

That's kinda stupid.
Nope. Florida will take over the taxing authority on Disney properties that Disney was collecting. 90% of the 169 MILLION budget was funded by property taxes Disney was collecting from Disney properties. Now the state will get that money, and raise those taxes on Disney if they need to.

Disney was expressing an opinion…as it had every right to. That did not used to get political retaliation. Boycotts? Sure. That is the American way. But legislative vengeance or punishment…don’t you think that is a dangerous precedent?

…in terms of biting the hand that feeds you…Disney is Florida’s biggest employer and provided 5 billion in tax revenue to Florida. It is the biggest driver of tourism in that state. Who is feeding whom?
Disney was getting a sweetheart deal from Disney, make no mistake about that.
Again, I will say it, Actions have consequences.
Disney should have just kept the yaps under raps. Common sense should have prevailed, but in a 'woke' society
that wasn't the case.

Oh shut the hell up, you only care right now because you're a bumbling GOPer and you were told to care by your handlers.

"Why do corporations get tax breaks" - give me a break lmao. Shut the hell up.

Hmmmm.

First, I am in complete agreement with the legislation which keeps teachers from talking to young kids about sexual identity issues. That shouldn't happen.

I don't know how comfortable I am with the State punishing Disney for their opposition to that legislation, though. Unless there's something in Disney's current agreements with the State which would allow them to ignore that legislation (and I don't think there is), I just don't see the reason to punish them.

I'll admit to not being fully versed on this issue so, if I'm missing something, please tell me. But I just think it's wrong to punish someone simply because they have a different opinion...
Do you really believe that making Disney obey the same laws and regulations as every other large company in the state punishing them? It looks to me like the state is finally treating Disney fairly.

Walt worked out a great deal when he negotiated placing Disney World there. He could just as easily put it in Arizona or Texas which also have good year-round weather.

Disney was getting a sweetheart deal from Disney, make no mistake about that.

The deal was no more sweetheart for Disney than it was for the state.

Both benefited from it, now both will be harmed by it going away.

Forum List

Back