Florida - Want Welfare? Take a Urinalysis

I think that depends, the only job I was in where drug tests were a requirement is the Military, I have worked 2 jobs since than one with a private workers compensation company in Virginia and now with the Federal government, none of them require drug tests.

Yea i'm just speaking in general. Most Employers are now requiring Drug Tests for gaining or keeping Jobs. And i can see where many would oppose that,but it is the Law of the Land currently. So if you want to receive Welfare,you have to accept that the Government has the right to require Drug Testing. They're basically your Employer at that point. So your rights are limited. So if Drug Testing is a an accepted Employment requirement,this really isn't so shocking or abusive. It's just the price you have to pay for getting that Government Cheese. Most Americans go through the same thing. It is what it is.

I agree with you to an extent, won't drug testing these individuals cost even more money? plus I have heard there are all kinds of way to beat the drug test.

It could. And you can definitely beat Drug Testing. But it's the wave of the future. Employers only want to hire clean Employees. Once you accept that Government Cheese,you're at your Employer's mercy. If they want you clean,you better get clean. Or wave bye bye to the Cheese. That's just the way it is.

Most American Citizens have to be Drug-Tested to get or stay employed. Whether or not you agree with that isn't the point. It is the current state of things in America. Being required to be Drug Tested to receive Welfare shouldn't be so shocking to anyone in America. It just goes right in line with what the rest of American Citizens have to go through in their lives. Now if you oppose Drug Testing as an Employment requirement,i can see where you might be opposed to this. But if you don't have a problem with Drug Testing as an Employment requirement,you really shouldn't have a problem with this. Some just need to think things through a bit more before typing. Knee-Jerk responses are often a mistake.

I think that depends, the only job I was in where drug tests were a requirement is the Military, I have worked 2 jobs since than one with a private workers compensation company in Virginia and now with the Federal government, none of them require drug tests.

Yea i'm just speaking in general. Most Employers are now requiring Drug Tests for gaining or keeping Jobs. And i can see where many would oppose that,but it is the Law of the Land currently. So if you want to receive Welfare,you have to accept that the Government has the right to require Drug Testing. They're basically your Employer at that point. So your rights are limited. So if Drug Testing is a an accepted Employment requirement,this really isn't so shocking or abusive. It's just the price you have to pay for getting that Government Cheese. Most Americans go through the same thing. It is what it is.

Getting an entitlement from the government doesn't make the government your employer. Entitlements and Employment are two different things.

Getting an entitlement from the government doesn't make the government your employer. Entitlements and Employment are two different things.

Technically you're correct but the concept is the same. No one forces anyone to receive Welfare from the Government. Just like no one forces anyone to work at a particular company. If you want to work at a company and they require Drug Testing,you either agree to the Drug Testing or you move on. The Government has the right to set up requirements for receiving benefits and they do it all the time. If you want the Welfare,you have to meet the requirements. If not,you have to move on. That's just the reality. The potential Welfare Recipient/Employee does not get to dictate the requirements. That's up to the Government/Employer. Some may not agree with this but it is the way it is currently. You don't have to accept the Welfare Benefits or work at a particular company. The choice is still yours in the end.

Technically you're correct but the concept is the same. No one forces anyone to receive Welfare from the Government. Just like no one forces anyone to work at a particular company. If you want to work at a company and they require Drug Testing,you either agree to the Drug Testing or you move on. The Government has the right to set up requirements for receiving benefits and they do it all the time. If you want the Welfare,you have to meet the requirements. If not,you have to move on. That's just the reality. The potential Welfare Recipient/Employee does not get to dictate the requirements. That's up to the Government/Employer. Some may not agree with this but it is the way it is currently. You don't have to accept the Welfare Benefits or work at a particular company. The choice is still yours in the end.

That's a pretty big stretch. I think you should think twice about equating welfare to work. You just might open a can of worms you are unable to control. ;)

I do wish we all lived in such a nice neat little world as you describe. Sadly, we do not.

Gotta love how so many proponents of this bill are unwilling to discuss it's efficacy, or lack thereof.

The bill appeals to their most base emotions and that's good enough for them.

But whatcha gonna do? :dunno:

That's a pretty big stretch. I think you should think twice about equating welfare to work. You just might open a can of worms you are unable to control. ;)

I do wish we all lived in such a nice neat little world as you describe. Sadly, we do not.

Oh i hear ya. But Drug Testing requirements have been going on in this Country for a long time. It has been fought in Courts and has been upheld. So that ship has already sailed. The bottom line is,the potential Welfare Recipient/Employee doesn't get to dictate what the requirements will be. That's all up to the Welfare Provider(Government)/Employer. No one is being forced to do anything. They either meet the requirements or they move on. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Ya'll are such damn drama queens. I personally don't want to send my children off to toil and labor only to be told they have to use their money to subsidize drug addicts. And, you fools would have us legalize drugs.

Again.

To fly in America one must submit to invasive body scans or legalized groping. Liebturds tell us.. don't like scanning and groping? don't fly.

In Florida one must pee in a cup if one wants a check.. don't want to pee? Don't ask for check.

Oh i hear ya. But Drug Testing requirements have been going on in this Country for a long time. It has been fought in Courts and has been upheld. So that ship has already sailed. The bottom line is,the potential Welfare Recipient/Employee doesn't not get to dictate what the requirements will be. That's all up to the Welfare Provider(Government)/Employer. No one is being forced to do anything. They either meet the requirements or they move on. It is what it is.

I don't know if its a good idea to drug test everyone but I have no problem with it because I don't use drugs and I been pissing in a cup for years in the service, so I can deal with it if I have to.

Again.

To fly in America one must submit to invasive body scans or legalized groping. Liebturds tell us.. don't like scanning and groping? don't fly.

In Florida one must pee in a cup if one wants a check.. don't want to pee? Don't ask for check.

Can't really disagree with you. No one is being forced to do anything. Employers have been requiring Drug Testing for years in this country. You simply meet the requirements set up or you move on. Welfare Benefits are not being forced on anyone. So just get a Job. But keep in mind,that Job will likely require you take a Drug Test too.

Again.

Can't really disagree with you. No one is being forced to do anything. Employers have been requiring Drug Testing for years in this country. You simply meet the requirements set up or you move on. Welfare Benefits are not being forced on anyone. So just get a Job. But keep in mind,that Job will likely require you take a Drug Test too.

I don't really care for people who use drugs that much but I don't know if drug testing actually makes them stop, alot of these idiots have figured out ways around that. Drug addicts are some of the craftiest sons of biatches you will meet, I have yet to hear anyone say wow I better stop using drugs or I won't get a job.

Ya'll are such damn drama queens.

Really? I don't see anyone getting overly dramatic. The issue just picks at a couple of my pet peeves - namely hypocrites and bullies. It just gets old watching Republicans pretending to be libertarian, or pretending to care about the constitution, or pretending to in favor of limited government. Issues like these expose real Republican values, which I find a useful 'silver lining', even if they are pissing away important freedoms in the process.

Again.

I don't really care for people who use drugs that much but I don't know if drug testing actually makes them stop, alot of these idiots have figured out ways around that. Drug addicts are some of the craftiest sons of biatches you will meet, I have yet to hear anyone say wow I better stop using drugs or I won't get a job.

Good points. That's why i say they should legalize Marijuana. Most of these positive tests are for Marijuana. And i just don't have a problem with the Ganja. Now i do disagree with some who want to legalize all Drugs. I'm not in favor of doing that. But Marijuana is not nearly as bad as Alcohol in my opinion. Too much of anything is bad for ya. And this is true of Marijuana too. But in moderation,both Marijuana & Alcohol are fine. So they should just legalize the Weed and be done with it. That would probably eliminate most of these failed Drug Tests. I don't know,but that's just my opinion anyway.

Last edited:

Good points. That's why i say they should legalize Marijuana. Most of these positive tests are for Marijuana. And i just don't have a problem with the Ganja. Now i do disagree with some who want to legalize all Drugs. I'm not in favor of doing that. But Marijuana is not nearly as bad as Alcohol in my opinion. Too much of anything is bad for ya. And this is true of Marijuana too. But in moderation,both Marijuana & Alcohol are fine. So they should just legalize the Weed and be done with it. That would probably eliminate most of these failed Drug Tests. I don't know,but that's just my opinion anyway.

Yeah if they legalized marijuana I think alot of the positive drug tests would go down, if I'm not mistaken most people who fail their drug tests is because of weed. Its time I think to just go ahead and legalize.

Ya'll are such damn drama queens.

Really? I don't see anyone getting overly dramatic. The issue just picks at a couple of my pet peeves - namely hypocrites and bullies. It just gets old watching Republicans pretending to be libertarian, or pretending to care about the constitution, or pretending to in favor of limited government. Issues like these expose real Republican values, which I find a useful 'silver lining', even if they are pissing away important freedoms in the process.

Really,, drama is what dimocrats dueeeee, the chilluns will be starving in the streets.. my azz,, we feed the children twice a day in school, now tell me again why we should subsidize drug addicts??

Yeah if they legalized marijuana I think alot of the positive drug tests would go down, if I'm not mistaken most people who fail their drug tests is because of weed. Its time I think to just go ahead and legalize.

The Weed isn't so bad. I don't smoke it but from my own observations,it's not any worse than Alcohol. In fact it's probably less harmful overall. I do not support legalizing all Drugs though. Some Drugs are just bad all the way around. Once they legalize Marijuana,these Drug Tests will only catch the hardcore harmful Drug-Users. So just legalize the Weed. The time has come.

... now tell me again why we should subsidize drug addicts??

Oh that's silly. No one is saying that and you know it. The issue is whether people should have to give up their fourth amendment rights to get welfare benefits - or to receive any other government service. I think it's a bad precedent. I'm sure you'd like to write that concern off as 'slippery slope' or whatever, but can't you just see them using the same kinds of arguments if they socialize medicine?

"Why should we pay for health care for drug addicts?"

Will you be cheering as loudly for these kinds of policies when all of us are required to give up our rights in order to get health care?

The Weed isn't so bad. I don't smoke it but from my own observations,it's not any worse than Alcohol. In fact it's probably less harmful overall. I do not support legalizing all Drugs though. Some Drugs are just bad all the way around. Once they legalize Marijuana,these Drug Tests will only catch the hardcore harmful Drug-Users. So just legalize the Weed. The time has come.

I think wer just at the point where if people smoke weed at their home away from work, it should be fine, just make it like alcohol where you can't drive or come to work high.

... now tell me again why we should subsidize drug addicts??

Oh that's silly. No one is saying that and you know it. The issue is whether people should have to give up their fourth amendment rights to get welfare benefits - or to receive any other government service. I think it's a bad precedent. I'm sure you'd like to write that concern off as 'slippery slope' or whatever, but can't you just see them using the same kinds of arguments if they socialize medicine?

"Why should we pay for health care for drug addicts?"

Will you be cheering as loudly for these kinds of policies when all of us are required to give up our rights in order to get health care?

so if we HAVE to feed their kids, and that frees up their funds to purchase drugs how can you say we aren't subsidizing their drug addiction?? please explain???

Forum List

Back