Florida Wants to Kill Kids

Yeah. Preserving people's liberties and freedom from unwanted intrusion sure sounds like a conservative value to me.

The doctor / patient relationship is not an intrusion by any means. People are not required to communicate themselves in a certain way, they share what they choose to share in that private relationship. The insurance companies are the ones who stand to intrude which is what prompted the legislation.

No. The legislation is specifically aimed at doctors inquiring about firearms in the patient's house. Which is none of his business unless the patient chooses to disclose it.

What about "personal responsibility" to just tell your doctor to fuck off if he asks you? Why does there need to be a law against it?

The doctor / patient relationship is not an intrusion by any means. People are not required to communicate themselves in a certain way, they share what they choose to share in that private relationship. The insurance companies are the ones who stand to intrude which is what prompted the legislation.

No. The legislation is specifically aimed at doctors inquiring about firearms in the patient's house. Which is none of his business unless the patient chooses to disclose it.

What about "personal responsibility" to just tell your doctor to fuck off if he asks you? Why does there need to be a law against it?

Why should you have to tell your doctor to fuck off? When your potential employer asks if you're a Catholic do you tell him to fuck off?

Yeah. Preserving people's liberties and freedom from unwanted intrusion sure sounds like a conservative value to me.

People are not required to answer questions but most people want to have open communication with their doctors about health and safety issues. This law prohibits doctors from communicating on a certain subject which is silly. We need to protect that private relationship not restrict it for fear of insurance intrusion.

Why should you have to tell your doctor to fuck off? When your potential employer asks if you're a Catholic do you tell him to fuck off?

Eh? I'm not understanding your point. What justifies this government intrusion into people's private lives?

Exactly.

Exactly.

You think it's a conservative small government position to create a law for everything that's none of their business?

Exactly.

You think it's a conservative small government position to create a law for everything that's none of their business?

Ever heard of the Ninth and Tenth Amendments?

I invite *YOU* to check them out sometime...educate yourself.

:lol: Why can't politicians make laws to protect people's private relationships rather than impose upon them?

Up to the people of Florida to object...isn't it?

Pity conservatives don’t follow this value when it comes to abortion.

Interesting how all of you are missing the point: the law is appropriate because asking about guns is not medically relevant. Doctors are healers, not social workers. Doctors asking about guns in the home constitutes a ‘presumption of guilt,’ that because guns are present in the home something ‘might happen,’ that there is an inherent incompetence or criminality with regard to gun owners.

:lol: Why can't politicians make laws to protect people's private relationships rather than impose upon them?

Up to the people of Florida to object...isn't it?

It's in the hands of the politicians at this point. I think it's a backward shame.

Florida is set to become the first state to pass a law that would limit doctors' ability to council parents about gun safety in the home.

Last week, the state legislature approved a bill that would make it legal to impose punishment on doctors who ask about guns kept in the home. The bill awaits approval from Florida Gov. Rick Scott, who is known to support gun rights and will likely sign the bill, said Dr. Louis St. Petery, a pediatrician in Tallahassee, Fla., and executive vice president of the Florida Pediatric Society.

Critics: New Gun Law Will Kill Kids - Yahoo! News

Wow.

I had one or two bad experiences with pediatricians but I firmly believe they have the best interests of children at heart.

To criminalize asking a question to find out if safety information is warranted is big brother at its finest.

My home state sometimes disturbs me.

Last edited by a moderator:
God damn! You guys are completely around the bend. Yes, a gun in a home with small children is a definate danger to those children. There are enough adults hurt and killed every year from mishandling guns, and the number of children hurt by guns that they should never have had access to is appalling.

I am a gun owner and have been since I was 12 years old. I was taught, and have taught my children, that a gun is the most dangerous tool you will own. You are responsible for your use of it, you are responsible for keeping out of the hands of children and anybody else that should not have access to it.

The report of a child hurt or killed by a gun left where the child has easy access is an all too common news item. For you fruitloops I propose an additional law. Any parent that is careless enough with the storing of a weopon that a child gets that gun and kills or injures another child or himself, it is an automatic death penalty for that parent.

God damn! You guys are completely around the bend. Yes, a gun in a home with small children is a definate danger to those children. There are enough adults hurt and killed every year from mishandling guns, and the number of children hurt by guns that they should never have had access to is appalling.

I am a gun owner and have been since I was 12 years old. I was taught, and have taught my children, that a gun is the most dangerous tool you will own. You are responsible for your use of it, you are responsible for keeping out of the hands of children and anybody else that should not have access to it.

The report of a child hurt or killed by a gun left where the child has easy access is an all too common news item. For you fruitloops I propose an additional law. Any parent that is careless enough with the storing of a weopon that a child gets that gun and kills or injures another child or himself, it is an automatic death penalty for that parent.

HOW ever did our forbearer's survive?

GOD yer stupid Rocks.

Another "small government conservative" law that makes it a crime for a doctor to ask if there are guns at home...

Gotta love those "small government" conservatives...

I love how you guys complain about "liberal" doublespeak, and then try to claim that legally forbidding doctors from talking to their patients is "preserving liberty and freedom".
No one has suggested forbidding doctors from talking to their patients.
There should be certain questions that are beyond the scope of their profession, just as there are questions I'm not allowed to ask during a job interview.
If my child shows up in the ER with a gunshot wound in his leg, THEN the doctor can ask about guns. It has nothing to do with an ear infection and is NONE of the doctor's business how many guns I have.

I'm looking at a shotgun propped in the corner across the room. There's a rifle in the room behind me and my handgun sits on the nightstand in my bedroom.
4 kids, 10 grandkids, and 2 great grandkids. Not a single one of them have EVER touched my guns except in the field or on the range.
All 4 of my kids now own their own and 5 of the grandkids do....
Wanna make something of it?
Take it up with any one of us.
:eusa_whistle:

I have a friend and fellow shooter who withdrew all of his family's business from a medical practice because the doctor had the nerve to ask one of his children whether or not there were guns in the home.... There's a point in a child's physical where the parent is asked to leave the room. During that time, his daughter Karen was asked if there were guns in the house. She said that yes there were. When her father came back in doctor proceeded to begin to comment on the gun ownership issue. My friend immediately informed the doctor that the exam was OVER and then proceeded to demand ALL of his family's medical records be turned over to him before he and his daughter left the office.

Forum List

Back