Florida Wants to Kill Kids

The doctor / patient relationship is not an intrusion by any means. People are not required to communicate themselves in a certain way, they share what they choose to share in that private relationship. The insurance companies are the ones who stand to intrude which is what prompted the legislation.

No. The legislation is specifically aimed at doctors inquiring about firearms in the patient's house. Which is none of his business unless the patient chooses to disclose it.

People are not required to answer questions but most people want to have open communication with their doctors about health and safety issues. This law prohibits doctors from communicating on a certain subject which is silly. We need to protect that private relationship not restrict it for fear of insurance intrusion.
I don't know. It's out of the scope of medical information and you either lie or tell the guy it's none of his business which does not bode well for a good relationship

I understand your take on the insurance companies and if this is how they want to go about it it's just fine by me

If you own a gun, you or a member of your family is seven times more likely to die of a gun death.

Then my family and I must be a statistical anomoly.... I grew up around guns. I am a gun owner myself. At least two-thirds of the men in my family are gun owners as well. Yet we have never had a single instance of ANYONE being harmed by a firearm in any of our homes. Nor have any of the other multitude of gun owners that I know.

Personally, I'll take my chances on being "seven times more likely to die in a gun related incident" to ensure that anyone who breaks into my apartment while I'm there or who attempts to accoust me on the street is 100% guaranteed to die from a GSW.

God damn! You guys are completely around the bend. Yes, a gun in a home with small children is a definate danger to those children. There are enough adults hurt and killed every year from mishandling guns, and the number of children hurt by guns that they should never have had access to is appalling.

I am a gun owner and have been since I was 12 years old. I was taught, and have taught my children, that a gun is the most dangerous tool you will own. You are responsible for your use of it, you are responsible for keeping out of the hands of children and anybody else that should not have access to it.

The report of a child hurt or killed by a gun left where the child has easy access is an all too common news item. For you fruitloops I propose an additional law. Any parent that is careless enough with the storing of a weopon that a child gets that gun and kills or injures another child or himself, it is an automatic death penalty for that parent.

HOW ever did our forbearer's survive?

GOD yer stupid Rocks.

T, perhaps I am confused by your expression of anger. Are you saying guns are not a danger to children if improperly stored like Rocks said?

Or are you mad he is a gun owner since twelve? Your anger just does not make sense to me.

I inherited one and just like the tools in my garage consider it dangerous for my son to be around. Do you disagree?

With Liberty, comes responsibility. Nothing else needs to be said.

What qualifies a doctor to give advice about gun safety??

Because some people are so incredibly stupid that they do things like leave a loaded gun laying around their house and then the pediatricians in the ER get to see these kids come in to the ER with half of their heads blown off.

You don't have to go to Medical School to know it's stupid to leave loaded weapons laying about when children are present, but the Pediatricians fill the roll of all aspects of child care, to include educating parents on everything from discipline, to car seats, to weapons.

The point is that someone along the way is telling parents that they shouldn't smack their kids or leave loaded weapons laying around the house.

Health care doesn't begin and end at the clinic door.

This is a stupid law. Barring the first amendment to protect the second amendment? I see this one going over well in a court of law.

Last edited:
Florida may do what it wishes. Doctors have no business asking such questions.

I concur with the decision of the Florida State Legislature.

I thought the free market policed this?

Not the actual police.

If you don't like the questions your Doctor asks, go to another (bad) Dr. that hands you a script without asking you anything.

Florida may do what it wishes. Doctors have no business asking such questions.

I concur with the decision of the Florida State Legislature.

I thought the free market policed this?

Not the actual police.

If you don't like the questions your Doctor asks, go to another (bad) Dr. that hands you a script without asking you anything.

It's NONE of their business...what part of that don't you get?

You think it's a conservative small government position to create a law for everything that's none of their business?

Ever heard of the Ninth and Tenth Amendments?

I invite *YOU* to check them out sometime...educate yourself.

Ever hear of the Supremacy Clause?

It's a stupid law that infringes upon first amendment rights.

It will get chucked.

The GOP knows it.

More waste-of-time pandering that the GOP is becoming famous for.

Yeah. Preserving people's liberties and freedom from unwanted intrusion sure sounds like a conservative value to me.

Pity conservatives don’t follow this value when it comes to abortion.

Interesting how all of you are missing the point: the law is appropriate because asking about guns is not medically relevant. Doctors are healers, not social workers. Doctors asking about guns in the home constitutes a ‘presumption of guilt,’ that because guns are present in the home something ‘might happen,’ that there is an inherent incompetence or criminality with regard to gun owners.

Trauma isn't a medical issue?

T, perhaps I am confused by your expression of anger. Are you saying guns are not a danger to children if improperly stored like Rocks said?

I grew up in a home with a loaded .375 Magnum in the drawer of my father's nightstand. I knew exactly where it was from the time I was 5 years old (he showed it to me). I never once thought to even CONSIDER going in there and touching that gun. You know why? Because I was taught what it was, that it wasn't a toy, and that I'd get my ass kicked so hard I wouldn't know if I was still alive if I ever even THOUGHT ABOUT touching it. There is little to no danger if the PARENTS undertake the proper responsibility to inform, educate, and discipline their children.

I inherited one and just like the tools in my garage consider it dangerous for my son to be around. Do you disagree?

Then you should either get rid of the kid or the gun and the tools. I mean we wouldn't want you to be responsible for teaching your child not to touch certain things. Personally I suggest getting rid of the kid.

What questions is it legal for the doc to ask? Mine always asks my son if he wears a seatbelt everytime he is in the car, wears protection when using any wheeled toy, if anyone smokes in the house. I don't think I heard anything about guns yet.

Should those be illegal also?

Yes they should. Then again, all I have an interest in talking to my PCP about is my immediate physical condition.

Then again I HAD a gun-related arguement with my PCP three years ago.... As a competitive pistol shooter, I spend a lot of time on indoor ranges without great ventilation. Because of this I request that they do a Lead Level test on my blood each year just to keep an eye on it. Well, three years ago the level was elevated. My PCP informed me that if he found out I'd been in a range within the next six months he would sic the Massachusetts EPA on me. I told him to go to hell. We had an arguement, and a heated one at that. The only reason I have the test done is for my personal knowledge. I also informed him I wasn't going to stop shooting and that if he called the EPA, that I would do everything legally in my power to ensure that every gun owner who sees him changed doctors. He must have believed me because he never called the EPA

And why don't the insurance companies just ask directly when writing the policy? They should know if guns are in the house and what risk level they are when rating policies, shouldn't they?

Home Owner's Policies generally do, and gun owners pay higher rates if the company will insure them at all in certain states. Health Insurers don't ask in part because they know that a lot of gun owners would simply refuse to do business with them; as many of us do with certain banks and other businesses due to their viewpoints on gun ownership.

The other thing to realize is that it's not generally the insurance companies that are behind this. It's the AMA. They're fervently anti-gun and see this as a way to push their anti-gun agenda.

So, doctors ask about guns in Florida? I don't get why this is even a big deal on either side. I have never once been asked about having guns in the home when taking my child to the doctor, and never talked to about gun safety. :confused:

Not every doctor does this. As I said above, this is being pushed by the AMA as a means to forward their anti-gun ownership agenda. Thankfully many doctors are gun owners themselves, are not AMA members, or are just smarter than that. I encourage all gun owners to find out if your doctor pushes the AMA's anti-gun agenda and if they do, to change doctors.

No. The legislation is specifically aimed at doctors inquiring about firearms in the patient's house. Which is none of his business unless the patient chooses to disclose it.

People are not required to answer questions but most people want to have open communication with their doctors about health and safety issues. This law prohibits doctors from communicating on a certain subject which is silly. We need to protect that private relationship not restrict it for fear of insurance intrusion.
I don't know. It's out of the scope of medical information and you either lie or tell the guy it's none of his business which does not bode well for a good relationship

I understand your take on the insurance companies and if this is how they want to go about it it's just fine by me

The legislation was proposed because people are concerned with their private information being used against them by insurance companies as if doctors catalog the info and tattle on patients private behavior. I don't blame people for being concerned but the fact of the matter is the doctor / patient relationship is a private one and patients privacy only stands to be violated by the insurance companies or the state regulators trying to butt-in asking for it to be cataloged. I think this legislation is a backward solution which puts unnecessary limits on a private relationship where they should rather put restrictions elsewhere to protect privacy.

The nature of pediatrics is to operate in the best interest of the health and safety of the child, asking certain questions is not always the same as a matter of course and can vary from family to family depending on the subjective and objective assessment of the situation by the medical professional. To OUTLAW asking a certain question is silly IMO.

The legislation was proposed because people are concerned with their private information being used against them by insurance companies as if doctors catalog the info and tattle on patients private behavior. I don't blame people for being concerned but the fact of the matter is the doctor / patient relationship is a private one and patients privacy only stands to be violated by the insurance companies or the state regulators trying to butt-in asking for it to be cataloged. I think this legislation is a backward solution which puts unnecessary limits on a private relationship where they should rather put restrictions elsewhere to protect privacy.

The nature of pediatrics is to operate in the best interest of the health and safety of the child, asking certain questions is not always the same as a matter of course and can vary from family to family depending on the subjective and objective assessment of the situation by the medical professional. To OUTLAW asking a certain question is silly IMO.

Pardon my paranoia, but how much of this information will my government have privy to once gov't run healthcare takes hold??
:eusa_eh:

Pardon my paranoia, but how much of this information will my government have privy to once gov't run healthcare takes hold??
:eusa_eh:

That's probably what prompted this legislation is people's fears of big government intrusion on our medical info...

This happened this week..........

TELFERNER, Texas — A 4-year-old boy is dead after being shot in the stomach by a 5-year-old sibling who was playing with a bolt-action rifle in the family's Texas home, authorities said.

..Victoria County authorities said the children's parents were at the home in Telferner in southern Texas when the shooting happened late Wednesday.

Chief Deputy Terry Simons told the Victoria Advocate that investigators are trying to determine why the children were left unsupervised. The parents drove their wounded son to a nearby grocery to meet with paramedics, who then rushed the boy to a hospital.

Telferner is in southern Texas between Houston and Corpus Christi. The boy's parents drove him to the Telferner Grocery and Market to meet with paramedics, who then rushed the boy to Citizens Medical Center in Victoria, the Advocate reported.

Authorities have not released the name and gender of the other sibling

Texas boy, 4, fatally shot by 5-year-old sibling - US news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh3xpSJwmk4"]YouTube - Doc Holiday "I'm Your Huckleberry"[/ame]

Tell you people that don't *LIVE* here something? You don't like it?

Don't MOVE here.

*Simple*.

First of all I live here, so I have a right to weigh in on my opinion of our state's laws (I agree with you on the thoughts of people complaining from elsewhere-just don't move here).

I think a doctor should be able to ask somebody if they own a gun in the household, as long as they have reason to believe there's a gun present, AND the child has access to it.

I think the doctor should be able to bring it up, just like I think you have the right to stop the visit right then and there, and bring your business elsewhere.

Tell you people that don't *LIVE* here something? You don't like it?

Don't MOVE here.

*Simple*.

First of all I live here, so I have a right to weigh in on my opinion of our state's laws (I agree with you on the thoughts of people complaining from elsewhere-just don't move here).

I think a doctor should be able to ask somebody if they own a gun in the household, as long as they have reason to believe there's a gun present, AND the child has access to it.

I think the doctor should be able to bring it up, just like I think you have the right to stop the visit right then and there, and bring your business elsewhere.

With Liberty (2nd Amendment)...Comes responsibility...

It's NONE of anyone's business. Yes, it's that simple.

Forum List

Back