Folk Libertarianism

This article really nails it. It seems like they could also have called it "populist conservatism", but the point remains - it has precious little to do with real libertarianism.

DeSantis is no libertarian.

Why is it that libertarians are never taken seriously?

From the link:

Folk libertarianism is not an ideological affair. Neither is it a policy agenda. It’s an anti-authority impulse that wants authority for itself

That’s an apt description of “libertarians” who only think they are…

Right off hand, I would think the perception of their being idealogues might come into play.

While being generally predisposed towards many libertarian ideals, myself, I consider practicality, common sense and the willingness to compromise as being better traits than strict reliance on ideology.

Are there really people calling DeSantis a Libertarian? I've not seen that nor could I fathom anyone doing that.
Plenty of his fans call themselves libertarians, or insist that he is "more libertarian" than some presumed alternative.

Plenty of his fans call themselves libertarians, or insist that he is "more libertarian" than some presumed alternative.
Well, he is certainly more libertarian than any Democrat, that's for sure.

When the greatest threat to the sovereignty of our nation is coming from authoritarian technocrat leftists, is it really wise to have a pissing contest over who is the purest libertarian?

Well, he is certainly more libertarian than any Democrat, that's for sure.

When the greatest threat to the sovereignty of our nation is coming from authoritarian technocrat leftists, is it really wise to have a pissing contest over who is the purest libertarian?
I don't buy that at all. Lesser-of-two-evils is a losing strategy, not that I even agree that he's the "lesser evil".

I don't buy that at all. Lesser-of-two-evils is a losing strategy, not that I even agree that he's the "lesser evil".
and this answers you as to why libertarians are not taken seriously.

Your all or nothing approach discounts the fact that he is FAR more libertarian in nature than any potential Democrat candidate.

and this answers you as to why libertarians are not taken seriously.

LOL. Because we don't fall for the lesser-of-two-evils con?? Sure ....

Your all or nothing approach discounts the fact that he is FAR more libertarian in nature than any potential Democrat candidate.
No, he's not. He's authoritarian and statist as hell when it suits him. If it suits you as well, that's fine. But don't call it libertarian, because it's not.

LOL. Because we don't fall for the lesser-of-two-evils con?? Sure ....

No, he's not. He's authoritarian and statist as hell when it suits him. If it suits you as well, that's fine. But don't call it libertarian, because it's not.
"WE"?

How collectivist of you. :auiqs.jpg:

The duopoly know that ranked choice voting will destroy them. They will come up with every excuse in the fucking book to prevent it.

They love presenting the lesser-of-two-evils "choice" and do so quite smugly and arrogantly.

Last edited:

Because the establishment has duped so many Americans into believing they need a criminal oligarchy supporting a criminal ruling class to rule over them. Surprisingly most Americans accept this and willingly condemn libertarians. It’s really very sad how dumb people can be.

Yeah, I see your point. And generally RW social authoritarians do call themselves libertarians, and nothing is farther form the truth. I wonder how Clarence Thomas would see himself, other than above the law, LOL.

Although I'm not sure a libertarian would approve of forcing bakers to bake cakes. And I don't see why a teacher should be discussing his/her own personal life in a classroom, regardless of whatever the orientation is. My daughter disagrees with me on that, though. I suspect its because I'm old, and what I see as employer neutrality is just out of date compared to the views of most in GenY.

From the link:

Folk libertarianism is not an ideological affair. Neither is it a policy agenda. It’s an anti-authority impulse that wants authority for itself

That’s an apt description of “libertarians” who only think they are…
Libertarianism is a political philosophy. I agree that it has a streak of anti-authoritarianism at its core. “Authority for itself” is misleading, though. It’s more about personal sovereignty and innate human rights.

The duopoly know that ranked choice voting will destroy them. They will come up with every excuse in the fucking book to prevent it.

They love presenting the lesser-of-two-evils "choice" and do so quite smugly and arrogantly.
I am smug and arrogant for entirely different reasons, myself.

If people are waiting for their opportunity to vote for the second coming of Friedrich Nietzsche, they are going to have a very long wait.

I own a small business, myself, so in the meantime, I plan on voting for the fellow who allows small businesses to operate.

Waiting for a pure candidate while my ability to earn a living is taken away is not an option.

Last edited:
This article really nails it. It seems like they could also have called it "populist conservatism", but the point remains - it has precious little to do with real libertarianism.

It nails nothing. Yes libertarians are in opposition to the lockdowns and the coercion behind the jabs - some of which Reason and Cato have supported. Libertarians have given credit where due to DeSantis in these matters. There is a long list of other things that they have legitimately opposed to him over.

Forum List

Back