Food stamps don't buy diapers, so one mom found this solution

David_42

Registered Democrat.
Aug 9, 2015
What a great story to cheer one up :)
Food stamps don't cover diapers, so one mom did this - CNN.com
Washington (CNN)Corinne Cannon had a tough time adjusting to motherhood after the birth of her first child, Jack.

"We were ecstatic to have him, but he was a difficult infant," Cannon said. "He cried pretty much all the time, and it was so emotionally exhausting."

That's an experience many new mothers can relate to. But Cannon knew she had the resources and support to get her through that many families do not have. She felt compelled to help them, so she called local organizations to ask what she could do.

Over and over, the answer she got was "diapers."

Nearly 30% of parents in the United States cannot afford diapers, which can cost up to $100 every month per baby. And it is an expense not covered by food stamps.

"I thought how impossible it would be, on top of having the stress of a newborn, if you are wondering where your baby's next diaper is coming from," Cannon said.

In 2010, the day before Jack's first birthday, Cannon founded the D.C. Diaper Bank. The nonprofit has since provided nearly 2 million diapers to low-income families in the Washington metro area.

But for Cannon, the work is about more than giving away diapers.

"We're using diapers as a way to bring families in the door, to have them engage with social services for their other needs," said Cannon, whose group partners with other local nonprofits that help families.

Last year, Cannon's organization expanded to provide other necessities, such as formula, baby food and breastfeeding supplies.

CNN spoke to Cannon about her work. Below is an edited version of the conversation.

CNN: How does the lack of diapers affect children and families?

How about use cloth and not expensive disposal diapers?
Yes, because we should expect mothers to use uncomfortable fabric for their babies.. Typical RW solution.

Anyone raised before Pampers was tortured by "uncomfortable" fabrics, and the poor mothers, already working their fingers to the bone managed to wash the effing diapers.

Too funny. Everyone survived.

Yes, because we should expect mothers to use uncomfortable fabric for their babies.. Typical RW solution.

Anyone raised before Pampers was tortured by "uncomfortable" fabrics, and the poor mothers, already working their fingers to the bone managed to wash the effing diapers.

I never said tortured, and I do not want to deal with rwnj's wanting to return to the past.

They were very soft. My mom kept them and later used them for other things.

I never said tortured, and I do not want to deal with rwnj's wanting to return to the past.

Cloth diapers made sense when mothers were at home and had the time to wash them. Once they were forced to out to work there simply wasn't the time to deal with them any longer.

Right wing solution: It's your fault for being poor, stop using diapers, here, take this rag.

Well, if I've learned anything, we will now see the newfound republican hatred of diapers.

Washington (CNN)Corinne Cannon had a tough time adjusting to motherhood after the birth of her first child, Jack.

"We were ecstatic to have him, but he was a difficult infant," Cannon said. "He cried pretty much all the time, and it was so emotionally exhausting."

That's an experience many new mothers can relate to. But Cannon knew she had the resources and support to get her through that many families do not have. She felt compelled to help them, so she called local organizations to ask what she could do.

Nearly 30% of parents in the United States cannot afford diapers, which can cost up to $100 every month per baby. And it is an expense not covered by food stamps.

"I thought how impossible it would be, on top of having the stress of a newborn, if you are wondering where your baby's next diaper is coming from," Cannon said.

In 2010, the day before Jack's first birthday, Cannon founded the D.C. Diaper Bank. The nonprofit has since provided nearly 2 million diapers to low-income families in the Washington metro area.

"We're using diapers as a way to bring families in the door, to have them engage with social services for their other needs," said Cannon, whose group partners with other local nonprofits that help families.

Last year, Cannon's organization expanded to provide other necessities, such as formula, baby food and breastfeeding supplies.

CNN spoke to Cannon about her work. Below is an edited version of the conversation.

You must have a sad and lonely life for such a story to cheer you up.

SRSLY

Join a 12 step program. Please.

You must have a sad and lonely life for such a story to cheer you up.

SRSLY

Join a 12 step program. Please.
Wow, a story about a woman helping to provide diapers to low income families should cheer anyone up.

I think it is great that these kind of places that help out are out there....

but I also believe that cloth diapers are okay as well, and all of us older than 40 or so probably wore them, their cotton and not harsh....HINT--any time cotton becomes stiff is too much fabric softner, rinse in a white vinegar and water mixture and the fabric softner will be removed, allowing the cotton to be soft again, and using fabric softner till they get stiff and repeat the vinegar and water rinse....this works on towels that have lost their softness as well.... ;)

Pros and cons

Pro Paper-for any working mother or mother that has more than one child in diapers, paper diapers is the only way you can accomplish all that needs accomplishing with your job, cooking and household chores...

Con-paper diapers add greatly to our land fills, paper diapers takes manufacturing and releasing greenhouse gases, and if from actual paper, kills trees.

Pro Cloth- Reusable, saves a lot of space in landfills by not using daily paper diapers...protects the environment.

Con cloth- takes a lot of time to wash and dry them, takes more clean, drinkable water to wash them, most poor people do not have their own laundry in their homes and would have to lug the crap filled diapers, daily, to the laundry area of the complex or to a laundromat, taking way too much time....when mothers did not work for a living, this was easier to do.

but I also believe that cloth diapers are okay as well, and all of us older than 40 or so probably wore them, their cotton and not harsh....HINT--any time cotton becomes stiff is too much fabric softner, rinse in a white vinegar and water mixture and the fabric softner will be removed, allowing the cotton to be soft again, and using fabric softner till they get stiff and repeat the vinegar and water rinse....this works on towels that have lost their softness as well.... ;)

Pros and cons

Pro Paper-for any working mother or mother that has more than one child in diapers, paper diapers is the only way you can accomplish all that needs accomplishing with your job, cooking and household chores...

Con-paper diapers add greatly to our land fills, paper diapers takes manufacturing and releasing greenhouse gases, and if from actual paper, kills trees.

Pro Cloth- Reusable, saves a lot of space in landfills by not using daily paper diapers...protects the environment.

Con cloth- takes a lot of time to wash and dry them, takes more clean, drinkable water to wash them, most poor people do not have their own laundry in their homes and would have to lug the crap filled diapers, daily, to the laundry area of the complex or to a laundromat, taking way too much time....when mothers did not work for a living, this was easier to do.
The main problem is, mothers just don't have the time these days..

Pros and cons

yes, this is very true...especially if they work.

Well, if I've learned anything, we will now see the newfound republican hatred of diapers.

No, you found a way to turn common sense into a political "movement".
If you can't afford to buy diapers every week, buy reusable diapers once. Problem solved. And unless they are washing them in a creek, on a rock, cleaning them is as easy as washing laundry in your washer. Then put them in the dryer........

Every time a disposable diaper is used a tree dies.

Proud of your wastrel ways, libbie AGW freaks?

Pros and cons

So are you saying that working mothers don't have time to do laundry? However will she find the time to raise her child?Please.

No, you found a way to turn common sense into a political "movement".
If you can't afford to buy diapers every week, buy reusable diapers once. Problem solved. And unless they are washing them in a creek, on a rock, cleaning them is as easy as washing laundry in your washer. Then put them in the dryer........
In general poorer people and middle class people as well in apartment dwellings don't usually have washer and dryers in their apartments.

If you work and/or have more than one child, it is not easy to find the time to lug your crud filled diapers to a laundromat or laundry area, every single day. If you have laundry in your own home it is easier, however you are paying for water and for electricity to wash and dry them, so it is not just the cost of cloth diapers.

They were very soft. My mom kept them and later used them for other things.

Yes, mine too, I am told.

Forum List

Back