Forget Swing States, Trump is going to Lose Red States Also

The shame about this election is that it was so winnable for the Republicans.

So true

But was it?

The dynamics the propelled Obama to victory in 2012 are still there.

yes, but historically after two terms, the white house generally changes party. it might not have been a gimme, but it was certainly a high probability. and i think if kasich or rubio were the candidate they'd have won. but then again, i thought jon huntsman could have won when he ran in 2012. the "base" rejected him because he was appointed ambassador to china by obama. i bet utah is wishing he had won.

So true

But was it?

yes, but historically after two terms, the white house generally changes party. it might not have been a gimme, but it was certainly a high probability. and i think if kasich or rubio were the candidate they'd have won. but then again, i thought jon huntsman could have won when he ran in 2012. the "base" rejected him because he was appointed ambassador to china by obama. i bet utah is wishing he had won.
The next Republican president hasn't been born yet

Hilly's name goes down in history with Saddam Hussein and Kim Jong Un to get 100% of the vote.
The American public can't wait to have Democrat super majorities in Congress and an ultra liberal President who is itching to finish the job Obama's super majority started to control every aspect of our lives and tax us at 90% to pay for their utopia.

Dream on Libs.

So true

But was it?

i don't know that i agree with that. maybe the crazy will burn itself out after this and the loons will find their own party. on the other hand, they could go the way of the whigs.

All the lefties on this board sure do like to count those chickens before they hatch.

Wonder what they will be saying if Trump wins in a landslide??
He won't. Laugh at the polls all you want but he's losing pretty badly. He can however, win a squeaker still but a landslide is out of reach.

I do think that expecting all these Red States to go Blue is premature. Turn out will be a big issue this election as Trump's supporters are a minority but ARE motivated to turn out. Hillary's supporters seem to be more motivated by wanting to stop Trump. If Trump could make this election about Hillary he may have a chance. The problem is this last week shows he's just incapable of showing any discipline on the trail. It's all about him right now and if it stays that way he will lose by historic margins.

But,but,but the Wonderful Donald said he's doing great in the polls
and the only way he loses in the general election is if the Dems cheat.....

So it has been foretold by Wonderful Donald that he will win this thing......

Biggly.....

I think not necessarily.

The White House shouldn't have changed hands in 2000. Gore got the most votes, and Jeb rigged Florida.

I look more in terms of larger majorities.

Republicans held the majority nationally between 1860-1932, only losing the white house for 16 of those 72 years, and even then under odd circumstances, such as the only non-consecutive terms for a president and a major schism in the GOP in 1912. Republican Urban power in the North held political dominance.

The Democrats held sway from 1932 to 1968, only losing the Presidency for 8 years in that period. And the Republicans had to essentially nominate a War Hero who admitted the Democrats were right on most of the big issues. The combination of Northern working folks and Southern conservatives gave them a winning coalition.

From 1968 to 1992, The Republicans held the WH for all but four years. Nixon's ability to peel off Southerners and working class whites by playing on their religious, sexual and racial fears paid off up until the point where minorities became enough of the electorate to counter that.

since 1992, The GOP has not won 50% of a presidential vote except for one time when they had everything going for them and they STILL only barely made it.

Now, yes, Hillary is an awful candidate and maybe a more charismatic character could have done better than Trump, but she still has built in advantages that the GOP has yet to overcome.

All the lefties on this board sure do like to count those chickens before they hatch.

the o/p isn't a "leftist".

a normal candidate might have been able to turn this tide. a normal candidate probably would have been able to dispatch hillary clinton's campaign.

your guy is unhinged and its unlikely he can turn around a car at this point.

I think not necessarily.

The White House shouldn't have changed hands in 2000. Gore got the most votes, and Jeb rigged Florida.

I look more in terms of larger majorities.

Republicans held the majority nationally between 1860-1932, only losing the white house for 16 of those 72 years, and even then under odd circumstances, such as the only non-consecutive terms for a president and a major schism in the GOP in 1912. Republican Urban power in the North held political dominance.

The Democrats held sway from 1932 to 1968, only losing the Presidency for 8 years in that period. And the Republicans had to essentially nominate a War Hero who admitted the Democrats were right on most of the big issues. The combination of Northern working folks and Southern conservatives gave them a winning coalition.

From 1968 to 1992, The Republicans held the WH for all but four years. Nixon's ability to peel off Southerners and working class whites by playing on their religious, sexual and racial fears paid off up until the point where minorities became enough of the electorate to counter that.

since 1992, The GOP has not won 50% of a presidential vote except for one time when they had everything going for them and they STILL only barely made it.

Now, yes, Hillary is an awful candidate and maybe a more charismatic character could have done better than Trump, but she still has built in advantages that the GOP has yet to overcome.

i'm not saying anything was a given and it was certainly possible that demographics are destiny. but clinton is a flawed candidate and a solid republican who presented as a sane and trustworthy adult should have been able to win, if only in a squeaker. right now 27% of voters say that donald has the temperament to be president to clinton's almost 70%. i doubt donald has enough control to turn around that number.

GHook93 thank you! Great articles.

Looks like Georgia is now in doubt for Trump and Texas is also a possibility as well.

I sometimes wonder if this will be like McGovern all over again ?!

No, Texas is not a possibility and everyone needs to stop with the Utah shit because that's never going to happen.

i agree totally with texas. but utah is possible because the GOP presidential vote will go to their home state guy or a write-in for Romney. that would leave clinton the beneficiary of that split.

a normal candidate might have been able to turn this tide. a normal candidate probably would have been able to dispatch hillary clinton's campaign.

That's my view. This election would still be winnable for anyone but Trump. Hillary is a terrible candidate in a lot of ways. Obama is popular but his support for Hillary wouldn't be nearly as enthusiastic if Trump weren't a birther and a racist. A normal GOP nominee would have a motivated base to face a fairly unmotivated DNC. That isn't what has happened this cycle and its entirety because of Trump.

Here's an instant orgasm for you liberals:

Prognostication:

Tuesday, November 8' 2016 12;01Am ET

NBC CBS ABC CNN MSNBC PSB all project Hillary Clinton winner.

Clinton getting greedy for a landslide could backfire on her if she spreads her resources too thin and something happens that changes the game. She needs to go to a prevent defense.

Too early for a prevent defense, though I more or less agree with your main premise. She could theoretically put herself in danger if she goes on a Donald Trump style ego trip. That being said, I don't believe Clinton is foolhardy enough to let that happen here.

Clinton getting greedy for a landslide could backfire on her if she spreads her resources too thin and something happens that changes the game. She needs to go to a prevent defense.
She can lose if too cautious!!

Best to keep playing your A game!! Remember, this is for the championship!!

That's my view. This election would still be winnable for anyone but Trump. Hillary is a terrible candidate in a lot of ways. Obama is popular but his support for Hillary wouldn't be nearly as enthusiastic if Trump weren't a birther and a racist. A normal GOP nominee would have a motivated base to face a fairly unmotivated DNC. That isn't what has happened this cycle and its entirety because of Trump.

that's right. now they have a crazy motivated "base" but an unmotivated general electorate. and a very motivated democratic party. i doubt it will be this much fun to cast a ballot for many years.

what i am glad about is the crazies have been whining that if their "base" came out in force they didn't need anyone else to win the presidency. i don't think that's working out so well for them at this moment.

. i've seen no evidence of anything but her continuing to work and plug away and try to grab the voters skeeved by donald.

And I think we'll have a liberal president before we have another Republican president. We'll have taken the middle road for 16 years by the time 2024 rolls around and the electorate will be itching for change. A new Liberal Party would have a lot more to offer than the candidate and platform of an ancient, stodgy Republican Party.

Forum List

Back