Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I just like to vote, it validates my existence

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Do you assume a persons gender on the forum?

I ask this because...I was replying to a post by g5000 ...and I started to say I knew he was a smart guy...then had to stop. Is g5000 a guy? I don't know. I assumed so. Why did I assume so?

Now, I've been around the forum for a while, and g5000 and I have interacted on many occasions, so perhaps I picked up social cues, writing styles, or perhaps he/she/they came out and stated their gender which I processed on an unconscious level. But it did grab my attention.

So, here's my question...do you assume the gender of posters? Have you every been wrong? Have you been surprised? Have youbeen surprised by the reasons you made certain assumptions?

Does it matter? Since I will never meet any of you how does your gender mean anything to me except to know what to call you? Or perhaps to evaluate what topic you are talking about. I am a GUY by the way.

I have been wrong a couple times
Im still wondering what gender dot com is as it has admitted to being both. I would ask matthew, but he will need a couple more decades to find out.

I ask this because...I was replying to a post by g5000 ...and I started to say I knew he was a smart guy...then had to stop. Is g5000 a guy? I don't know. I assumed so. Why did I assume so?

Now, I've been around the forum for a while, and g5000 and I have interacted on many occasions, so perhaps I picked up social cues, writing styles, or perhaps he/she/they came out and stated their gender which I processed on an unconscious level. But it did grab my attention.

So, here's my question...do you assume the gender of posters? Have you every been wrong? Have you been surprised? Have youbeen surprised by the reasons you made certain assumptions?
I also assume G is a guy, based on his military service back in the day -- which is wrong to assume, I know. But also his aggressive approach and some of the things he says he's done, like punching a few nazi's in the face. A woman could definitely be/do all those things, so I shouldn't have assumed. Can we ask him? (See, I'm still assuming.)
When I was new here, I got all bent out of shape at Dale the conspiracy nut for implying he was going to stick his _____ in Pogo's vagina. Then Pogo came on and told me he's a guy; Dale explained it was just a sexual slur calling Pogo a "pussy."
I've guessed wrong lots of times. If it's a racist asshole, I assume it's a guy. That is totally unfounded. LOL

Our language needs a gender neutral pronoun, not just for transexuals, but for anonymous message boards.

I also assume G is a guy, based on his military service back in the day -- which is wrong to assume, I know. But also his aggressive approach and some of the things he says he's done, like punching a few nazi's in the face. A woman could definitely be/do all those things, so I shouldn't have assumed. Can we ask him? (See, I'm still assuming.)
When I was new here, I got all bent out of shape at Dale the conspiracy nut for implying he was going to stick his _____ in Pogo's vagina. Then Pogo came on and told me he's a guy; Dale explained it was just a sexual slur calling Pogo a "pussy."
I've guessed wrong lots of times. If it's a racist asshole, I assume it's a guy. That is totally unfounded. LOL

Our language needs a gender neutral pronoun, not just for transexuals, but for anonymous message boards.
Good gawd you are a misandrist how do you live with yourself?

I don't know what a misandrist is; is it fun?

Prejudice against males.

We already have a gender neutral pronoun for message board posters. We're called retards.

Prejudice against males.
I like males, but yeah, certain behaviors equate to "unladylike" with me, being ancient and all.

Prejudice against males.
I like males, but yeah, certain behaviors equate to "unladylike" with me, being ancient and all.
I assume most misogynists arent queers..

I myself have done it with no worries. However thinking g5000 is smart? You need to think some more.

The inclusion of that subjective assessment in this post was no accident. In fact, it was that very link that initially caught me up short. Was it my preception of g5000 as an intelligent poster that informed my assumption that he was male?

The answer is...probably not. As OldLady reminded me in her insightful post...I did know about g5000's military service, and semi-aggressive posting style.

But it never hurts to do some personal introspection on motivations and perceptions.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back