Fossil Fuel Free In Ten Years

Republicans are such pussies. Whaaa!!! Alternative energy is hard!!!

We have to start somewhere. T. Boone has the right idea, but he can't do it alone. We need a massive effort along the lines of the Manhatten Project. It can be done.

And while the research is done we deal with the problem in the short term with drilling to become less dependent on foreign oil

Wind, Wave Energy, Geo-Thermal etc is not viable in the amount of energy we have to produce at the current time or in the near future... something YOU cannot get thru your head

Produce more on alternative energies that ARE viable now, INCLUDING NUKE... research technology MORE and gain the needed advances to make wind and other alternatives viable in the quantities that we need... research alternative motor fuels that are viable and do not require reducing the food supply... embrace synthetic lubricants, as many of us already do in things such as Mobil1 Synthetic as a motor oil.....

game, set, match

Why do you lie? I never said I was an enviromentalist. I am for America first. I believe in drilling, wind power, solar power, algae based ethanol, and conservation.

No habitat will be lost. Have you ever been to the Midwest and the West. There are millions of acres of open land. Space will not be a problem.

I live in the midwest. I therefore have to assume you're an elitiest east or west coaster who really doesn't give two shits about what's in between. I enjoy the midwest exactley because there is so much space, I enjoy it because there are huge chunks of uncut wilderness and I for one don't care to see it covered in windmills.

You're no habitat will be lost argument is ridiculous unless you are unable to grasp the concept of time and space. If you erect something where nothing accept plant and animal life once was you have taken up habitat, not a difficult concept.

You are offering the strangest argument against wind power I have ever seen. The Danes, who have a tiny percentage of the useable land that we do, already get 20% of their energy from wind power.

They don't have the people either and therefore don't need as much space to accomplish that. Again, apples and oranges.

I live in the midwest. I therefore have to assume you're an elitiest east or west coaster who really doesn't give two shits about what's in between. I enjoy the midwest exactley because there is so much space, I enjoy it because there are huge chunks of uncut wilderness and I for one don't care to see it covered in windmills.

You're no habitat will be lost argument is ridiculous unless you are unable to grasp the concept of time and space. If you erect something where nothing accept plant and animal life once was you have taken up habitat, not a difficult concept.

They don't have the people either and therefore don't need as much space to accomplish that. Again, apples and oranges.

T. Boone is already doing it. Let's give him some help.

T. Boone is already doing it. Let's give him some help.

Help him by what? Covering are open areas with wind turbines? What a marvelous idea.

and You still haven't answered the question. Why would you want to plow over habitat, farmland, or just land for a bunch of monstroties that we would have to build vast quantities of to meet the same needs and are less reliabe?

Help him by what? Covering are open areas with wind turbines? What a marvelous idea.

and You still haven't answered the question. Why would you want to plow over habitat, farmland, or just land for a bunch of monstroties that we would have to build vast quantities of to meet the same needs and are less reliabe?

I think you are the enviromental wacko.

Wind turbines create clean AMERICAN energy.

They are not "monstroties."

I think you are the enviromental wacko.

Wind turbines create clean AMERICAN energy.

They are not "monstroties."

That is a mater of opinion and again you refuse to ackknowledge the downside of your plan.

1) The amount of land it would require

and

2) that it is less reliable and difficult to store efficientely.

No one is dening that it is clean. It is a simple FACT. Land needs to be used to build them and to meet our power needs an awful lot of them would need to be built which equate to an awful lot of land. So again if you are okay with that type of inefficient land use, farmland use, habitat destruction, whatever, just say so.

That is a mater of opinion and again you refuse to ackknowledge the downside of your plan.

1) The amount of land it would require

That is an absurd objection, I think.

and

2) that it is less reliable and difficult to store efficientely.

No. It is not less reliable. Of course it does not solve the entire problem, wind power is merely part of the overall solution. Combined with nuclear, and other sources it decreases the number of power plants needed overall.

No one is dening that it is clean. It is a simple FACT. Land needs to be used to build them and to meet our power needs an awful lot of them would need to be built which equate to an awful lot of land. So again if you are okay with that type of inefficient land use, farmland use, habitat destruction, whatever, just say so.

Again with the it will take too much land objection?

The lower 48 states have over 3,000,000 square miles of land.

I think we can squeeze in at least one wind generator per square mile, don't you? I could put five or six on them on my two acres and still farm that land, exactly as I do now.

At oen generator per square mile we would have over 3,000,000 wind generators, sport.

Each one would add some significant amount of energy to the grid.

Last edited:

I think we can squeeze in at least one wind generator per square mile, don't you? I could put five or six on them on my two acres and still farm that land, exactly as I do now.

At oen generator per square mile we would have over 3,000,000 wind generators, sport.

I guess it's the outdoorsman, conservationist in me. I just have absoluty no desire to see pristine vistas and habitat broken up by wind mills.

Last edited:
That is an absurd objection, I think.

and

No. It is not less reliable. Of course it does not solve the entire problem, wind power is merely part of the overall solution. Combined with nuclear, and other sources it decreases the number of power plants needed overall.

Uhhh... not all land is the proper area for efficient wind power... but nice try... we won't get anywhere close to 1 per square mile, it is simply not practical.... wind farms are the best use for wind power... and again, it is simply not viable as anything close to a complete solution and certainly not any way to get us off of ANY oil in the near term...

Am I against the creation of some new wind farms? Hell no... I would love to see some go in in remote areas where it is viable to do so... just as I would love to see new nuke plants constructed, just as I would love to see some solar farms, just as I would like to see additional hydro-electric dams put in where feasible.... as I would like to see increased American drilling while we research even more energy options to make them viable in the quantities we need....

As stated SO many times... we need to focus on all aspects.... alternatives for the long term and increased use of some existing alternatives AND increased drilling in the near term... and of course, encouragement of increased efficiency in energy technologies (not scolding people for leaving a light on or threatening them because they use a standard light bulb or having an energy gestapo there to bring you up on charges because you keep your thermostat at 73 for heat in the winter instead of 66)....

Uhhh... not all land is the proper area for efficient wind power... but nice try... we won't get anywhere close to 1 per square mile, it is simply not practical.... wind farms are the best use for wind power... and again, it is simply not viable as anything close to a complete solution and certainly not any way to get us off of ANY oil in the near term...

Am I against the creation of some new wind farms? Hell no... I would love to see some go in in remote areas where it is viable to do so... just as I would love to see new nuke plants constructed, just as I would love to see some solar farms, just as I would like to see additional hydro-electric dams put in where feasible.... as I would like to see increased American drilling while we research even more energy options to make them viable in the quantities we need....

As stated SO many times... we need to focus on all aspects.... alternatives for the long term and increased use of some existing alternatives AND increased drilling in the near term... and of course, encouragement of increased efficiency in energy technologies (not scolding people for leaving a light on or threatening them because they use a standard light bulb or having an energy gestapo there to bring you up on charges because you keep your thermostat at 73 for heat in the winter instead of 66)....

The Danes already get 20% of their energy from wind power. Are the Danes smarter than us?

General Electric makes the turbines right here in America. Let's get to work and do what T. Boone says. The last three letters of American are "I can."

The Danes already get 20% of their energy from wind power. Are the Danes smarter than us?

General Electric makes the turbines right here in America. Let's get to work and do what T. Boone says. The last three letters of American are "I can."

Going off on another tangent...?

General Electric makes turbines... but it is not feasible for the amount of energy we need... our needs and our land are much different than the Danes...

but nice try

Going off on another tangent...?

General Electric makes turbines... but it is not feasible for the amount of energy we need... our needs and our land are much different than the Danes...

but nice try

It is not feasible? Bullshit. THE DANES HAVE ALREADY DONE IT, and T. Boone is doing it here. If we took the $700 billion dollars we wasted in Iraq, and spent it on wind power, solar power, and algae based ethanol, we would be well on our way to American energy independence.

It is not feasible? Bullshit. THE DANES HAVE ALREADY DONE IT, and T. Boone is doing it here. If we took the $700 billion dollars we wasted in Iraq, and spent it on wind power, solar power, and algae based ethanol, we would be well on our way to American energy independence.

For the love of god would you stop comparing things that aren't comparable. Is there no logic part of your brain at all that says maybe a country that is a 50th of our size and a fraction of the power needs might not be the best comparison in the world?

For the love of god would you stop comparing things that aren't comparable. Is there no logic part of your brain at all that says maybe a country that is a 50th of our size and a fraction of the power needs might not be the best comparison in the world?

No--science has proven him illogical. :lol:

Is there no logic in your brain that says that the richest country in the world with the largest industrial production, and the greatest amount of usable land can't build enough wind turbines to help power America?

Are you so dumb that you can't realize that the thing that is holding us back are the corporate lobbyists for the coal and oil companies? Are you really this clueless???

Is there no logic in your brain that says that the richest country in the world with the largest industrial production, and the greatest amount of usable land can't build enough wind turbines to help power America?

Are you so dumb that you can't realize that the thing that is holding us back are the corporate lobbyists for the coal and oil companies? Are you really this clueless???

Kirk--start building a big ass windmill in you're yard--free energy.

It seems you also don't have the ability to directly answer a single criticism. Your post was somehow trying to draw the analogy that if Denmark can do it, America can too, nevermind some major variable differences. When called on it, instead of owning up to your BS, you change the subject.

What we have the ability to do and what we should do are two different things. Again I ask why do you want our countery side dotted with millions of eyesores? For the sake of clean energy? You STILL fail to address the negatives and logistics of such a major undertaking. You have this dream that all we have to do is build a bunch of windmills, problem solved. You fruitcakes are all talk. But when it comes to figuring out how to actually DO something you're fucking clueless.

It seems you also don't have the ability to directly answer a single criticism. Your post was somehow trying to draw the analogy that if Denmark can do it, America can too, nevermind some major variable differences. When called on it, instead of owning up to your BS, you change the subject.

What we have the ability to do and what we should do are two different things. Again I ask why do you want our countery side dotted with millions of eyesores? For the sake of clean energy? You STILL fail to address the negatives and logistics of such a major undertaking. You have this dream that all we have to do is build a bunch of windmills, problem solved. You fruitcakes are all talk. But when it comes to figuring out how to actually DO something you're fucking clueless.

It is already being done by the Danes and T. Boone Pickens.

Insulting me will not change that reality.

It is already being done by the Danes and T. Boone Pickens.

Insulting me will not change that reality.

Dudes you're not even listening are you. Repeating the same thing over and over and over and over does not bolster or prove your point especially when the points you make are as poor as yours. FOr the Nteenth time there is no logic in the notion that because it works for Denmark that it will work here. GET THIS THROUGH YOUR SKULL. THAT DOES NOT WORK AS AN ARGUMENT. How old are you? Cause you have to be so young that you just don't get how to put an argument together or how to recognize it's holes. Your opinions are your opinions but for God's sake if you're gonna spend time around here learn how to be put together a logical, rationale argument.

Forum List

Back