Fox News and talk radio brainwashed my dad

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Yes. I know it's a very incendiary title. I'm not sure - okay, I believe her father has mental issues, underlying issues that affected how things transpired.

I may be wrong.

Fox News and talk radio brainwashed my dad - Salon.com

ROC:How exactly did his behavior change?

JS: When I was growing up my dad seemed to love everybody. I never heard any kind of talk against any race or ethnicity. He was funny and goofy and talked to anybody….When I was in college I knew a lot of gays, and he was friendly and even gregarious and even thought them “cultured.” He wasn’t prejudiced at all. It wasn’t until later that he underwent a radical change.

I remember one time in particular when we went to New York to go to Radio City Music Hall. A black homeless man asked him for money. My father called him sir and gave him money. That is imprinted on my memory. When my dad changed, he became obsessive. He got angrier. After he retired, he would sit in the kitchen and eat his lunch and listen to Rush Limbaugh for three full hours a day. God forbid you interrupt Rush. He tried to inject his political views into any conversation he had, with anybody. Around Christmas-time (not just on Christmas Day) he would be sure to shout “Merry Christmas” to anyone and everyone, because he believed that liberals were engaging in a war on Christmas.

He believed it when Rush Limbaugh told him that climate change is a hoax. He called Al Gore an “asshole” even after watching the entire An Inconvenient Truth—by then he could not be moved. He also would compliment smokers on smoking. When we would go to a restaurant and people sat outside to smoke, he would take a deep breath and exclaim how good it smelled.

This was because Rush Limbaugh told him that the scientists were lying about the findings about smoking—oh, and those greedy scientists just wanted funding money and that’s why they were perpetrating this myth about climate change being caused by humans. You couldn’t argue with him. He was one angry, whirling, right-wing dervish. He even got mail from and gave money to the NRA though never owned a gun in his life. My mother found he wrote all these checks to various right-wing causes.

Now, having read further - it would appear her father somehow snapped out of it.

Apparently, he's been de-programmed.

Very interesting concept she has.

hmmm when mom first started down hill...bush was president .....yes its bushs fault..lol..and she hated bush....to the point of saying things in public...ie...i wished someone would kill that sob...in public being the base exchange..she watched only cnn at that time....now she watches fox and hates obama....but she has true dementia issues....the other day...i was there and she had on a religious stations...but i cant remember my mother being 'nice' generous yes...but not nice

I am not surprised at all. I believe the whole climate of America has changed due to so many people listening to people like Limbaugh. The depth of partisanship is partly due to people like him, in the media, preaching hate and anger, dispersing propaganda and lies. Whether or not Limbaugh and the like believe what they say or not, I don't know, but they make a lot of money doing it, and that's really all they care about, bottom line: fame and fortune. They don't do it for truth or for the betterment of the country. I can see how people with weak minds are deeply influenced by those of the Limbaugh ilk.

hmmm when mom first started down hill...bush was president .....yes its bushs fault..lol..and she hated bush....to the point of saying things in public...ie...i wished someone would kill that sob...in public being the base exchange..she watched only cnn at that time....now she watches fox and hates obama....but she has true dementia issues....the other day...i was there and she had on a religious stations...but i cant remember my mother being 'nice' generous yes...but not nice

I think being influenced by political media 'preachers' is similar to being influenced by radical, fanatic religious preachers.

Last edited:
i think most older people tend to get a wee bit more religious as they age....i am not gonna clash with her over her watching jesus tv or gop tv....i pick my battles and the woman has never voted in her life...considers it below her

i think most older people tend to get a wee bit more religious as they age....i am not gonna clash with her over her watching jesus tv or gop tv....i pick my battles and the woman has never voted in her life...considers it below her

In real life, as opposed to online, I rarely talk politics or religion, unless we agree. It's not worth it.

But, when I was growing up, my mom was a Democrat and my dad was a Republican. If they had disagreements (they were both regular voters), they were mild. Today, the climate has completely changed and is full of anger and venom. Not at all good for the country, and, imo, due to the radio and TV hustlers of political partisanship.

Last edited:
Yes. I know it's a very incendiary title. I'm not sure - okay, I believe her father has mental issues, underlying issues that affected how things transpired.

I may be wrong.

JS: When I was growing up my dad seemed to love everybody. I never heard any kind of talk against any race or ethnicity. He was funny and goofy and talked to anybody….When I was in college I knew a lot of gays, and he was friendly and even gregarious and even thought them “cultured.” He wasn’t prejudiced at all. It wasn’t until later that he underwent a radical change.

I remember one time in particular when we went to New York to go to Radio City Music Hall. A black homeless man asked him for money. My father called him sir and gave him money. That is imprinted on my memory. When my dad changed, he became obsessive. He got angrier. After he retired, he would sit in the kitchen and eat his lunch and listen to Rush Limbaugh for three full hours a day. God forbid you interrupt Rush. He tried to inject his political views into any conversation he had, with anybody. Around Christmas-time (not just on Christmas Day) he would be sure to shout “Merry Christmas” to anyone and everyone, because he believed that liberals were engaging in a war on Christmas.

He believed it when Rush Limbaugh told him that climate change is a hoax. He called Al Gore an “asshole” even after watching the entire An Inconvenient Truth—by then he could not be moved. He also would compliment smokers on smoking. When we would go to a restaurant and people sat outside to smoke, he would take a deep breath and exclaim how good it smelled.

This was because Rush Limbaugh told him that the scientists were lying about the findings about smoking—oh, and those greedy scientists just wanted funding money and that’s why they were perpetrating this myth about climate change being caused by humans. You couldn’t argue with him. He was one angry, whirling, right-wing dervish. He even got mail from and gave money to the NRA though never owned a gun in his life. My mother found he wrote all these checks to various right-wing causes.

Now, having read further - it would appear her father somehow snapped out of it.

So disrespectful.

So Progressive.

I am not surprised at all. I believe the whole climate of America has changed due to so many people listening to people like Limbaugh. The depth of partisanship is partly due to people like him, in the media, preaching hate and anger, dispersing propaganda and lies. Whether or not Limbaugh and the like believe what they say or not, I don't know, but they make a lot of money doing it, and that's really all they care about, bottom line: fame and fortune. They don't do it for truth or for the betterment of the country. I can see how people with weak minds are deeply influenced by those of the Limbaugh ilk.

I think being influenced by political media 'preachers' is similar to being influenced by radical, fanatic religious preachers.

$10 says this person likes Rachel Maddow and doesn't think she lies at all!

Any takers?

In real life, as opposed to online, I rarely take politics or religion, unless we agree. It's not worth it.

That might be why you are so ineffective at having any conversation with anyone who disagrees with you.

Sad.

But go ahead and blame the other side for the increased partisanship.

Any takers?

And there you go making my point. Thank you. I don't even know who Rachel Maddow is. I have never watched Rachel Maddow. I never, never watch political programs on television. Never, only straight newsl It is people like you I'm talking about. Completely influenced by these people, you have become totally partisan in your view of reality. Everything and everyone is either right or left, conservative or liberal. You live in a vacuum with a two dimensional view of reality. You're missing out on 90% of reality. And you're pissed off and angry with everyone who is what you perceive to be a 'liberal' and believe such people have no independent thinking and are only influenced by what influences you, TV and radio talking heads. Your brain is mush because you see reality from such a completely limited view point. I never even heard of Rachel Maddow until I started posting on this board. I know about Rush Limbaugh from having heard of him and reading bits and pieces of what he's said. Any other, no idea who they are other than hearing their names and maybe reading bits and pieces of what they say, both right and left, on this board. I have no interest in listening to any of them and never will.

Last edited:
So...if you don't watch political programs, how can you form an intelligent opinion about shows "like Limbaugh's"?

I think you're lying. Or stupid. Probably both. Which means you are, without a question, progressive.

Any takers?

And there you go making my point. Thank you. I don't even know who Rachel Maddow is. I have never watched Rachel Maddow. I never, never watch political programs on television. Never, only straight newsl It is people like you I'm talking about. Completely influenced by these people, you have become totally partisan in your view of reality. Everything and everyone is either right or left, conservative or liberal. You live in a vacuum with a two dimensional view of reality. You're missing out on 90% of reality. And you're pissed off and angry with everyone who is what you perceive to be a 'liberal' and believe such people have no independent thinking and are only influenced by what influences you, TV and radios talking heads.

You are a fool if you stand by that statement. While I'm fiscally conservative, that's as far to the right as I go and I enjoy the company of many many people who happen to not agree with me on that political view.

You don't know who Rachel Maddow is? You're the one living in a vacuum.

So...if you don't watch political programs, how can you form an intelligent opinion about shows "like Limbaugh's"?

I think you're lying. Or stupid. Probably both. Which means you are, without a question, progressive.

You also make my point. You are both making my point, so perfectly and so completely. I don't need to watch someone like Limbaugh more than a few moments to see what he is all about. It doesn't take much intelligence. I am definitely not lying. And your claim that if someone is lying and/or stupid, that means they are a progressive: this is exactly the kind of thing one picks up from media people like Limbaugh. Either or thinking, hate, simple mindedness, whether from the left or the right, it doesn't matter.

Any takers?

You know..................I'm a person who does watch Ms. Maddow on occasion, and I can tell you that she gets her facts straight over 95 percent of the time, because if I hear something on her show, I try to verify it with other news sources (like the BBC). On the rare occasion she gets something wrong, she tries to correct it as soon as she can.

As far as her only loving the left? If that's the truth, then why was it she had Rand Paul on her show just before he got elected? She's also asked for many other right wing types to show up and explain their views, but not many have been willing.

Face it..................Republicans are scared of facts, and hate it when they can't spew their talking points and have to back up their claims with truth.

I also remember when she interviewed some idiot in the Pacific NW (either Oregon or Washington) who was a far right wing foamer, and she had to explain to him (he claimed to be a scientist) how delay times worked out when you're talking live with someone across the country and the signal is being bounced off a satellite in space.

Nope..............sorry..................Ms. Maddow is pretty gracious and will talk with ANYONE, only problem is, she won't be bullshitted, because before she asks the questions, she's already checked out the facts of the story.

I feel sorry for those who hate her, she's got a pretty decent show. So does Chris Hayes and Lawrence O'Donnell.

I may be wrong.

So disrespectful.

So Progressive.

Hmm. I went right down the middle of the road. Didn't take any shots, asked for opinions.

You decided I was disrespectful and that can only be Progressive.

You're not worth interacting with. I'll just note that your bullshit has been duly noted, and step on around it.

Any takers?

And there you go making my point. Thank you. I don't even know who Rachel Maddow is. I have never watched Rachel Maddow. I never, never watch political programs on television. Never, only straight newsl It is people like you I'm talking about. Completely influenced by these people, you have become totally partisan in your view of reality. Everything and everyone is either right or left, conservative or liberal. You live in a vacuum with a two dimensional view of reality. You're missing out on 90% of reality. And you're pissed off and angry with everyone who is what you perceive to be a 'liberal' and believe such people have no independent thinking and are only influenced by what influences you, TV and radios talking heads.

You are a fool if you stand by that statement. While I'm fiscally conservative, that's as far to the right as I go and I enjoy the company of many many people who happen to not agree with me on that political view.

LMAO Not knowing who Rachel Maddow is, or who any other American media, political talking head is means nothing, not in the wider world, not in a broader sense of reality. These people are nobodies, just media mouth pieces on American television. America is not the center of the universe.

Any takers?

And there you go making my point. Thank you. I don't even know who Rachel Maddow is. I have never watched Rachel Maddow. I never, never watch political programs on television. Never, only straight newsl It is people like you I'm talking about. Completely influenced by these people, you have become totally partisan in your view of reality. Everything and everyone is either right or left, conservative or liberal. You live in a vacuum with a two dimensional view of reality. You're missing out on 90% of reality. And you're pissed off and angry with everyone who is what you perceive to be a 'liberal' and believe such people have no independent thinking and are only influenced by what influences you, TV and radio talking heads. Your brain is mush because you see reality from such a completely limited view point. I never even heard of Rachel Maddow until I started posting on this board. I know about Rush Limbaugh from having heard of him and reading bits and pieces of what he's said. Any other, no idea who they are other than hearing their names and maybe reading bits and pieces of what they say, both right and left, on this board. I have no interest in listening to any of them and never will.

So says the person that claims to NEVER watches or listens to political shows, NEVER, only straight news, however she knows how "people like Limbaugh" are thinking and what they are like and they are evil. She even knows they are dispersing hate and anger. And having in her words "never" watching, she knows they influence the weak minded. Sounds like someone is being a partisan divider.

I rarely listen to political talk radio, on the left or right, but I know enough that Esmeralda is full of crap. I don't hear hate on Limbaugh or Hannity, I hear some twists and misleading statements, just like I hear on Maddow, or Rhodes. I have heard Rhodes wanting the death of Bush, never heard Limbaugh or Hannity saying that about Obama. So, if you don't know, how can you offer an opinion, if you "never" listen, all you get is a filtered opinion. Talk about weak minds being influenced.

Any takers?

So says the person that claims to NEVER watches or listens to political shows, NEVER, only straight news, however she knows how "people like Limbaugh" are thinking and what they are like and they are evil. She even knows they are dispersing hate and anger. And having in her words "never" watching, she knows they influence the weak minded. Sounds like someone is being a partisan divider.

I rarely listen to political talk radio, on the left or right, but I know enough that Esmeralda is full of crap. I don't hear hate on Limbaugh or Hannity, I hear some twists and misleading statements, just like I hear on Maddow, or Rhodes. I have heard Rhodes wanting the death of Bush, never heard Limbaugh or Hannity saying that about Obama. So, if you don't know, how can you offer an opinion, if you "never" listen, all you get is a filtered opinion. Talk about weak minds being influenced.

Yeah, speaking of weak minds, how YOU doin?

Any takers?

Please note: all of you are assuming I am referring to right wing media people, though I have never said so. I referred to Limbaugh because he seems to be the most famous or most often mentioned and the one I know about the most because of that. However, I did not at any time say these media preachers of partisanship are only right wing. You are the ones making that assumption. I don't know who Rhodes is or Hannity or any of these people are. Never listen to them. Have only heard of Hannity on here and Rhodes never before.

As far as making judgment about them when I don't listen to them: it doesn't take more than a grain of intelligence to realize what these people are all about when you read about them here. They are media people who interpret political events: I don't need anyone to interpret those events for me: I do it myself from watching straight news, whether it is left or right doing it. When a newsperson starts talking about what something means rather than what happened, I turn them off, change the channel, whatever. I can't imagine how anyone can think they are getting unbiased information from anyone of any ilk who is telling them how to interpret events.

For example, if the President gives a State of the Union address, and then some 'news' person comes on and starts explaining what he said, I turn him off. I figure out for myself what was said; I don't need it explained to me or interpreted for me: you all should try it sometime.

Last edited:

LMAO Not knowing who Rachel Maddow is, or who any other American media, political talking head is means nothing, not in the wider world, not in a broader sense of reality. These people are nobodies, just media mouth pieces on American television. America is not the center of the universe.

Funny - are you wondering like I am, how many of them actually read the article word-for-word and to the end?

I'm guessing 'none', since they are busily attacking you as opposed to discussing the subject at hand. Wonder why that is? You would think it would be easy enough to attack the premise and the author.

Forum List

Back