Francis Keys bridge hit by ship. Bridge collapses, mass casualty event.

As pilots we're taught to line up on the runway well ahead of landing. Perhaps if the cargo ship had lined up on the center channel well ahead it might have coasted right through without hitting anything when it lost power. Just an afterthought.

Water and air both have currents

Pilots still fight air currents despite how far ahead they line up. Captains still fight water currents that could push the freighter in any direction (as I don't know the water currents in that bay).

Pilots still fight air currents despite how far ahead they line up. Captains still fight water currents that could push the freighter in any direction (as I don't know the water currents in that bay).
From what I understand there was a 4 to 6 knot wind during more or less slack tide. Plenty enough wind for a sail effect under a power loss.

That's what happened with the cargo ship that blocked the Suez Canal for so long.

Did the pilot speak English fluently or was she a diversity hire?

• Winner
Reactions: Ava
As pilots we're taught to line up on the runway well ahead of landing. Perhaps if the cargo ship had lined up on the center channel well ahead it might have coasted right through without hitting anything when it lost power. Just an afterthought.
A similar comparison would be an airliner losing all power while shooting an approach on a gusty day. Not just engine power, but everything.

The wind and current both affect a ship in the water, and those container ships are very high profile when stacked with containers like that, which gives it a sail effect. Since the ship was outbound, most of the containers were probably empty too, which would have made the ship even more susceptible to the forces of the wind and current.

In most cases there is supposed to be a harbor pilot on board that's actually in command of the vessel until the ship clears the harbor too. It will be interesting to find out if this was the case or not, and if not, why not.

1711545240789.png

• Funny
Reactions: Ava
Without power a pilot has zero control and communication was excellent.

The bridge was closed within minutes

Biden said the federal government will pay for the rebuild. “It's my intention that the federal government will pay for the entire cost of reconstructing that bridge and I expect the Congress to support my effort," Biden said, speaking from the White House ahead of a trip to North Carolina.

Ah, if it's all the same to you, Mr. Potato Head, let's have the insurance companies do their investigations before you spend my money on this.

They will (the insurance companies that is). But that will take years of investigation and litigation.

The comments is for immediate funding to get the bridge to be rebuilt and so the insurance companies will pay later.

WW

They will (the insurance companies that is). But that will take years of investigation and litigation.

The comments is for immediate funding to get the bridge to be rebuilt and so the insurance companies will pay later.

WW
That would make sense if that's what he said, but it isn't.

... The real heroes here are whoever stopped traffic in the road before the ship struck. .....
And some people here are more concerned with their immigration status than the fact that they died trying to save others by warning them off the bridge or turning them around.

And some people here are more concerned with their immigration status than the fact that they died trying to save others by warning them off the bridge or turning them around.
That was their job. They were told to stop traffic, and that's what they tried to do. It's not like they made this call on gut instinct. Christ...

Forum List

Back