Francis Keys bridge hit by ship. Bridge collapses, mass casualty event.

Without power a pilot has zero control and communication was excellent.

The bridge was closed within minutes
I heard a snippet yesterday that said there was a road crew on the bridge doing repairs that was notified there was a problem prior to the strike that actually stopped traffic on the end of the bridge they were working on before it collapsed.

Don't know if that true or not, I have tried to verify it.

We know how to build bridges in America
Maybe. But this bridge here reminded me of my childhood construction set of aluminum strips with holes that had to be screwed into different structures... In my unprofessional opinion, the bridge supports should be made of reinforced concrete.
BTW, I think this is the pilot that was driving the ship

Did the pilot speak English fluently or was she a diversity hire?
It's a legitimate question.

The Sri Lanka-bound container ship Dali was chartered by Maersk and operated by a Singapore-based group.

That group is allegedly very WOKE! Could well have been a DEI hire. Have they found the pilot yet? Why did Biden rush to the mic to address the catastrophe? Not like him. What is he covering up?

It's a legitimate question.

The Sri Lanka-bound container ship Dali was chartered by Maersk and operated by a Singapore-based group.

That group is allegedly very WOKE! Could well have been a DEI hire. Have they found the pilot yet? Why did Biden rush to the mic to address the catastrophe? Not like him. What is he covering up?
:slap:

When was the 1st time power went out on ship after leaving port, and how many additional times did the power go out before crash?
Ship had a total blackout once. The emergency generator started and only brought the emergency lights up. The engines never recovered.

Who is the pilot that was driving the ship?
It had to be a Chesapeakien one, I guess, but who knows, maybe he was one of those Uke lovers who couldn't say no to the Uke captain's request to do him a favor and let him fulfill a life long dream of steering a freighter under the Baltimore Bridge and bammm, here we go:

New evidence has been released:

GJpNVs_WQAAEcG3

Maybe. But this bridge here reminded me of my childhood construction set of aluminum strips with holes that had to be screwed into different structures... In my unprofessional opinion, the bridge supports should be made of reinforced concrete.
BTW, I think this is the pilot that was driving the ship

Again, Clayton says almost the same

• Informative
Reactions: Ava
As pilots we're taught to line up on the runway well ahead of landing. Perhaps if the cargo ship had lined up on the center channel well ahead it might have coasted right through without hitting anything when it lost power. Just an afterthought.
It was in the channel in the correct lane when it lost all power - total blackout. That means no steering, no rudder, no thrust propulsion, etc. There was NOTHING the crew could do to steer the ship. The emergency generator came on, but the engines did not recover; they were dead! They dropped the anchor as instructed and that caused the ship to drift into the path of the bridge support at an angle. Again, there was NOTHING they could do.

Pilots still fight air currents despite how far ahead they line up. Captains still fight water currents that could push the freighter in any direction (as I don't know the water currents in that bay).
What could the crew use to fight the current in the river after they had a total blackout? The ship's engines are dead. There's no steering, no rudder control, etc. Dead!

What could the crew use to fight the current in the river after they had a total blackout? The ship's engines are dead. There's no steering, no rudder control, etc. Dead!

Just spitball'n here...

..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... Oars?

(Really, REALLY long oars to reach the water from the deck.)

WW

They say the captain was a Ukrainian. Is it true or just a hearsay?
That's total BS. Why repeat something like that if you don't know the facts and don't bother to search for them.
I live in Baltimore close to where the bridge is. I've crossed it more than a thousand times.
The pilot at the time was from the Baltimore Port - a requirement for any ship of foreign registration. That man is a US citizen and has been a pilot at the port for well over a decade.

Forum List

Back