"Free State of Jones"; the Confederate flag & why you should pay attention

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
I wanna plea with folks to ignore my politics if you don't Iike them for 1 thread please. I want to bring attention to a movie "Free State of Jones" with Matthew McConahey. It deals with a topic rarely dealt with....anti slavery whites in the Civil War South.

I live in Charleston and am from SC originally and a lot of history here. Very interesting. Let me first say....the Confederate flag SHOULD NOT BE FLOWN. I'm 100% against it because of what it has been used for.

That said....many don't get what it means to SOME. I personally do not own anything with the flag on it.

In the Civil War South....slave owners owned everything. They were the 1%. And...they owned the media. And controlled the churches. Why would white farmers who didn't own slaves...fight for slavery?? Brainwashing. Media and churches convinced them the Union Army wanted to invade to confiscate resources and rape their wives.

That obviously is NOT what it was about. It was about slavery. But....the poor farmers didn't know. AND MANY WERE DRAFTED.

Yes...the Confederate Army used a DRAFT and guess what? Slave owners were EXEMPTED!!!!!! YES. Evil motherfuckers. But they had to convince the peasants to fight....and they did. Media and church.

ANYWAY.....the Confederate flag we all see was a BATTLE FLAG. It was meant to identify fellow units to avoid friendly fire. That's all.

And SOME....emphasize SOME....people throughout Southern family trees saw that flag as a way to honor men who died....and died due to serving the lies of the rich man. Being sent to die to please the rich man. Nothing to do with slaves.

So yes....these days....that flag is most often used for racist intent. No denying that

I just wanted to show this movie and discuss this so when you hear some people say the flag isn't about slavery....for some...it's not. Some long time Southern families see it as a big middle finger to the lies and corruption of the elite. Which...many of us can relate to.

Newton Knight will be portrayed as a hero defying the confederacy.

He was actually a thorough nut job. He had a white legal wife and a black common law wife that lived in separate houses on his farm. He was a cruel and violent man that married his sons and daughters from one wife to the sons and daughters of his other wife.

There is no doubt that this movie will not tell the truth about the Free State of Jones. They will all be brave anti confederates.

You know Bucs, you would have a point if it weren't for a couple of things.

First.............after Lee lost, he said that flag should never be flown again. And, for the most part, it wasn't.

However.................when the Civil Rights movement started back in the 50's, a few southern governors who disagreed with the movement decided that as an act of defiance, they would start flying the Lee Battle Flag again over their state capitols.

Nope, as far as I'm concerned, that particular flag is a symbol of racism and bigotry.

The flag is a symbol of rebellion all over the world. Long may it wave.

Which has nothing to do with the pack of lies this movie is pedaling.

You know Bucs, you would have a point if it weren't for a couple of things.

First.............after Lee lost, he said that flag should never be flown again. And, for the most part, it wasn't.

However.................when the Civil Rights movement started back in the 50's, a few southern governors who disagreed with the movement decided that as an act of defiance, they would start flying the Lee Battle Flag again over their state capitols.

Nope, as far as I'm concerned, that particular flag is a symbol of racism and bigotry.

Oh....please read my post again. I AGREE that it means that now. And to many it always has. General Lee was right about that. He was an "elite" and in-the-know.

What I'm saying....is that to many poor white Southerners who didn't own slaves....it didn't mean that. It meant being lied to...being drafted...and being sent to war....all so the rich plantation owners could stay rich.

It's just a lost part of history that I wanted to raise awareness of. I agree with all you said. Just a more thorough understanding of history is all I'm trying to show.

It's not a more thorough understanding of history. It's history filtered through political correctness as told by the movie studio.

It's not a more thorough understanding of history. It's history filtered through political correctness as told by the movie studio.

Well I haven't studied this particular character much and haven't seen the movie...so I'll hold judgement.

But the story of poor anti slavery white Southerners....many who were drafted into war and forced to fight....should be told.

If you think about it....in 200 years some may see Vietnam like that....poor people drafted to war because rich people wanted to keep capitalism alive (I'm not saying that...but some historians in the future might). And SOME in 200 years may think the Vietnam troops were all dead set on making sure WalMart and McDonald's kept free markets so they could all be rich.

That wouldn't be accurate either....but it's why history should be known.

Everyone on both sides was forced to fight. The majority of southerners didn't own slaves. The northern mills were screwing them just as much as they were the plantation owners.

The civil war was two years in before slavery became a big issue. Slavery continued in the North a full two years after the war was over.

There were anti slavery whites. There really was a free state of Jones, but their primary fight in Jones wasn't slavery. I would say they were fighting for the right to be left alone by everyone. The men hiding out in Jones county weren't principled men championing the cause of interracial romance. They were drunks, criminals and deserters from both armies. The community of mixed race couples founded by Newton Knight did not extend beyond his own two wife family and the children that he married off to the children from his other wife.

If this excites an interest to pursue history beyond the dvd it will be worthwhile.

The flag is a symbol of rebellion all over the world

So is this:

If you think they are one and the same, there is nothing to discuss.

The Confederate Flag will always have a place of honor and respect. When liberals disgrace the Stars and Stripes beyond redemption, the Confederate Flag will still be respected.

Everyone on both sides was forced to fight. The majority of southerners didn't own slaves. The northern mills were screwing them just as much as they were the plantation owners.

The civil war was two years in before slavery became a big issue. Slavery continued in the North a full two years after the war was over.

There were anti slavery whites. There really was a free state of Jones, but their primary fight in Jones wasn't slavery. I would say they were fighting for the right to be left alone by everyone. The men hiding out in Jones county weren't principled men championing the cause of interracial romance. They were drunks, criminals and deserters from both armies. The community of mixed race couples founded by Newton Knight did not extend beyond his own two wife family and the children that he married off to the children from his other wife.

If this excites an interest to pursue history beyond the dvd it will be worthwhile.

That is one point of view.

The Smithsonian did an interesting article about the Free State of Jones- it has the other point of view.

Forum List

Back