Freedom of Religious Opinion? Not If You're Phil Robertson

This is probably where the thread will end, but how is it intolerant of a group of people to not expect that others are going to maim and kill them on the street because they like people of the same sex, or just call them names and threaten them with eternal damnation for being different? If that is the kind of intolerance you are referring to, yeah, they are intolerant - a lot like women are intolerant of rape. A lot like brothers and sisters SHOULD be intolerant of incest. A lot like blacks are intolerant of slavery and discrimination.

What? Are you insinuating that we would "maim and kill" homosexuals on the street? How barbarous. You insist that we SHOULD be tolerant of homosexuality, while instilling no such standard in regards to Christianity amongst yourselves.

My entire family (all 500+ of them) are Catholic. Don't preach to me about tolerance. The fact is that gays are maimed and killed EVERY DAY, and not just in this country! Christians are by far the largest majority in this country, so please don't try to tell me that you are being oppressed. You people controlled the arguments on this continent for nearly 400 years before the government stepped in and said enough is friggin enough. Get over yourselves already. Christians aren't the only people who live here.

You have 500 family members?

Catholics are Christians, dimwit. And why do you insist that Christians in the modern age feel the need to maim or kill homosexuals? Did Jesus not rebuke one of his disciples for cutting off the ear of a Roman guard? No, Christians aren't the only ones living here, naturally, but to say that 2.7% of the population can dictate policy to the other 98.3% is wholly tyrannical. It defeats the purpose of representative government.

Let's stop with all the freedom of religion BS. Like all amendments there are exceptions. You can't scream fired in a crowded room (freedom of speech). You can't slander someone. (freedom of press). You assembly in the middle of a busy road blocking traffic (freedom of Assemby). And of course, freedom of religion has it exceptions also.

Employment Division, Department of Human Resources of Oregon vs. Smith, denied freedom of religion to Indians who said it was their right to take Peyote!

Now I don't think what Phil stated was anywhere near that, but your comments have consequences. Your employer, esp on in the entertainment industry, can fire you over making stupid comments.

Personally I don't think he stated the worst things in the world. Nor do I think he should have been fired. However, don't make this a freedom of speech or religion issue, because it is not.

I would have been if the FCC came in and sanctioned the station and forced the show off the air!

I had a feeling this might have been a set up from the beginning. That's exactly what it was. A&E colluded with GQ to set the whole thing up with a network representative at the interview to make sure it went according to plan.

i was surprised to learn that

A&E put random bleeps in to make look like they

swore once and awhile

the Robertsons made them stop doing that

A&E has tried to make them stop talking about their faith, stop mentioning Jesus and stop with all the guns. That failed. Then the network came up with this solution.

What A&E has to contend with is this: Have they so poisoned the well that there is no way in the world that the family would agree to continue with the show under any circumstances?

In all fairness to [MENTION=42379]Redfish[/MENTION]:

Federalist 10 did address the issues of factionalism, and the detriments it has on the government. By this, he meant the tyranny of the minority. However, he contended that such tendencies should not be allowed to be destroyed, since the essence of our liberty was to be allowed to communicate and coalesce. While the minority is allowed to have equal rights, and while the majority is not allowed to run roughshod over them, they cannot be allowed to determine the absolute course of a country.

true, and those provisions were established by majority vote. My point----right and wrong in a society are established by majority vote or opinion.

With so much time in his schedule, he can definitely work in time to talk out both sides of his mouth.
If he would put this kind of effort into finding a job, the sky's the limit

If you would kindly take the time to postulate an intelligent response instead of resorting to personal attacks, perhaps people like you could recruit more to your causes, namely gay rights.
I could give two shits about they gays. Don't care what two people do behind closed doors. Don't care if they get married, has no effect on my life. But listening to self proclaimed faux libertarians like you does make me ill.

If you would kindly take the time to postulate an intelligent response instead of resorting to personal attacks, perhaps people like you could recruit more to your causes, namely gay rights.
I could give two shits about they gays. Don't care what two people do behind closed doors. Don't care if they get married, has no effect on my life. But listening to self proclaimed faux libertarians like you does make me ill.

Listening to self proclaimed judges of character makes me ill as well.

"No man is allowed to be a judge in his own cause, because his interest would certainly bias his judgment, and, not improbably, corrupt his integrity.

-James Madison, Federalist No. 10

There is no way he is libertarian. If he was, he wouldn't have a problem with A&E suspending or firing Robertson.
He might claim to support the free market, but he really doesn't.
His brain is too full of video games to understand what being a libertarian actually means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For liberals whining about Phil Robertson's comments:

Breaking News, this just in:

1452515_3690260872474_1519761999_n.jpg

Says the guy who started this thread whining about religious intolerance and first amendment rights.

Says the guy yammering about how Robertson's a bigot and a racist. That post was for you [MENTION=20866]Dutch[/MENTION]. There are simply people out there who don't share the same views as you, I suggest you deal with it.

Please share with me the post where I said he was a bigot or racist.

There is no way he is libertarian. If he was, he wouldn't have a problem with A&E suspending or firing Robertson.
He might claim to support the free market, but he really doesn't.
His brain is too full of video games to understand what being a libertarian actually means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You not being a libertarian, but a far left liberal, you don't know anything. So why presume to?

I have made it clear, (even [MENTION=24452]Seawytch[/MENTION] can attest) that while I disagree with homosexuality, I do not begrudge anyone equal protection under the law. What I have a problem with is people playing the thought police, enforcing standards of political correctness on those of opposing viewpoints, and corporations such as A&E using their influence to silence men of faith or anyone else for that matter.

If that isn't libertarian, I don't know what is.

Last edited:
Says the guy who started this thread whining about religious intolerance and first amendment rights.

Says the guy yammering about how Robertson's a bigot and a racist. That post was for you [MENTION=20866]Dutch[/MENTION]. There are simply people out there who don't share the same views as you, I suggest you deal with it.

Please share with me the post where I said he was a bigot or racist.

Sigh, complicity is the highest form of deceit. You didn't have to say anything for me to know you agreed with anyone who said he was a bigot or a racist.

Spare me.

He was. Care to prove he wasn't?

It just isn't fair! A&E should be forced by Eric Holder to reverse the suspension. And anyone who contacted A&E to express their views regarding what the bigot said ought to be fined for intimidation!

Drop your sarcasm.

It makes you sound increasingly immature. People like you asking for tolerance but giving none in return. What country is this? What country is this where one man cannot tolerate the opinion of the other, what country is this where a man can be punished, destroyed, ruined--- all because he had an opinion?

So I guess you started the same thread when Van Jones was let go?

Oh, but we can pass such laws, hate crime legislation is punishment for thoughts.

As they should be.

BEcause usualy hate crimes are a lot more malicious than crimes over property.

Really

case 1------ someone puts a bullet in your head in order to steal your money and cell phone

case 2------ someone puts a bullet in your head because he doesn't like gays.

either way you are dead and the guy is a murderer. Why is one worse than the other?

Or maybe the guy will just cut off your genitalia and shove it where the sun don't shine. Or maybe two guys will attack you, tie you to a fence out in the boonies, beat the crap out of you and leave you to die (like they did to that boy in Montana). Either way, the crimes were done because you are gay. In the cases you cite, case one - an economic crime of desperation. Case two, a hate crime (one that should be a civil rights crime as well). Two different things.

This isn't about the First Amendment or religious freedom. It's about how far a network will go to punish someone who won't fall into line.

The big difference is, Phil Robertson is not an actor who was hired to play a part in a television show. If that's what A&E wanted, they should have issued a casting call and done it with professionals. He can't be punished like an actor would be punished. They chose the wrong person to manipulate by ordinary means.

I had a feeling this might have been a set up from the beginning. That's exactly what it was. A&E colluded with GQ to set the whole thing up with a network representative at the interview to make sure it went according to plan.

Right. It is anyone's fault but the guy who uttered the words. Aren't you right wingers the ones who whine about personal responsibility? I guess that doesn't apply when it's a right winger spouting bigotry, eh?

The Foxnewsation of America....Don't like history? Make up your own

War on Fox News

Since its inception Media Matters for America has incessantly hounded and scrutinized Fox News. Its hoard of paid staffers scrutinizes every aspect of the network. Its corporate officers, hosts, guests, curriculum, financial dealings and so forth. Should Fox fail to dot an i or cross a T Media Matters mongrels salivatiuosly await the opportunity to pounce, and pounce they do. No other mainstream media outlet has ever had to endure the relentless assaults and vindictive attacks endured by Fox.

Media Matters Executive Vice President Angelo Carusone declared in December 2013 The war on Fox is over...And it's not just that it's over, but it was very successful. To a large extent, we won. However what Carusone failed to acknowledge is that Fox News ratings are very strong, in fact stronger than its two primary rivals combined. Media Matters for America

What? Are you insinuating that we would "maim and kill" homosexuals on the street? How barbarous. You insist that we SHOULD be tolerant of homosexuality, while instilling no such standard in regards to Christianity amongst yourselves.

My entire family (all 500+ of them) are Catholic. Don't preach to me about tolerance. The fact is that gays are maimed and killed EVERY DAY, and not just in this country! Christians are by far the largest majority in this country, so please don't try to tell me that you are being oppressed. You people controlled the arguments on this continent for nearly 400 years before the government stepped in and said enough is friggin enough. Get over yourselves already. Christians aren't the only people who live here.

You have 500 family members?

Those are just the ones we have tracked down. And that's just immediate family and spouses. The extended family is much larger than that.

TK said:
Catholics are Christians, dimwit.

No shit? Darn, I never would have guessed. :eusa_eh:

TK said:
And why do you insist that Christians in the modern age feel the need to maim or kill homosexuals?

I have no idea why they feel the need to do so, but they are certainly doing it.

TK said:
Did Jesus not rebuke one of his disciples for cutting off the ear of a Roman guard? No, Christians aren't the only ones living here, naturally, but to say that 2.7% of the population can dictate policy to the other 98.3% is wholly tyrannical. It defeats the purpose of representative government.

Blame Jefferson - "All men are created equal".

Last edited:
The Foxnewsation of America....Don't like history? Make up your own

War on Fox News

Since its inception Media Matters for America has incessantly hounded and scrutinized Fox News. Its hoard of paid staffers scrutinizes every aspect of the network. Its corporate officers, hosts, guests, curriculum, financial dealings and so forth. Should Fox fail to dot an i or cross a T Media Matters mongrels salivatiuosly await the opportunity to pounce, and pounce they do. No other mainstream media outlet has ever had to endure the relentless assaults and vindictive attacks endured by Fox.

Media Matters Executive Vice President Angelo Carusone declared in December 2013 The war on Fox is over...And it's not just that it's over, but it was very successful. To a large extent, we won. However what Carusone failed to acknowledge is that Fox News ratings are very strong, in fact stronger than its two primary rivals combined. Media Matters for America

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back