Freedom of Religious Opinion? Not If You're Phil Robertson

Question:

If a law was passed banning the supposed "religious intolerance and bigotry towards homosexuals" you claim exists, would you support such a law?

In a heartbeat.

Such a law is unconstitutional. Simply because it bans the opinions you deem as "religious intolerance and bigotry." You can't pass laws stopping people from having an opinion. There can be laws against putting those opinions into deleterious action, but otherwise, it would be an egregious overreach by our government. How natural of you to support something like this.

Guy, the Constitution is what we say it is.

Sure, we can't pass a law stopping people from having an opinion, but we can pass one to make that opinion damned uncomfortable to hold.

Hey, on the off chance you ever get a job, try calling a co-worker a "f****t" some time, and see how long you still have a job.

They were. But in this case, you have one side insisting that the other is bigoted, while engaging in public acts of bigotry and intolerance.

This is probably where the thread will end, but how is it intolerant of a group of people to not expect that others are going to maim and kill them on the street because they like people of the same sex, or just call them names and threaten them with eternal damnation for being different? If that is the kind of intolerance you are referring to, yeah, they are intolerant - a lot like women are intolerant of rape. A lot like brothers and sisters SHOULD be intolerant of incest. A lot like blacks are intolerant of slavery and discrimination.

What? Are you insinuating that we would "maim and kill" homosexuals on the street? How barbarous. You insist that we SHOULD be tolerant of homosexuality, while instilling no such standard in regards to Christianity amongst yourselves.

My entire family (all 500+ of them) are Catholic. Don't preach to me about tolerance. The fact is that gays are maimed and killed EVERY DAY, and not just in this country! Christians are by far the largest majority in this country, so please don't try to tell me that you are being oppressed. You people controlled the arguments on this continent for nearly 400 years before the government stepped in and said enough is friggin enough. Get over yourselves already. Christians aren't the only people who live here.

Question:

If a law was passed banning the supposed "religious intolerance and bigotry towards homosexuals" you claim exists, would you support such a law?

In a heartbeat.

Such a law is unconstitutional. Simply because it bans the opinions you deem as "religious intolerance and bigotry." You can't pass laws stopping people from having an opinion. There can be laws against putting those opinions into deleterious action, but otherwise, it would be an egregious overreach by our government. How natural of you to support something like this.

Oh, but we can pass such laws, hate crime legislation is punishment for thoughts.

I think you miss the point. YOu really can't have "equality" or "fairness' with "We won't call it marriage" certificates. By definition, you've established "Separate but equal", which history has proven never really works.

Thats Bullshit, and you know it. Forced social acceptance is what you gays are after, not equality or fairness.

1) Sorry, dude, I'm straight.

2) LEGAL equality is what I think is the right thing to do.

3) Yes, I do want a point where homophobic bigots are hiding their bigotry in shame until it all but vanishes.

:thup:

And here I thought all you ConJobs/NeoNuts/RePugs/TeaHadists were about the "Free Market" System.

A&E, as a Corporation ("Corporations are people my friend") has a right to decide unto themselves what an Employee of their Corporation can say, all about that Corporate Image right?

What this nitwit said offended the Corporation, and therefore the Corporation has a right to muzzle what him.

Corporate Rights and all that.

If you say something your boss does not like, he has the right to shut you up/suspend you/fire you.

A&E is only doing what any Corporation would do.

You guys love Corporations.

Suddendly you dont'.

Hypocrite Much?

No, Corporations are only people when they want to get up in their employees Lady Parts.

They aren't people when they want to fire homophobic hillbillies.

I think you miss the point. YOu really can't have "equality" or "fairness' with "We won't call it marriage" certificates. By definition, you've established "Separate but equal", which history has proven never really works.

Thats Bullshit, and you know it. Forced social acceptance is what you gays are after, not equality or fairness.

3) Yes, I do want a point where homophobic bigots are hiding their bigotry in shame until it all but vanishes.

1. sure you are, so is Elton John
2. legal equality should be provided, the word marriage does not convey legal equality
3. so you do want govt mandated thought control---thanks for confirming.

Last edited:
And here I thought all you ConJobs/NeoNuts/RePugs/TeaHadists were about the "Free Market" System.

A&E, as a Corporation ("Corporations are people my friend") has a right to decide unto themselves what an Employee of their Corporation can say, all about that Corporate Image right?

What this nitwit said offended the Corporation, and therefore the Corporation has a right to muzzle what him.

Corporate Rights and all that.

If you say something your boss does not like, he has the right to shut you up/suspend you/fire you.

A&E is only doing what any Corporation would do.

You guys love Corporations.

Suddendly you dont'.

Hypocrite Much?

No, Corporations are only people when they want to get up in their employees Lady Parts.

They aren't people when they want to fire homophobic hillbillies.

^^^more hate speech from the left, such hypocrisy.

In a heartbeat.

Oh, but we can pass such laws, hate crime legislation is punishment for thoughts.

As they should be.

BEcause usualy hate crimes are a lot more malicious than crimes over property.

might have, who knows? Robert KKK Byrd (D) fillibustered against it. LBJ said "this will guarantee that we get the votes of the ******* for the next 200 years".

How about if we discuss history using historical facts?

That quote quote isn't a historical fact but the vote is.

Bringing up Robert Byrd only cements my point. Thanks.

maybe I didn't get the LBJ quote ver batim, but the meaning is the same. What Byrd did is history, and its fact that he was a democrat. Its also fact that the civil rights act would not have passed without republican support.

I don't care about Byrd nor do I care about the whether or not it would have passed with or without Republican support. That is not what we were talking about. You brought up the people of California voting down gay marriage props. I pointed out that had people in individual States voted on the Civil Rights Act back in the day that it would have been shot down in a bunch of places. The partisan breakdown of the Civil Rights Act does not change the State by State breakdown which is what is germane to the point you yourself brought up. So I think we are done here now.

1. sure you are, so is Elton John
2. legal equality should be provided, the word marriage does not convey legal equality
3. so you do want govt mandated thought control---thanks for confirming.

Guy, you spend an awful lot of time worried about what kind of sex other people are having...

To the point, if marriage has a legal definition that confers rights, those rights and the word should be equally accessable to everyone. The whole "Civil Unions" are just a last, desperate gasp of, "Okay, okay, I know my bigotry is unnacceptable, but PLEASE let me have this last little bit of it, pleeeeease."

Well, we aren't going to let you have it. Sorry.

As they should be.

Really

case 1------ someone puts a bullet in your head in order to steal your money and cell phone

case 2------ someone puts a bullet in your head because he doesn't like gays.

either way you are dead and the guy is a murderer. Why is one worse than the other?

A&E was completely within their rights as a network to terminate him.

The question is not whether it was legal. That was never the issue.

Never the issue? Apparently you haven't heard rightwingers in the media going on about free speech/1st amendment rights. And for that matter, the author of this thread makes it a legal issue.

As I see it the question revolves around whether Robertson was removed by A&E for a contractual violation or due to political correctness.

Since none of has access to his contract, we are unable to address that.

this whole thread is about political correctness and its ramifications on our culture, and whether that is a positive or a negative.

The neo-PC police are on the Right,

as evidenced by the tsunami of attacks FROM the Right on anyone who dared say aloud that they were offended by Phil Robertson's opinions.

That is what this is about.

As they should be.

Really

case 1------ someone puts a bullet in your head in order to steal your money and cell phone

either way you are dead and the guy is a murderer. Why is one worse than the other?

Because, usually, a guy trying to steal my money isn't going to put a bullet in my head unless I resist...

While a guy shooting someone who doesn't like gays is usually going to try to inflict as much pain as he can...

Of course, we could totally solve the problem by not letting people have guns...

I know some of you watch Duck Dynasty and probably heard that Phil Robertson was suspended by A&E for his opinion on homosexuality. He had the gall to quote 1 Corinthians 6:9 and express himself openly about his opposition to gay marriage. Groups like GLAAD came out in support of the suspension. Don't you find it odd that people like Martin Bashir get a pass for their intolerance toward conservative women, but people like Phil Robertson are being targeted for their beliefs?

Should TV Networks silence religious speech for the political sensibilities of others? As most of you were aware, Chick-Fil-A came under similar scrutiny by gay rights organizations for its views on homosexuality last year. The response from the public was overwhelming, as the restaurant experienced booming profits from the ordeal. Suffice it to say, ratings for the show may experience similar results.

Should Phil Robertson be suspended for his comments in GQ? Or should he be allowed to express himself as he is allowed to by the the First Amendment? My personal opinion here is that no TV network should be allowed to censor a man for expressing his religious beliefs.

There have been many instances of people or businesses being targeted for their religious beliefs, all for being "intolerant." Isn't it strange that you can be allowed to be homosexual, but not a person of faith? The real intolerance here, is of those who cannot accept that others aren't forced to tolerate their way of life or their practices. If you are any freedom loving American; Democrat, Republican or Libertarian, you should be disturbed by this recent turn of events.

He has every right to his perspective, his religion, and the effects of his words and actions. Doors and windows close, others open. Christianity teaches us that there are distinctions between Virtuous and Unvirtouos thought, word, action, and inaction, just as it teaches compassion, patience, and tolerance. There is Sin, there is Forgiveness. Christianity does not condone Homosexual action. It is what it is. Get over it.

Were the focus molding all thought to conform to a persons personal will and perspective, and accept a personal list of what is correct thought and action, while penalizing that which refuses to conform to your view, what kind of rule is that?

Should I apologize for what I believe, should it offend someones ego or vanity? Why is that?

As they should be.

Really

I recommend you research the court case that found hate crime legislation constitutional for the court's opinion on what you're asking.

Phil Robertson does he have a lawsuit

Religious Discrimination
Religious discrimination involves treating a person (an applicant or employee) unfavorably because of his or her religious beliefs. The law protects not only people who belong to traditional, organized religions, such as Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, and Judaism, but also others who have sincerely held religious, ethical or moral beliefs.

Religious discrimination can also involve treating someone differently because that person is married to (or associated with) an individual of a particular religion or because of his or her connection with a religious organization or group.

Religious Discrimination

I had a feeling this might have been a set up from the beginning. That's exactly what it was. A&E colluded with GQ to set the whole thing up with a network representative at the interview to make sure it went according to plan.

In all fairness to [MENTION=42379]Redfish[/MENTION]:

Federalist 10 did address the issues of factionalism, and the detriments it has on the government. By this, he meant the tyranny of the minority. However, he contended that such tendencies should not be allowed to be destroyed, since the essence of our liberty was to be allowed to communicate and coalesce. While the minority is allowed to have equal rights, and while the majority is not allowed to run roughshod over them, they cannot be allowed to determine the absolute course of a country.

I had a feeling this might have been a set up from the beginning. That's exactly what it was. A&E colluded with GQ to set the whole thing up with a network representative at the interview to make sure it went according to plan.

i was surprised to learn that

A&E put random bleeps in to make look like they

swore once and awhile

the Robertsons made them stop doing that

Forum List

Back