Freedom of Religious Opinion? Not If You're Phil Robertson

Right. It is anyone's fault but the guy who uttered the words. Aren't you right wingers the ones who whine about personal responsibility? I guess that doesn't apply when it's a right winger spouting bigotry, eh?

The guy who uttered the words didn't make a mistake. He intended to say exactly what he said. He's not apologizing for it either. A&E knew exactly what the questions would be, they had a representative for the network at the interview.

Telling the truth is not bigotry, it is just telling the truth.

Obviously he made a huge mistake, that is, if he wanted to remain on the show. Just because A & E allegedly knew that the questions were doesn't absolve the man for the answers he gave to them. He has a right to look stupid. And anyone has a right to call him on his stupidity.

Telling the truth? So you think that African Americans were all jump with joy happy pre-civil rights? None of the were singing the blues (ahem, despite the fact that they INVENTED the musical genre)? Give me a friggin break. It wasn't the truth. Every response he made to those particular questions was as far from the truth as he could have gotten.

He made no mistake. Phil Robertson said exactly what he intended to say. The family has threatened to pull the show in the past over religious differences. A&E decided to work with GQ to arrange these questions in order to punish Phil Robertson for refusing to agree to the changes they wanted to make.

I grew up in the pre civil rights era. YES black people were much happier in those days, less filled with rage and resentment, less entitled. Not only that, but they were a better people with strong families and safe neighborhoods. It has long puzzled me why black people traded their integrity for a welfare check. After all, Robertson was not making a general commentary on the state of civil rights. He was expressing his personal observations as he worked in the fields side by side with black men. Those men likely went home to wives and children. Something they don't do today. If someone had asked me that same question, I would have answered it the exact same way.

What it is, is that liberals cannot recognize independence when they see it.

No one lives in a vacuum, dude (though some do live on the space station surrounded by vacuum).

Alas, but some minds are vacuums...vacuous, devoid of reasoning.

As demonstrated by a guy who believes that blacks were so happy prior to the civil rights act that they didn't sing the blues (despite the fact that they INVENTED it).

The guy who uttered the words didn't make a mistake. He intended to say exactly what he said. He's not apologizing for it either. A&E knew exactly what the questions would be, they had a representative for the network at the interview.

Obviously he made a huge mistake, that is, if he wanted to remain on the show. Just because A & E allegedly knew that the questions were doesn't absolve the man for the answers he gave to them. He has a right to look stupid. And anyone has a right to call him on his stupidity.

Telling the truth? So you think that African Americans were all jump with joy happy pre-civil rights? None of the were singing the blues (ahem, despite the fact that they INVENTED the musical genre)? Give me a friggin break. It wasn't the truth. Every response he made to those particular questions was as far from the truth as he could have gotten.

He made no mistake. Phil Robertson said exactly what he intended to say. The family has threatened to pull the show in the past over religious differences. A&E decided to work with GQ to arrange these questions in order to punish Phil Robertson for refusing to agree to the changes they wanted to make.

I grew up in the pre civil rights era. YES black people were much happier in those days, less filled with rage and resentment, less entitled. Not only that, but they were a better people with strong families and safe neighborhoods. It has long puzzled me why black people traded their integrity for a welfare check. After all, Robertson was not making a general commentary on the state of civil rights. He was expressing his personal observations as he worked in the fields side by side with black men. Those men likely went home to wives and children. Something they don't do today. If someone had asked me that same question, I would have answered it the exact same way.
To the left? Being gay is like being black...they equate 'gay' with race...it's absurd.

You should post your picture here. No doubt you too have a Zztop beard. Congratulations.

Oh, and what of his comments about the Japanese and gays? Was he right there as well? Or just right - wing!

I'm still trying to figure out when Robertson was choppin' cotton with the coloreds,

before the civil rights era.

btw, he started dating his future wife when she was 14 and he was 18.

This isn't about the First Amendment or religious freedom. It's about how far a network will go to punish someone who won't fall into line.

As far as they legally can go. And usually no further.

KD'The big difference is said:
Who signs his paychecks? Hiring professionals to do the show would defeat the purpose - it was, allegedly, a reality show. But hey, this is as real as it gets, right?

Yes indeed. This is as real as it gets. If A&E wanted "real" but was only as real as they wanted it to be, they chose poorly. Phil Robertson cannot be punished by A&E depriving him of a paycheck. He doesn't care about the paycheck. The family is worth 400 million dollars. Phil Robertson doesn't need that network, but they do need him.

Oh, the continuing hypocrisy of the rw's -

'you can't serve both god and money' - Mathew 6:24

1488647_692813910740477_1741486155_n.jpg

1480693_692716320750236_50114680_n.jpg

1510847_692714134083788_1469243472_n.jpg

1512649_692424094112792_1990138961_n.jpg

No one lives in a vacuum, dude (though some do live on the space station surrounded by vacuum).

As demonstrated by a guy who believes that blacks were so happy prior to the civil rights act that they didn't sing the blues (despite the fact that they INVENTED it).

Oh really? Whose running the multimillion dollar empire and whose not? Speaks for all the self proclaimed intellectuals on this board, doesn't it?

You should post your picture here. No doubt you too have a Zztop beard. Congratulations.

Oh, and what of his comments about the Japanese and gays? Was he right there as well? Or just right - wing!

I have no idea what he said about the Japanese, but he was spot on with his statements about gays.

Hey ned? Occupy was protesting without permits, on top of that they were disturbing the peace. The First Amendment doesn't protect you from the consequences of your actions, remember? You can't use your first amendment rights to infringe on the rights of others.

Get your head in the game.

This isn't about the First Amendment or religious freedom. It's about how far a network will go to punish someone who won't fall into line.

The big difference is, Phil Robertson is not an actor who was hired to play a part in a television show. If that's what A&E wanted, they should have issued a casting call and done it with professionals. He can't be punished like an actor would be punished. They chose the wrong person to manipulate by ordinary means.

That has already been proven wrong, but like every braindead rightwing robot, you keep repeating it.

The big difference is, Phil Robertson is not an actor who was hired to play a part in a television show. If that's what A&E wanted, they should have issued a casting call and done it with professionals. He can't be punished like an actor would be punished. They chose the wrong person to manipulate by ordinary means.

That has already been proven wrong, but like every braindead rightwing robot, you keep repeating it.

Actually NO it hasn't.

I'm still trying to figure out when Robertson was choppin' cotton with the coloreds,

before the civil rights era.

btw, he started dating his future wife when she was 14 and he was 18.

Oh? And here you are screaming at the top of your lungs about people not being able to dictate who should date and marry whom, yet you begrudge the man of dating a minor. Hypocrite.

Oh really? Whose running the multimillion dollar empire and whose not? Speaks for all the self proclaimed intellectuals on this board, doesn't it?

Wow, you must be strong as well as hairy. Look how fast you moved that goalpost. I am so impressed.

To the left? Being gay is like being black...they equate 'gay' with race...it's absurd.

Uh, no, actually, the old fart said really stupid and incredibly ignorant racist shit about blacks. Nothing nearly as brain dead, over the top, racist as this, however -

YES black people were much happier in those days, less filled with rage and resentment, less entitled. Not only that, but they were a better people with strong families and safe neighborhoods. It has long puzzled me why black people traded their integrity for a welfare check. After all, Robertson was not making a general commentary on the state of civil rights. He was expressing his personal observations as he worked in the fields side by side with black men. Those men likely went home to wives and children. Something they don't do today. If someone had asked me that same question, I would have answered it the exact same way.

Forum List

Back