Freedom of Religious Opinion? Not If You're Phil Robertson

That right there is the first I've read of the interview but obviously if you're A&E and this is your "Talent" talking you're seeing a significant swath of your viewership insulted.

Kinda hard to defend sump'm like that.

And yet 2 posters today told me that the way GLAAD reacted was either

1) criminal, or,

2) ought to be.

P.S. the quote above was from a different rant by 'Phil' that was discovered after he gave people reason to look.

Perhaps if you were treated in such a fashion, you'd change your mind. You never ever know someone until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Frankly, the man is 67 years old, lived through Jim Crow, was a flaming, drug doing, sex happy hippie from the 60's, he had to flee Arkansas after beating a bar owner and his wife to a pulp at a bar. Then someone led him to Christ. Now, when he remembers what he used to be and what he is now, he rightfully proclaims his faith.

It should be criminal to seek the destruction of a man for having an opinion. Given that our law says otherwise and protects the right of someone to be spiteful to another, that is an impossibility. What those two people were doing was voicing an opinion, not a desire to criminalize anything. Try looking up those two words when you get the chance.

Yeah, well, Paul Hill called himself a Christian too, a devout one, and acted out his faith by shooting an abortion doctor.

Saying what you do, or say, comes from your religion doesn't automatically put it under the protection of the Constitution, nor immunize it from criticism, nor magically make it legal.

Dude has 80 million in the bank and folk believe someone is going to destroy him with words.
The Christian victim crowd has blown this thing completely up and out of control.
Borderline made the entire thing up.
The man has been punished by his employer.
Completely legal and happens every day.

Dude name Fred gets tatoos of Jesus on his forehead.
Customers complain.
Dude gets fired.
But he should be able to express his religious views any way he wants to.
Same thing.
Where are all the "We want Fred" supporters?

Perhaps if you were treated in such a fashion, you'd change your mind. You never ever know someone until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Frankly, the man is 67 years old, lived through Jim Crow, was a flaming, drug doing, sex happy hippie from the 60's, he had to flee Arkansas after beating a bar owner and his wife to a pulp at a bar. Then someone led him to Christ. Now, when he remembers what he used to be and what he is now, he rightfully proclaims his faith.

It should be criminal to seek the destruction of a man for having an opinion. Given that our law says otherwise and protects the right of someone to be spiteful to another, that is an impossibility. What those two people were doing was voicing an opinion, not a desire to criminalize anything. Try looking up those two words when you get the chance.

He lived through Jim Crow? That must have been horrible for him.

Not all relish black suffering like you democrats do

tapatalk post

::::wwwhoooooosshhh:::: right over his head.

I'm gonna write to A&E and suggest a new show: "TheNatos TheNuttery"

On the flip side of this Robertson CAN say what he wants to and should always be able to.
And he should never try to be anything that he is not.
Reminds me of what my grandmother would always lead me to.
Her book collection which I still have many today.

This one hit home to me and is relevant here:
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Freedom of Religious Opinion?

Anybody has the right to speak out, but depending on the situation, they can be rebuked severely.

Antares does not understand that, though. He just spittles on his chin.

So I can fire someone for attacking Christianity and it's traditions?

How about political opinions? If an employee of my voices an opinion I don't like, can I fire them?

Man oh man, you have never heard of a right to work state?
And on top of that let me say it AGAIN:
Your 1st amendment rights of free speech, religious or otherwise, protect you against the power of GOVERNMENT LIMITING IT, NOT your employer.
How many times do I have to post that FACT?

Ok, cool. So should I be able to fire someone for striking, after all, a corporation should have the right to fire anyone they wish.

Freedom of Religious Opinion?

Anybody has the right to speak out, but depending on the situation, they can be rebuked severely.

Antares does not understand that, though. He just spittles on his chin.

How about political opinions? If an employee of my voices an opinion I don't like, can I fire them?

Your 1st amendment rights of free speech, religious or otherwise, protect you against the power of GOVERNMENT LIMITING IT, NOT your employer.

I think people understand this. they are just criticizing a society in which not towing the pc line can cost you your job. In principal, I agree with the general principle a corporation should be able to fire whom they wish, however, that doesn't mean I won't criticize the general cultural tend towards political correctness. I have just as much a right to criticize a corporation for caving to the homosexual lobby as A&E has the right to fire Phil Robertson.

Ok, cool. So should I be able to fire someone for striking, after all, a corporation should have the right to fire anyone they wish.

In most all states you can, even Michigan now as they just voted to right to work state.
That is what a right to work state means.
Fire at will except for Federal guidelines but you can pretty much fire anyone for anything.
I tell my clients to forget the drug testing and all that crap. If you have an employee you want to fire for whatever reason next time they come in to work 1 minute late give them a written warning.
Next time they are one second late fire them for that.
Keeps worms in the can.

I think people understand this. they are just criticizing a society in which not towing the pc line can cost you your job. In principal, I agree with the general principle a corporation should be able to fire whom they wish, however, that doesn't mean I won't criticize the general cultural tend towards political correctness. I have just as much a right to criticize a corporation for caving to the homosexual lobby as A&E has the right to fire Phil Robertson.

How is wanting to protect your property rights PC?
That is what this is all about, the image that A & E wants to have is one of inclusion.
That is their right to protect their investment and has nothing to do with PC crowd.
If it is politically correct to give gays and lesbians the respect they deserve then so be it.

In most all states you can, even Michigan now as they just voted to right to work state.
Fire at will except for Federal guidelines but you can pretty much fire anyone for anything.
I tell my clients to forget the drug testing and all that crap. If you have an employee you want to fire for whatever reason next time they come in to work 1 minute late give them a written warning.
Keeps worms in the can.
I am talking about your personal opinion though, your morals, not the law. Do you think it is acceptable for a corporation to fire whomever they want for whatever reason they want, or is there a line?

That is what this is all about, the image that A & E wants to have is one of inclusion.
That is their right to protect their investment and has nothing to do with PC crowd.
If it is politically correct to give gays and lesbians the respect they deserve then so be it.

Phil Robertson doesn't threaten the property rights of A&E. That is a foolish thing to say.

What is PC is caving to insensitive homosexuals who don't care about the show, and never watched the show. They merely want to enforce conformity of thought.

I don't think the left will get what they want in this regard. Their show will continue to make money through merchandise and probably get a new tv deal. The left has been terrible at boycotts recently. I think their effort to enforce conformity of thought will fail.

Keeps worms in the can.
I am talking about your personal opinion though, your morals, not the law. Do you think it is acceptable for a corporation to fire whomever they want for whatever reason they want, or is there a line?

Who determines where the line is?
Those that have their life savings invested in the company, you, I or government?
There is not a set of rules and a one size fits all line.
I own 3 businesses. I set different lines for each but only employ people in one of them.
My morals may be different than the next guy's morals.

Keeps worms in the can.

Those that have their life savings invested in the company, you, I or government?
I own 3 businesses. I set different lines for each but only employ people in one of them.

I know your morals may be different, hence why I am asking you what they are. In your opinion, should an employer have the absolute right to fire who he wishes for whatever reason?

Phil Robertson doesn't threaten the property rights of A&E. That is a foolish thing to say.

What is PC is caving to insensitive homosexuals who don't care about the show, and never watched the show. They merely want to enforce conformity of thought.

I don't think the left will get what they want in this regard. Their show will continue to make money through merchandise and probably get a new tv deal. The left has been terrible at boycotts recently. I think their effort to enforce conformity of thought will fail.

A & E believed he did. Ratings going down is what this is all about.
The show is their property and they have a right to punish any employee they want that the believe lowers their ratings and/or image.
Hate to tell you this but a smart business owner does not want folks that they employ badmouthing gay folk.
Gay folk are customers. That is what this is all about. Customers buy the products the advertisers sell on Duck Dynasty. A & E charges millions to run an ad on their show.
A & E owns the rights to Duck Dynasty. They call the shots.

I know your morals may be different, hence why I am asking you what they are. In your opinion, should an employer have the absolute right to fire who he wishes for whatever reason?

Of course they should if it is not against the law and employment law is well known.
No one has a right to a job.

So no gay folk ever watched the show.
Talk about a foolish thing to say.

No, not many, exceptions to the rule don't break the rule. He didn't even say it on the show. The homosexual lobby dug for something and found it. They aren't about "tolerance". They are about normalization of their lifestyle, and their lifestyle having equal or higher social value than heterosexual relationships. They are about conformity of thought.

Of course they should if it is not against the law and employment law is well known.
No one has a right to a job.

So your morals are exactly in line with our current employment laws?

[

Well, I'm certainly glad that his belief in an invisible sky pixie is what is keeping him from being a murderous psychopath. Of course, most of us are able to not be psychopaths without believing in a homophobic, racist and misogynistic sky fairy.

No, seriously, fuck him because he's still a bad person. Religion is just making him a different kind of bad.

[It should be criminal to seek the destruction of a man for having an opinion. Given that our law says otherwise and protects the right of someone to be spiteful to another, that is an impossibility. What those two people were doing was voicing an opinion, not a desire to criminalize anything. Try looking up those two words when you get the chance.

Oh, horseshit.

Our law says that the GOVERNMENT can't penalize you having an opinion.

It does not say the rest of society can't.

He voiced an opinion. Everyone else has a right to act based on those opinions, whether it be taking his show off the air, or pulling his products from the store shelves, or simply telling him he is out of line.

Forum List

Back