Fried Chicken and Watermelon to Celebrate Black History Month

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Why not? What's the controversy? Watermelon comes from Africa and, before the arrival of African slaves, frying in oil was unknown in Europe and the Americas.

But, we've become so stupidly sensitive to so-called PC stuff that things like this happen:

Controversial Black History Month Lunch Menu Prompts Concord School To Apologize
“When I first saw that, I was confused. I didn’t understand why our school would do this because we’re totally against that kind of stuff,” said Gianna Scoma, a junior at Carondelet.

What kind of “that stuff”? Another uneducated twit in a California school. Read the full piece @ Controversial Black History Month Lunch Menu Prompts Concord School To Apologize « CBS San Francisco

:eusa_whistle:

Fried Chicken and Watermelon to Celebrate Black History Month

It is called soul food and it's all delicious. I'm happy I was brought up in the South and had all that great food. :D :clap2:

Why not? What's the controversy? Watermelon comes from Africa and, before the arrival of African slaves, frying in oil was unknown in Europe and the Americas.

But, we've become so stupidly sensitive to so-called PC stuff that things like this happen:

Controversial Black History Month Lunch Menu Prompts Concord School To Apologize
“When I first saw that, I was confused. I didn’t understand why our school would do this because we’re totally against that kind of stuff,” said Gianna Scoma, a junior at Carondelet.

What kind of “that stuff”? Another uneducated twit in a California school. Read the full piece @ Controversial Black History Month Lunch Menu Prompts Concord School To Apologize « CBS San Francisco

:eusa_whistle:

Trollin', trollin', trollin'

White people eat just as much fried chicken and watermelon as blacks. The association of fried chicken and watermelon dates to a very racist movie, Birth of a Nation in 1915 in which blacks were portrayed as shiftless and lazy and showed them devouring fried chicken and watermelon. That image really solidified the way white people thought of black people. In thousands of cartoon, black people were pictured stuffing watermelon in their mouth or waving drumsticks. It's racial stereotyping meant to convey the message that blacks are all unsophisticated and lack the intelligence to eat anything other than food the most simplest food.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaKoqNvHdEw]Black dude eating a watermelon. - YouTube[/ame]

I don't think anyone wants to be inaccurately characterized like this and it's certainly not appropriate for black history month.

Last edited:
This song by "The Marylanders", which clearly evidences the musical style of black performers, seems to be pandering to the stereotyped association between blacks and fried chicken.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkfsj0sN2us]Fried Chicken by The Marylanders.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

White people eat just as much fried chicken and watermelon as blacks. The association of fried chicken and watermelon dates to a very racist movie, Birth of a Nation in 1915 in which blacks were portrayed as shiftless and lazy and showed them devouring fried chicken and watermelon. That image really solidified the way white people thought of black people. In thousands of cartoon, black people were pictured stuffing watermelon in their mouth or waving drumsticks. It's racial stereotyping meant to convey the message that blacks are all unsophisticated and lack the intelligence to eat anything other than food the most simplest food.

Black dude eating a watermelon. - YouTube

I don't think anyone wants to be inaccurately characterized like this and it's certainly not appropriate for black history month.

so you really think school kids know about a film that is 100 years old?

I love both fried chicken and watermelon. Whats funny is that I know plenty of white people that do too.

Fried chicken is fucking good. I like water melon too, if its seedless. I hate eating any fruit with seeds. These might be MORE popular in the black community, but they don't own it. Everyone loves that shit.

They dont have to know about the film. They are just taught the attitudes handed down from people brainwashed by the movie.

They dont have to know about the film. They are just taught the attitudes handed down from people brainwashed by the movie.

really? ive never seen the movie...and i doubt my parents saw it either. It is after all.... almost 100 years old.

really? ive never seen the movie...and i doubt my parents saw it either. It is after all.... almost 100 years old.

If you are the type of person that believes only Black people eat chicken and watermelon someone in your family saw it and passed it down or it was taught to you by someone affected by that movie. Thats where the stereotype came from. It was a national campaign to change public opinion concerning Black people. True story.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/cultureshock/flashpoints/theater/birthofanation_a.html

Last edited:

If you are the type of person that believes only Black people eat chicken and watermelon someone in your family saw it and passed it down or it was taught to you by someone affected by that movie. Thats where the stereotype came from. It was a national campaign to change public opinion concerning Black people. True story.

Culture Shock: Flashpoints: Theater, Film, and Video: D.W. Griffith's The Birth of a Nation

i have never
heard of anyone who thought that black people were the only ones who eat fired chicken and watermelon.

Culture Shock: Flashpoints: Theater, Film, and Video: D.W. Griffith's The Birth of a Nation

i have never
heard of anyone who thought that black people were the only ones who eat fired chicken and watermelon.

Tell me you are kidding. You never heard of that stereotype until now?

i have never

Tell me you are kidding. You never heard of that stereotype until now?

not kidding in the least.

It reminds me of the stereotype that all white people eat macaroni and cheese with bread crumbs or potato chips on top. I personally think that is disgusting but I have witnessed it before.

Forum List

Back