Frozen wind turbines hamper Texas power output

And where have we been talking about clean coal?

It's probably possible to capture all the CO2 from a coal plant but that will make coal more expensive.

It comes up because in addition to wind and solar, the other fielded "alternative" is biomass conversion" which is originally sold under your rubric of "net zero CO2" if you burn a "crop" like trees or even hemp.. And the question is -- how do you burn trees or hemp cleanly if you cannot burn coal cleanly? It's really no different in terms of REAL POLLUTANTS. In reality, MOST FIELDED biomass incinerators are now burning garbage, because "wood waste" is an oxymoron.. Nothing is really wasted in logging and lumbering.

Coal plants could use 40 years of improving stack scrubbing technology and owners have been WILLING to upgrade, but they cannot get the permits since EPA science and called CO2 a pollutant. The govt wont permit unless they include CO2 mitigation.

Not much diff between old carbon coal and trees. Not like those coal veins lying close to surface are ACTUALLY totally sequestered.. They naturally combine with benzene and other hydrocarbons and leak into the atmos all the time.. Either as CO2 or nat gas.. That's how you get "flaming ponds" and smelly tap water in certain areas near deposits.
there is a difference.

Coal is sequestered carbon that will never make it back into the environment or the atmosphere.

a tree that decays in the forest releases its carbon just like it does when it is burned into the environment so the carbon in a tree is never really sequestered.

A helicopter running on fossil fuel spraying a chemical made from fossil fuels onto a wind turbine made with fossils fuels during an ice storm is awesome.

View attachment 457666
except it wasn't so. that footage is from 2014 in Sweden. fake news from MSM yet again.

The irony of this event is oh so delicious

Nearly half of Texas' installed wind power generation capacity has been offline because of frozen wind turbines in West Texas, according to Texas grid operators.

Wind farms across the state generate up to a combined 25,100 megawatts of energy. But unusually moist winter conditions in West Texas brought on by the weekend's freezing rain and historically low temperatures have iced many of those wind turbines to a halt.

Where's the "irony"? :dunno:
Check Weatherman2020's post on this earlier. He illustrated with helicopter spraying petrichemical deicer on the wind turbines to get rid of the ice so they could make green energy. :auiqs.jpg:

But seriously, is this a matter of ice on the blades?

One of our local radio stations has had a shitty signal lately which I strongly suspect is the effect of de-icers on the antenna not working. Ice will fuck up things that need to be smooth as it changes the shape. Anyone who subscribes to satellite TV probably knows this too. And of course in the case of a propeller it changes the whole weight and balance.

Wind turbine blades should have de-icers on them, at least if they're in a climate where ice is likely. And maybe they do but not in Texas.
When Maine had the Mother of all ice storms in 1998, very few people had generators; even most gas stations didn't, which was causing the electric crews called in to help to run out of gas. 3" of ice encased the state; transmission lines fell like a row of dominoes, electric was down for a week and a half. Most people around here have wells, so along with the misery of no lights, no heat, no tv, and living on devilled ham sandwiches, most people also had no running water. We tried melting buckets of snow to flush the toilet, but it was too damned cold in the house for it to melt. After that storm, a lot of people started investing in pellet stoves or generators and most gas stations now have enough backup to at least pump gas (and hopefully make coffee). They're not expecting anything like it for a hundred years. Maybe Texas, too, will start planning for the unforeseen. It seems like defrosters on the turbines should be standard, at any rate.

Very cool, I'm jealous. I love natural disasters, well at least the ones that involve power outages.

I have the same issue here. When the power goes out the first thing that comes to mind is: "You get ONE flush, make it count". Actually if there's a power outage it usually means the creek just across the way is swollen with water, so I'll take a bucket over there to refill the toilet tank. For drinking and cooking I have backup stored water to tide me over until if need be I can drive up the road to a local spring. Wood stove and/or propane camping stove for cooking. If it's arctic weather and the reefer is off I can just store food out in the car. That's why I like power outages -- it makes ya get creative. And if you live in a lighted area (I don't any more) you get to see stars.
are you saying one can't see stars at night even with lights on? are you actually saying that? hahaahahaahahaha dude, you're indeed hilarious. stand up comic.

Nearly half of Texas' installed wind power generation capacity has been offline because of frozen wind turbines in West Texas, according to Texas grid operators.

Wind farms across the state generate up to a combined 25,100 megawatts of energy. But unusually moist winter conditions in West Texas brought on by the weekend's freezing rain and historically low temperatures have iced many of those wind turbines to a halt.

Check Weatherman2020's post on this earlier. He illustrated with helicopter spraying petrichemical deicer on the wind turbines to get rid of the ice so they could make green energy. :auiqs.jpg:

One of our local radio stations has had a shitty signal lately which I strongly suspect is the effect of de-icers on the antenna not working. Ice will fuck up things that need to be smooth as it changes the shape. Anyone who subscribes to satellite TV probably knows this too. And of course in the case of a propeller it changes the whole weight and balance.

Wind turbine blades should have de-icers on them, at least if they're in a climate where ice is likely. And maybe they do but not in Texas.
When Maine had the Mother of all ice storms in 1998, very few people had generators; even most gas stations didn't, which was causing the electric crews called in to help to run out of gas. 3" of ice encased the state; transmission lines fell like a row of dominoes, electric was down for a week and a half. Most people around here have wells, so along with the misery of no lights, no heat, no tv, and living on devilled ham sandwiches, most people also had no running water. We tried melting buckets of snow to flush the toilet, but it was too damned cold in the house for it to melt. After that storm, a lot of people started investing in pellet stoves or generators and most gas stations now have enough backup to at least pump gas (and hopefully make coffee). They're not expecting anything like it for a hundred years. Maybe Texas, too, will start planning for the unforeseen. It seems like defrosters on the turbines should be standard, at any rate.

Very cool, I'm jealous. I love natural disasters, well at least the ones that involve power outages.

I have the same issue here. When the power goes out the first thing that comes to mind is: "You get ONE flush, make it count". Actually if there's a power outage it usually means the creek just across the way is swollen with water, so I'll take a bucket over there to refill the toilet tank. For drinking and cooking I have backup stored water to tide me over until if need be I can drive up the road to a local spring. Wood stove and/or propane camping stove for cooking. If it's arctic weather and the reefer is off I can just store food out in the car. That's why I like power outages -- it makes ya get creative. And if you live in a lighted area (I don't any more) you get to see stars.
are you saying one can't see stars at night even with lights on? are you actually saying that? hahaahahaahahaha dude, you're indeed hilarious. stand up comic.
Another townie.

Another townie.
I'm sorry, I am unfamiliar with nonsense.

Another townie.
No one realizes it until you get someplace far from the lights of town, but there are actually so many stars in the sky it looks messy. We only see the brightest ones living in areas with street lights, business lights, that burn all night. It's amazing. I hope someday you get to see them.

`
Frozen Wind Farms Are Just a Small Piece of Texas’s Power Woes

""Don’t point too many fingers at Texas wind turbines, because they’re Not the main reason broad swaths of the state have been plunged into darkness.

While ice has forced some turbines to shut down just as a brutal cold wave drives record electricity demand, that’s been the Least significant factor in the blackouts, according to Dan Woodfin, a senior director for the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which operates the state’s power grid."...."

`

Why didn't the govt in texas spend the $ to deal with weather like this? Sounds like a complete lack of planning. Any power generating facility should be able to withstand cold temps.

Another townie.
No one realizes it until you get someplace far from the lights of town, but there are actually so many stars in the sky it looks messy. We only see the brightest ones living in areas with street lights, business lights, that burn all night. It's amazing. I hope someday you get to see them.
Light pollution.

Another townie.
Light pollution.
I knew the left lived in darkness. Now confirmed

Last edited:
A helicopter running on fossil fuel spraying a chemical made from fossil fuels onto a wind turbine made with fossils fuels during an ice storm is awesome.

View attachment 457666

According to Lefties, this is called progress.
Thanks

That is living, alright. If you have never camp way up a mountain in Colorado with no lights for miles and the dry air crystal clear, like you cannot imagine in even a small Tennessee town, you have indeed missed out on beauty of a clear night sky.

1613587243271.png

Another townie.

Read your own posts.

Another townie.
Light pollution.

International Dark Sky Association

View attachment 457666
You sound just like Trump--make stuff up as you cheerfully skip down the path.
Truthfulness? NAH
Read before you flap.
Top stories
Texas power outage: Why natural gas went down during the winter storm
The Texas Tribune·1 day ago

View attachment 457666
You sound just like Trump--make stuff up as you cheerfully skip down the path.
Truthfulness? NAH
Read before you flap.
Top stories
Texas power outage: Why natural gas went down during the winter storm
The Texas Tribune·1 day ago
Shitforbrains thinks all solar plants and wind turbines THAT THE FEDS REQUIRED TO BE BUILT produce no electricity.

Forum List

Back