Gas Stove vs Electric Stove

Depends on where you live.
In an apartment setting I would not want a gas range. Which is why few apartment complexes allow gas. Those that do, literally live in a minefield of often decades old appliances, installed and maintained by very low income workers, and employed by companies whose goal is to provide the least amount of maintenance as possible.
Home gas line explosions are extremely rare. When gas explosions take place, it is virtually always an appliance that starts leaking... not the pipeline itself. Usually from old appliances that were poorly installed.

Gas heat, hot water, and cooking totally rocks by comparison of electric.

Almost unending supply of hot water for the shower. And it recovers quickly.
Heat is cheap and good too. Especially with the rates constantly rising. And isn't subject to blackouts from ice storms or snowstorms or even hurricanes. And with the advent of EVs and a grid unprepared for them...this is going to be a huge problem.

Cooking with a modern gas stove is awesome. No monoxide is created at all so there's no ventilation needed. And the heat is instant...you don't turn on the stove and then get your ingredients for the pan. Completely different...you get ingredients first and then turn on the eye.

Much more effective and efficient.

And those explosions? Ok...it's not like they didn't know it was coming. Cross threaded pipes, no thread tape or the wrong thread tape used. No leak detection of any sort used ever. (That smell of shit or rotten eggs should be telling you something).
The flexible lines are steel wire reinforced and triple walled...if you break one you had to try. It was deliberate. And there's a valve on each drop to each appliance. There's no excuse...

Well, I guess living in fear is one way to go...
this is not living in fear. the fear of getting burned is to prevent you from making the wrong decision. if you make the right decision and choose electric, you do not have to live in fear of getting burned or killed by gas.

Depends on where you live.
In an apartment setting I would not want a gas range. Which is why few apartment complexes allow gas. Those that do, literally live in a minefield of often decades old appliances, installed and maintained by very low income workers, and employed by companies whose goal is to provide the least amount of maintenance as possible.
Home gas line explosions are extremely rare. When gas explosions take place, it is virtually always an appliance that starts leaking... not the pipeline itself. Usually from old appliances that were poorly installed.
i have seen gas lines reported on the news that caused whole apartment buildings to explode.

Heat is cheap and good too. Especially with the rates constantly rising. And isn't subject to blackouts from ice storms or snowstorms or even hurricanes. And with the advent of EVs and a grid unprepared for them...this is going to be a huge problem.

Cooking with a modern gas stove is awesome. No monoxide is created at all so there's no ventilation needed. And the heat is instant...you don't turn on the stove and then get your ingredients for the pan. Completely different...you get ingredients first and then turn on the eye.

And those explosions? Ok...it's not like they didn't know it was coming. Cross threaded pipes, no thread tape or the wrong thread tape used. No leak detection of any sort used ever. (That smell of shit or rotten eggs should be telling you something).
The flexible lines are steel wire reinforced and triple walled...if you break one you had to try. It was deliberate. And there's a valve on each drop to each appliance. There's no excuse...
I hate-hate-hated cooking with an electric stove. HATED. Thankfully I only had one for a couple years of my whole life.
Gas cooktops are sooooooo much better. And absolutely, as you say, gas lines/connections are triple safe. When you read of gas explosions it is almost always during some construction taking place and some dumbass just starts knocking walls down or a homeowner installs an appliance on his own having no experience in the proper way to do it.

thanks for the indepth response. i'll still take an electric over gas anytime.

i obviously do not have a record of that to post here. it is from watching the national news. you will just have to take my word on that.
i watch the national news and havent seen what your talking about for at least 10 years...so no we cant take your word for it...

So all you "know" is what the tv tells you.
Tin hat stuff.
As long as you have modern appliances installed by someone who knows what they are doing and are reputable, the risk is very low.
There are 1000 times more electrical fires in homes than gas. On average, killing about 500 people every year. Gas explosions account for less than 10% that.
You have 10 times the risk of dying from electric failures than gas.

I hate electric stoves.
I finally ran a gas line to the kitchen myself and now have a nice modern gas range and oven with the microwave vent system above.

Working in construction I have knowledge of codes and can pretty much do most work for myself.
Even ran power underground myself to a new second garage I built, and wired the entire thing up to code with 100 amp service. Next is running a gas line out there for a proper garage furnace.

i watch the national news and havent seen what your talking about for at least 10 years...so no we cant take your word for it...
i keep an ear out for those stories about gas explosions. maybe you are not paying attention to those stories but i see and hear them. especially in recent years.

this is not living in fear. the fear of getting burned is to prevent you from making the wrong decision. if you make the right decision and choose electric, you do not have to live in fear of getting burned or killed by gas.
You are afraid of something that almost never happens.

If you want to use electric stoves, water heaters and home heating go ahead but you don't get to tell other people what to do.

My propane on demand water heater provides both heat for my radiant floor system and all my personal hot water needs and is 94% efficient. My household energy costs are far lower than an all electric powered household and in the 30 years or more that I have used natural gas or propane I have never once had any safety issues.

So you go ahead and pay your sky high electric bills if you want to

i keep an ear out for those stories about gas explosions. maybe you are not paying attention to those stories but i see and hear them. especially in recent years.
So then you should have no problem finding the statistics for those weekly home explosions you say occur.

I hate electric stoves.
I finally ran a gas line to the kitchen myself and now have a nice modern gas range and oven with the microwave vent system above.

Working in construction I have knowledge of codes and can pretty much do most work for myself.
Even ran power underground myself to a new second garage and wired the entire thing up to code. Next is running a gas line out there for a proper garage furnace.
Same here. Last summer I installed a new gas wall furnace in a building on our property. Running gas line and installing a gas appliance is sort of like handing firearms. You operate under the assumption that every connection you make leaks. Checking every single connection, every single time. I also prefer pipe dope to teflon also.

So all you "know" is what the tv tells you.
no, i know alot more information outside tv news. that's just the mainstream media that is talking about the gas explosions. and i take it to be true, unless found otherwise.

Forum List

Back