Gay groups stepping up demands to be allowed to donate blood

If you really support gay rights, you are willing to die rather than question them.

Whatever it takes to keep down the infection rate.

If there is a sound scientific and medical basis - as translated into defensible statistics - which indicates that a segment of our population should be denied the ability to donate blood, then do it - or continue to do it.

Health and safety are the end-all-be-all in this context, and feelings don't matter a damn.

If there is no basis for denying (or continuing to deny), then, it's OK to drop the ban.

Otherwise... not so much... and sensibilities and hurt feelings be damned.

All donated blood is already tested for HIV, and a policy of not allowing gay men to donate is not stopping gay men from donating. I know this may shock you, but gay men don't have a tattoo on their forehead that says "I like men" and you also have no proof that getting rid of the policy (which is impossible to enforce) would increase the risk "seven times". :rolleyes:

You really don't get it, do you?

THIS IS NOT ABOUT THEM BEING GAY, IT IS ABOUT NOT SPREADING DISEASE. THIS IS A HEALTH ISSUE, NOT A LEGAL ONE.

A gay person who has always used protection would be banned from donating blood? Why? When some heterosexual slut can walk in off the street and make a donation?

Did I say that?

No.

What I said is that this is a public health and safety issue, not one you can pretend is about discrimination against gays. Did you know that Australia will not accept blood from anyone who spent more than 6 months in the UK between 1980 and 1986? Is that discrimination?

You sound very passionate about preventing gay men from donating blood.

As to the bolded, youre full of shit:)

When the ban on gay men was put in place, we knew next to nothing about HIV, so it made sense to be as cautious as possible. As of right now, we can detect the HIV virus within days of infection. D A Y S.

A lifetime ban on specifically gay men, because they have sex with other men, is stupid and unnecessary. As I've already pointed out, I can admit to knowingly having sexual contact with someone with HIV, and not earn a lifetime ban. I can have sex with every trucker who passes the local 7-11 and still not be banned from donating blood.

Science has surpassed this ban, it surpassed it a long time ago, it's an antiquated law that needs to change with the times.

Just because you are a bigot does not mean I am. This is a public health issue and you have demonstrated you are not qualified to discuss it when you claim that it is possible to be 100% possible to make blood safe.

Bloodborne infections
Blood banks screen donors for risk factors and test donated blood to reduce the risk of transfusion-related infections, but they occasionally still occur. It can take weeks or months after a blood transfusion to determine that you've been infected with a virus, bacterium or parasite.
Estimated risks of contracting these diseases after you receive a blood transfusion:

• HIV — 1 in 2.3 million transfusions.
  • Human T-lymphotropic virus — 1 of every 2 million transfusions.
  • Hepatitis B — 1 in 350,000 transfusions.
  • Hepatitis C affects — 1 in 2 million transfusions.
  • West Nile virus — 1 of every 350,000 units of blood in the United States.
  • Sepsis (bacterial infection of the blood) — 1 in 1 million transfusions.

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blood-transfusion/MY01054/DSECTION=risks

What is stupid and unnecessary is the entire idea of blood transfusions. Science has surpassed the need for it almost completely, but the medical community still clings to it because that is what their grandfathers did.

You sound very passionate about preventing gay men from donating blood.

As to the bolded, youre full of shit:)

When the ban on gay men was put in place, we knew next to nothing about HIV, so it made sense to be as cautious as possible. As of right now, we can detect the HIV virus within days of infection. D A Y S.

A lifetime ban on specifically gay men, because they have sex with other men, is stupid and unnecessary. As I've already pointed out, I can admit to knowingly having sexual contact with someone with HIV, and not earn a lifetime ban. I can have sex with every trucker who passes the local 7-11 and still not be banned from donating blood.

Science has surpassed this ban, it surpassed it a long time ago, it's an antiquated law that needs to change with the times.

Just because you are a bigot does not mean I am. This is a public health issue and you have demonstrated you are not qualified to discuss it when you claim that it is possible to be 100% possible to make blood safe.

Bloodborne infections
Blood banks screen donors for risk factors and test donated blood to reduce the risk of transfusion-related infections, but they occasionally still occur. It can take weeks or months after a blood transfusion to determine that you've been infected with a virus, bacterium or parasite.
Estimated risks of contracting these diseases after you receive a blood transfusion:

• HIV — 1 in 2.3 million transfusions.
  • Human T-lymphotropic virus — 1 of every 2 million transfusions.
  • Hepatitis B — 1 in 350,000 transfusions.
  • Hepatitis C affects — 1 in 2 million transfusions.
  • West Nile virus — 1 of every 350,000 units of blood in the United States.
  • Sepsis (bacterial infection of the blood) — 1 in 1 million transfusions.

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blood-transfusion/MY01054/DSECTION=risks

What is stupid and unnecessary is the entire idea of blood transfusions. Science has surpassed the need for it almost completely, but the medical community still clings to it because that is what their grandfathers did.

Proof?

So lying is cool especially where lives are at stake? Do you think it is okay for people on medications that can cause birth defects in women to lie about it and donate blood? People donate blood to help others. What kind if asshole would choose to put others at risk then have fucking bigger assholes apologize for them. Why are people like you such assholes?

So lying is cool especially where lives are at stake? Do you think it is okay for people on medications that can cause birth defects in women to lie about it and donate blood? People donate blood to help others. What kind if asshole would choose to put others at risk then have fucking bigger assholes apologize for them. Why are people like you such assholes?

There is no reason to deny a gay man the right to donate blood if he is using contraception and is not sleeping around.

There is no reason to deny a gay man the right to donate blood if he is using contraception and is not sleeping around.

No gay man on this planet uses contraception because they have zero risk of getting pregnant.

No gay man on this planet uses contraception because they have zero risk of getting pregnant.

Gay men will use contraception when they have sex.

They should still use condoms because of STD's.

Forum List

Back