'Generation Gimme': Can We or Should We Afford Them?

'Generation Gimme': Can We Or Should We Afford Them?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyXtKDd2J68&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL8933BF19B87DC1CA]The Man Show - Blow Darts - YouTube[/ame]

Some of this is actually pretty funny. But, it is one of the many reasons that I cannot take Carolla seriously.

The Entitlement mentality does seem to be gripping our nation at this point. Personal responsibility seems pretty much out the window now. But can we or should we afford 'Generation Gimme?'

We are over 15trillion dollars in total debt and run annual defecits of over a trillion dollars.

My answer is we can't afford them.

Also people need to take personal responsibility for the own success and failure in life. yes we can have safety nets like unemployment but people shouldn't be guaranteed anything more than an opportunity to succeed, no govt checks to provide financial success.

My answer is we shouldn't encourage them.

HEY! I just found out that I have a lesion on my spinal cord within my cervical spine the other day. (Not looking for "I'm sorrys, or God blesses"). But the good news is that I also have two bulging disks in my lumbar spine. So ya know what that means? It means that now I can walk down to the SS office and get on disability. :razz:

I can soon get the placard for my rear-view mirror, and get me a scooterchair. Even though I never would have known that my lower back had disk issues without the MRI, (because it doesn't hurt)....I can claim disability. I can squeal tires and cut off the 88 year old woman who actually needs the handicapped space. So y'all git ready. 'cause you'll soon be payin' my salary!!! WOOHOOO! I'll be living high on the hog now!

JUST A JOKE, FOLKS! As long as there's something that someone's willing to pay me for, even if I'm flat on my back (minus hooking)....I'll work.

And there are people who are actually hurt who need disability. Don't take this the wrong way. But there are INDEED, some questionable characters out there.

The Entitlement mentality does seem to be gripping our nation at this point. Personal responsibility seems pretty much out the window now. But can we or should we afford 'Generation Gimme?'

We are over 15trillion dollars in total debt and run annual defecits of over a trillion dollars.

Also people need to take personal responsibility for the own success and failure in life. yes we can have safety nets like unemployment but people shouldn't be guaranteed anything more than an opportunity to succeed, no govt checks to provide financial success.

HEY! I just found out that I have a lesion on my spinal cord within my cervical spine the other day. (Not looking for "I'm sorrys, or God blesses"). But the good news is that I also have two bulging disks in my lumbar spine. So ya know what that means? It means that now I can walk down to the SS office and get on disability. :razz:

I can soon get the placard for my rear-view mirror, and get me a scooterchair. Even though I never would have known that my lower back had disk issues without the MRI, (because it doesn't hurt)....I can claim disability. I can squeal tires and cut off the 88 year old woman who actually needs the handicapped space. So y'all git ready. 'cause you'll soon be payin' my salary!!! WOOHOOO! I'll be living high on the hog now!

JUST A JOKE, FOLKS! As long as there's something that someone's willing to pay me for, even if I'm flat on my back (minus hooking)....I'll work.

And there are people who are actually hurt who need disability. Don't take this the wrong way. But there are INDEED, some questionable characters out there.

Yeah a safety net for disabilities if you have paid into social security your whole life is fine with me.

You do know that all disability claims are rejected the first time out of hand. You must be unemployed for a full year. Than you can only work so many hours if permissable. SS only pays you enough to exist. I know plenty of people on SS and I wouldn't trade with them for anything. being on SSI is a poverty sentance.

Now the criminals on SSI who defraud the system they get to live high on the hog.

The Man Show - Blow Darts - YouTube

Some of this is actually pretty funny. But, it is one of the many reasons that I cannot take Carolla seriously.

That's cool,but listen to what he said. It's worth a listen.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjI6TMJCejg]Adam Carolla Explains The OWS Generation.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Okay...I listened...from beginning to end.

Okay, he just heard "today in California, before the economy fell apart,
that the uh...I think it was the top 1% of taxpayers paid for 50%
of the taxes that came in, here in California."
(where did he "hear" this).

I had to tune out the "participation trophy" segment. Mr. Carolla isn't
THAT much older than I. I think that he's just over the line into
THE BABY BOOMERRRRSSSSSSS! Not in a position to be
criticizing entitlement mentality. (Generations need to stop blaming each other for the downfall of this country. Considering that boomers have been at the wheel for MANY years, they shoulder the responsibility for much of the bullshit going on. And we X'rs are closing in on them, and will soon fix or further fuck up our country. Lord knows we'll have plenty of time to work on it, since we won't have SS or Medicare.)

(side note)-placed on academic probation from a community college? He had to work really hard to screw up to get that distinction.
He sounds like a real go-getter. Addie boy...you should feel REALLY
good about yourself for trying.

"The boss can't CLAP CLAP his hands together and say, 'HEY LET'S
GET BACK TO WORK HERE!'"

How many years has it been since
Addie has had such a job? And most kids who pull the "my dad's
a lawyer card" get washed out within a year. I've participated
in the psychological abuse involved.....I know. We scleppers don't want the little brats there either.

Whew! This sounds a lot like Micheal Delgiorno and Gwen his parrot.:puke:

"Get the fuck back to work!!!"]

WHERE? WHERE? Not everyone gets
rewarded for flunking out of community college.

"Self-entitled monsters".
I submit that this is pot calling the kettle black.

Paul, I respect your opinion. I listened and analyzed.

It's very difficult to listen to college dropouts insult college graduates (much of OWS...did he really mention OWS in depth? I missed it, if he did.)
If he had finished college, he would know that most people take generalizations with a grain of salt. He "heard" something? Well, I heard the dog fart earlier. It isn't radio-worthy.

I place him next to the likes of Limbaugh, Beck, and Hannity-all college dropouts. Somehow, they became millionaires. They said the right things, and the right people heard them. Tho$e with an agenda.

Many of us don't listen to them, and we don't listen to Michael Moore. Because it comes with inaccuracies. "Well, Thelma started a store after growing up in a bamboo shack, and now she owns a chain of stores, and is a multi-millionaire" (So EVERYONE who grew up in such a manner should be capable of doing the same thing.

"One person committed suicide, because she didn't have the winning lottery ticket. Lottery should be OUTLAWED!"

Closest analogies I can think of.

Peace and friendship.

The Man Show - Blow Darts - YouTube

That's cool,but listen to what he said. It's worth a listen.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjI6TMJCejg]Adam Carolla Explains The OWS Generation.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Okay...I listened...from beginning to end.

(where did he "hear" this).

I had to tune out the "participation trophy" segment. Mr. Carolla isn't
THAT much older than I. I think that he's just over the line into
THE BABY BOOMERRRRSSSSSSS! Not in a position to be
criticizing entitlement mentality. (Generations need to stop blaming each other for the downfall of this country. Considering that boomers have been at the wheel for MANY years, they shoulder the responsibility for much of the bullshit going on. And we X'rs are closing in on them, and will soon fix or further fuck up our country. Lord knows we'll have plenty of time to work on it, since we won't have SS or Medicare.)

How many years has it been since
Addie has had such a job? And most kids who pull the "my dad's
a lawyer card" get washed out within a year. I've participated
in the psychological abuse involved.....I know. We scleppers don't want the little brats there either.

Whew! This sounds a lot like Micheal Delgiorno and Gwen his parrot.:puke:

"Get the fuck back to work!!!"]

WHERE? WHERE? Not everyone gets
rewarded for flunking out of community college.

"Self-entitled monsters".
I submit that this is pot calling the kettle black.

Paul, I respect your opinion. I listened and analyzed.

It's very difficult to listen to college dropouts insult college graduates (much of OWS...did he really mention OWS in depth? I missed it, if he did.)
If he had finished college, he would know that most people take generalizations with a grain of salt. He "heard" something? Well, I heard the dog fart earlier. It isn't radio-worthy.

I place him next to the likes of Limbaugh, Beck, and Hannity-all college dropouts. Somehow, they became millionaires. They said the right things, and the right people heard them. Tho$e with an agenda.

Many of us don't listen to them, and we don't listen to Michael Moore. Because it comes with inaccuracies. "Well, Thelma started a store after growing up in a bamboo shack, and now she owns a chain of stores, and is a multi-millionaire" (So EVERYONE who grew up in such a manner should be capable of doing the same thing.

"One person committed suicide, because she didn't have the winning lottery ticket. Lottery should be OUTLAWED!"

Closest analogies I can think of.

Peace and friendship.

Fair enough. We don't have to agree. That's what a Message Board is all about. I still think he nailed it though. The Self-Entitlement Monster is here. Now what do we do? The Well's run dry. We're broke.

You do know that all disability claims are rejected the first time out of hand. You must be unemployed for a full year. Than you can only work so many hours if permissable. SS only pays you enough to exist. I know plenty of people on SS and I wouldn't trade with them for anything. being on SSI is a poverty sentance.

Now the criminals on SSI who defraud the system they get to live high on the hog.

I hope you know that this was just a joke. SS would be a last result for me. I'm no millionaire, but I net a hell of a lot more than I would on SS. I know some legitimately disabled, and I have some family members who should be caned off the sofa-because of their supposed back injuries. They walk better than I. They live in less-than-normal circumstances, but they're staggering on drugs everytime I see them.

I didn't want to come across as one of those assholes who shouts: "GET A JOB", when I see a homeless person. Not at all.

I hope you know that this was just a joke. SS would be a last result for me. I'm no millionaire, but I net a hell of a lot more than I would on SS. I know some legitimately disabled, and I have some family members who should be caned off the sofa-because of their supposed back injuries. They walk better than I. They live in less-than-normal circumstances, but they're staggering on drugs everytime I see them.

I didn't want to come across as one of those assholes who shouts: "GET A JOB", when I see a homeless person. Not at all.

It's all good, no autopsy no foul.
I knew it was a joke as you stated, but I don't think alot of people know what all comes with SSI or what it takes to get it. My wife can qualify for SSI Disability but we cannot afford for her to quit her job for a year. Now we are in the position of not being able to afford her medication either. I call on eveyone I see abusing SSI and Welfare, they are criminals giving the poor a bad name and costing them their benefits. I've noticed that people don't distinguish between criminal and poor.

Last edited:

Hey, Pilgrim. This did Joanne Jacobs write both these articles? I cannot get the first to open again.

Is she wanting to know why more of the "cupcake generation" isn't majoring in hard sciences such as biology, mathematics....or engineering, etc..? Wasn't her major in English?

I want to make certain that this is the same woman before I ask myself: "Why didn't you yourself major in mathematics or engineering, if you see things such as arts wasteful?"

Woah.....I don't know about these two. Why shouldn't everyone want to better themselves? Ms. Jacobs, is one of the lucky ones. Often, her English degrees end up "useless". Or perhaps she should retire, (considering that she is nearly 60) and give some of these "cupcakes" (who possibly have a higher GPA than she graduated with) an opportunity to write hateful or discouraging rhetoric to the younger generations.

And Michael Graham, still can't seem to locate his major, only find that he was a graduate of Oral Roberts University....which speaks volumes to me.

It seems that both of these people have one agenda-to inform the masses that Baby Boomers will ALWAYS be better and smarter. College should not be in your mind, because there are no more jobs for useless majors (like Jacobs' English) because I will continue to remind you of how useless you are, until I die. (which is when I plan to retire)

These people give me a yucky feeling. Do you really agree with them? Their articles border on being cruel.

I would like to see a percentage of retired who returned to the workforce after the economy tanked; wealthy business men who avoid paying taxes by hiring illegals,

and how well this self-aggrandizing duo would prevail, under a global economy....which did not exist when they graduated from college....with at least one degree that has been labeled as useless, by Mr. Graham.

Damn. We're too hard on these kids. We've handed them a plate of shit, and expected them to thank us for it. Fuck, I'm 36 and I can see how bad the odds are for a lot of these kids.

Divesting the wealthy and the wealth creators of everything they have and redistributing it to the worthless class isnt enough.

Once the worthless have frittered away their lottery winnings they are back to being poor. Have nots in a world of haves. Therefore the wealthy have to keep producing to satisfy the worthless. They can't just give them money and go away. It never ends. At some point the weed is gone, the organic food gone to maggots, they need MORE. And more and more.

Thinking these demands aren't permanent is too optimistic. If anything they will grow. We have a group of people dedicated to doing nothing in exchange for everything.

wow talk about class warfare.

You hate the vast majority of American workers and worship the wealthy.

Do you know that the wealthy have been shown in every study of morals to care less about their fellow man than any other group?

You must be a wealthy spoiled decendent of the monied class.

I can tell due to your complete lack of compassion for your fellow man

I personally have no compassion for my fellow man. THe wealthy though, have a great deal. The great hospitals with their state of the art specialization wings, gifts from the very wealthy. The charitable foundations founded and supported by the wealthy. There isn't a single fortune 500 company that does not have a scholarship program for students (gotta get good grades though) to go to college. Not only people, but charities that support animals. Show me a public no-kiill shelter? Yet private wealthy individuals set up state of the art no-kill shelters. All of the wild life rescue centers are supported by wealthy patrons. Make a Wish, Ronald McDonald House, St Jude's CHildren's Hospital, CIty of Hope. Not one would exist without the very wealthy. Not one of these hospitals asks for payment either. Cedars of Sinai Hospital covers several city blocks. Each wing is a gift from and supported by some wealthy family or other.

The wealthy do a hell of a lot.

Now, take your average big lotto winner. Say ten to 15 million dollars. Wouldn't you think that for a poor person this would be a lifetime of money? No. They are as bad off if not worse within five years of collecting their winnings. Drugs and gambling take up a whole lot. Just throwing it around gets the rest. Poor again, within five years. That's the mind of poverty, endlessly searching for it. Some having wasted fortunes just commit suicide.

No I am not the descendant of the wealthy monied class. I have worked, very hard, at jobs no OWS would take. I have no sympathy, or compassion, whatsoever, for the poor with a hand out. No matter how bad I have had it, and I have had it bad, the only time I put my hand out was to take up a broom or a mop or a scrub bucket. Everything I have I have clawed out. I have nothing but contempt for anyone who isn't wiling to do the same.

I mean that with all sincerity, NOTHING BUT CONTEMPT.

and that's why you and your ilk are in grave danger of burning in hell for eternity... but don't let that stop you... hate away!

Generation Gimme? Are you referring to the baby boomers, generation X, the millennials?

I don't think it's the baby boomers. We were given no slack by the lost generation. But the children of us boomers were spoiled rotten, I think. Because the methods of child rearing were sometimes too harsh on us boomers, we did not want to make the same mistakes with our kids. Thank God I did not completely buy that. But lots of fellow boomers did.

I think how we are raised determines how we ultimately turn out. Boomers made a big mistake not spanking their kids. They didn't want to give them a trauma!!! :lol: Little brats!!

I think when people don't want to work and want something for nothing, something was lacking in their upbringing. I have 13 cousins and there is not a bum among us!!! :)

Generation Gimme? Are you referring to the baby boomers, generation X, the millennials?

I don't think it's the baby boomers. We were given no slack by the lost generation. But the children of us boomers were spoiled rotten, I think. Because the methods of child rearing were sometimes too harsh on us boomers, we did not want to make the same mistakes with our kids. Thank God I did not completely buy that. But lots of fellow boomers did.

I think how we are raised determines how we ultimately turn out. Boomers made a big mistake not spanking their kids. They didn't want to give them a trauma!!! :lol: Little brats!!

I think when people don't want to work and want something for nothing, something was lacking in their upbringing. I have 13 cousins and there is not a bum among us!!! :)

Well, both of my parents were boomers, and we weren't spared the rod, I can assure you. Boomers, I'm pretty sure, are most of the government legislators, and executive that people are complaining about right now. Boomers, have been at the helm for many years. You were the baby boom generation. Your children were the baby bust generation. (Many fewer children, but also the most educated generation in recorded history.) We will have many years to WORK, to either fix or further screw up the mess that was made by at least the previous two generations...plenty of years to work (because we're repeatedly made aware that after your generation, our generation will have no SS or Medicare available to us. It's accepted reality to us). And we were the "latchkey generation". We opened the front door to ourselves after school, because both mom and dad weren't home, due to work....or divorce.

Beatings are the answer, huh? Just because your family advocated that, does not mean that it is THE WAY! Do some research on that. Watching my father (a boomer) grab my sister by the neck (though he is now a decent man) and ram her head into the wall, does not make me look highly upon boomer parenting superiority.

Gen. Xr's have been sandwiched between boomer and millenial bullshit for years. And you need to read the entire thread to understand the context-per Paulitician. He wasn't hating on one specific generation...or he told me this. This is why I asked the above question.

But most of the bullshit from Washington seems to be coming from those of around boomer age. Don't worry...we generation x members will be taking the wheel soon enough, and you'll have plenty to complain about, when we begin to make and execute policies. Hopefully, we won't make it any worse than it is, now.

Last edited:
Generation Gimme': Can We or Should We Afford Them?'

Yes we can afford them.

It's not like we are a quadrillion dollars in the hole. For god's sake its just 15 TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTrillion.

FDR confiscated our gold for our own good.

The federal reserve board can now print money until Bernanke's heart is content or until he runs out of ink, which ever comes first. I really don't see anything wrong with paying a million "dollars" for a loaf of bread.

esther La Vista.

Last edited:
Generation Gimme': Can We or Should We Afford Them?'

Yes we can afford them.

It's not like we are a quadrillion dollars in the hole. For god's sake its just 15 TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTrillion.

FDR confiscated our gold for our own good.

The federal reserve board can now print money until Bernanke's heart is content or until he runs out of ink, which ever comes first. I really don't see anything wrong with paying a million "dollars" for a loaf of bread.

esther La Vista.

So that's a No right? :)

half-of-america-has-25-of-the-wealth.jpg

Forum List

Back